Help

Kindergarten

I'm in mourning today

>

Sbkangas5

I'm in mourning today
Old 08-27-2020, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

They took my tables and brought in desks. I hate it. This is not kindergarten. Not only that, I have no idea how I'm actually going to get them 6 ft apart and still have room for myself. Not to mention I won't be able to use my white board or my number corner (calendar area) because some kids just absolutely can't see them. I really want to go back in person, but to go back to this? And the teacher desk will be removed - it's my distance learning spot right now but I won't have room for it when we do come back.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

suzyteach

Boo!
Old 08-27-2020, 09:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I feel for you. I love teaching from the carpet! And tables are the way to go. If we get to go back into school this year, I'm sure I'll have desks as well. Blech. And no shared supplies. Having to negotiate supplies is a good social skill.
How many students do you have? That isn't many desks. I just got my class list, 17! That is lower than normal, but too many to socially distance if we get back to school.
suzyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-28-2020, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If they get rid of your desk, what will you use if you have to go back virtual because of covid cases? Oh- probably quarantined at home so you won't be at school anyway.

This whole situation stinks any way you look at it. I hate teaching technology virtually. It is so difficult not being ablt to see what the students see (I have some tricks with that, but it is limited). One thing that I have noticed that I do think is good is that the students have to learn to be clear in their descriptions of things. When they say "It won't work" I definitely don't know what "it" is. If they want help they have to find better ways to describe things!

One way.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 08-28-2020, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am mourning with you. I feel bad for our kindergarten students. It is going to be so different for our little ones. I just got my class list. I normally mail students individual letters welcoming them to school and telling about the fun exciting things they will do this year... I am struggling getting myself excited. They have 2 1/2 hours of language arts and math-no pe, no recess, no lunch with their friends.

I worked in my classroom Wednesday and Thursday. They had to remove our carpets. :-( The classroom seems so blah. Goodbye sand table!

We get to keep our tables. I don't understand the social distancing. It is suppposed to be 6 feet apart. We were told that all the tables should be the same direction-no horseshoes or anything like that. I have 2 rows of 2 tables that are about 6 feet apart. It is going to be hard for some to see the Smartboard and teaching easel. I don't get the six feet apart when they told us that 2 students sit on one long side and 1 student sits on the opposite side facing them if we need to have 3 students at a table. They will have a plexiglass trifold to separate each student at the table. The two students who sit next to each other are nnot six feet apart and can still touch each other. The plexiglass is helpful, but only if the students sit still and face fowards for the entire time. What are the chances of that happening?

We can sort of have centers. Each student must have their own materials. They can do the activities at their spot at the table. We can do small groups. The children come to my table. I have to wipe down the table and chairs. They have to wash their hands and bring their plexiglass trifolds to my table. When the group is finished, they have to wash their hands again. I have to wipe down the table and chairs before another group can come to the table.

Our building is closed today so I will just have Monday to finish my room. Teachers start on Tuesday. We have to have everything prepped for our virtual students by Wednesday. Parents are supposed to pick up their iPads and their materials on Thursday. School is closed on Friday. Since we can't do in person Back to School Night, our principal told us to create a slideshow or video and send it to her by Wednesday.

For my virtual students, I am prepping a "home learning binder." It will have a manipulative pouch, a supply pouch, 2 or 3 plastic sheet protectors with tracing sheets like first name, numbers, letters, handwriting strokes and a sheet with blank sets of guidelines, journals, several math books, several generic gameboards with sets of playing cards-letters, numbers, sight words (Students will learn how to play each game. Then I can tell them which game to play and which set of cards to use.) I will include resources like number grids, letter formation chart, ABC chart with our picture/word cues. I will make binders for the students I have in school so they are ready if we have to switch to everyone doing virtual learning.

So far, I have 10 students in person (every day for half day). They go home with a bagged lunch. Then they do virtual learning the rest of the afternoon.
I have 7 students who are fully virtual. We haven't been given details on how to do both at the same time. I don't like that my students have to take their iPads back and forth between school and home each day. I cen envision some cracked screens and some students forgetting them.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-28-2020, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I will mourn with all of you. K kids beginning school in such an uninviting place with non social set ups is truly a sad sight I'm sorry .

Last edited by anna; 08-28-2020 at 08:26 AM..
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

I do feel for you
Old 08-28-2020, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

and I love the pics of your classroom. Unfortunately it's the new norm. Let's hope it's only for the time being!
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-28-2020, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
How many students do you have?
I have 16. They kept it low in order to be able to actually fit in my room. Before this the solution was going to be that some of my kids would be in the adjoining room.

Now my issue is that I'm literally backed into a corner. Some kids can't see the white board at all, and some can't see the calendar wall at all, so I really won't be able to use either. I guess I'll be doing everything on a doc cam. So now I need to figure out what I actually need to be able to do that. I also have zero space for any bookshelves or anything. I'll be damned if my kids don't get to play, so I also need to figure out how to store boxes of play items (I have lots) and how to manage letting them choose or passing them out or however I end up doing it.

Shell

Old 08-29-2020, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I hope we don't go back in person. I had to take everything home and remove all of my bulletin boards. My room is just an empty shell.
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Unpopular Opinion
Old 08-30-2020, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I hope I don’t upset anyone.
I think we should keep in mind that rugs, beanbag chairs, sand tables...are just “stuff.” It’s 100% okay to be sad and to mourn the loss of normalcy...

But I hope you can keep in mind that YOU are truly what makes a classroom inviting. YOU are what is important here. YOU are what the kiddos need to be successful and feel comfortable and happy in class.

I’m not saying those other things aren’t important in their own right, but they are mostly trappings. And the community and relationships you are able to create with your students will really be the thing that gets everyone through.

I believe in you. I believe in all of us. I hate when people say “we can do hard things,” because (((why should we always have to)))? But this is one of those times where we are going to do the hard things and make school a good experience for our kids. Good luck this school year. <3
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-30-2020, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Miss ESL
I agree - it is us, not the stuff. But although my students will never know how I truly feel, the reality is that teaching online or teaching at desks with distancing and not sharing is not okay for them. Telling 5 year olds not to share, not to help, to stay back, is just not good on any level. For me it's not about the actual desks, it's about what they represent.