Private Schools

Is anyone upset about full reopening?

>

mder

mder

Is anyone upset about full reopening?
Old 08-21-2020, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been a parochial school teacher for a while now and I have lost complete faith in the catholic school office. All the public schools around us are starting with a phased reopening -- remote --then hybrid. Instead, all the catholic schools are going full steam ahead and will only close with their local department of health tells them to, then I'm sure they'll just reopen all over again. I will be in a classroom all day with 25 students spaced 3 feet apart which means I will no longer be able to see my elderly parents out of fear of unknowingly spreading the virus to them. They obviously do not care about the catholic school teachers at all. I am absolutely furious every time I see public school teachers protesting hybrid models when our schools are worse off and we have no say. Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way?

letsgomets

Plenty of
Old 08-21-2020, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

teachers in Catholic schools feel the same way that you do. It's about one thing - money. I actually just resigned because I don't feel like it is safe enough to have face to face classes.
letsgomets is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-22-2020, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a friend whose private school is suing to reopen in person. She says 10 teachers have already resigned.

Quote:
I am absolutely furious every time I see public school teachers protesting hybrid models when our schools are worse off and we have no say.
But I don't understand this. The hybrid model is also a problem. Just because your school's plan is worse (and I agree that it is) doesn't mean their school's plan isn't worth protesting.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote
mder

mder

to Gromit
Old 08-22-2020, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes Gromit, you are correct, I am just bitter because I would love to be in the situation and they actually have some say in the matter whereas we have none.

sbslab

Old 08-23-2020, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our Archdiocesan honchos want us to open fully. Right now we are hybrid. I’m very nervous as I have several risk factors. For me, hybrid means 40-50 kids (middle school, academics) on Monday & Tuesday, then the other 40-50 on Thursday & Friday. Then there’s my “littles” (k-2, computer)...I don’t know how that will work in a hybrid model yet.

I have resigned myself to knowing I will get sick. Any one day is far more exposure than I’ve had since we left school.

sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

Opening
Old 08-30-2020, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Catholic schools have never cared about the teachers. (I taught in them for 34 years.) The only reason they are opening is for the money. They know if they go virtual many families will put their kids on the public school virtual program rather than pay tuition for it. I lost all faith in the schools by the end of my career. I just saw way too many things that were wrong in many ways. I could write a book, but that won’t help you. I feel the pain of catholic school teachers everywhere. You have a right to be furious. They are putting many people at risk.
Teach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Teach5
Old 09-02-2020, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree-40 years here. So glad I'm retired.
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

hebronharvest

Old 09-07-2020, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

All I will say is I'll do whatever. I got into arguments with teachers who don't like the conditions set and are protesting (to which I disagreed personally), but as a teacher who was laid off because of the virus and is looking for a full-time job, I'm in no position to protest and would never do it if I had a job or tenure simply because I look at people like myself without a job after working so hard to be a teacher. There's people suffering without work too, or those who have to work in poor conditions without tenure or unions, etc. who suffer far worse. I realize that doesn't alleviate the cause, but it's still notable.

That's just my take on it. I'm happy to have a long-term sub job right now. I'm very upset it's just that, but better than having nothing.

We are a hybrid model though, and no matter what is decided, I'd have the same feeling. The protests just don't make sense to me, especially since I sit with no full-time job after 17 interviews over the summer. I respect the people who choose to protest but disagree with the notion to do so.

I do agree many of the rules are not adequate and some people are limited and should be accounted for that, but I don't see protesting getting me anywhere personally and I'd happily take a job under the conditions set.
hebronharvest is offline   Reply With Quote