Help

Third Grade

STEM Without Groups?

>

Teach4

STEM Without Groups?
Old 08-25-2020, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Almost all of my STEM challenges involve groups. This, of course, is to work on skills related to working together toward a common goal, but also because I can't always afford the materials for every single child.

This year, we are really staying away from anything involving close contact.

Any ideas for STEM projects with low/no cost materials that can be done individually rather than in a group?

Teach4 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-25-2020, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Think about reengineering the ones that you already have. Can the groups be smaller and assign parts to each student? Thinking like when I do things on the computer it is nice to work in partners, so I make one a driver (uses the mouse and keyboard) and the navigator tells them what to do. Could you work something like that where one person has the materials but the other person tells them what to do with them?

Or maybe it can be broken into peices so each person has a part of the whole and then it goes together?

Paper is pretty inexpensive, especially if you recycle. You can build paper bridges to hold weight or span a distance. Make paper roller coasters. Can you make the longest piece of paper with no tape/glue only by tearing it? Origami type activities- fold a box or animal. Can y ou use origami to make something different? Something that folds up small but becomes something much bigger (I saw a video on things in space that they use this concept with).

Replace your STEM time with Scientist of the Week. One student practices and presents a science demonstration to the class.

Maybe something will catch your eye.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote