Help

Retired Teachers

First cell phone?

>

c6g

First cell phone?
Old 08-30-2020, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I think this will be a fun question. It seems as if cell phones never leave the hands of some people.
Many of us, though, have lived the majority of our lives without them. How did we survive?

When did you get your first cell phone? For me, it was 2001, and I was in my 40s. My wife and I had thought about getting them a few years earlier, but the plans were expensive and the minutes quite limited. By 2001, the costs were a bit more reasonable.

c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Flip phone
Old 08-30-2020, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was late to the game. It was month -to-month contract. I had it about 10 years (maybe), and last year updated to a base smartphone.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

First cell phone
Old 08-30-2020, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don’t remember the year - 1998? 1999?

Anyway, we were building our summer cabin - off the grid, utilizing solar power and propane.

Husband brought home a “bag phone.” The unit was about the size of a shoe box, had a regular-sized hand set corded to the main unit, an antenna, and weighed about 10 pounds! (Well, at least 5!)

Our cabin was on the fringe of cell service at the time. In order to make a call, I had to drag a kitchen chair out
to the far edge front deck, stand on it, dial, and then hold the main unit w/ antenna as high as I possibly could in order to get reception. For those of you of a certain generation, think “Green Acres!”

It worked great while traveling in the car, though. But so huge compared to the phones now.

Last edited by Beach Glass; 08-31-2020 at 05:22 AM..
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 08-30-2020, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
Husband brought home a ďbag phone.Ē The unit was about the size of a shoe box, had a regular-sized hand set corded to the main unit, an antenna, and weighed about 10 pounds! (Well, at least 5!)
Beach Glass I think we had the same one! It was 1992. I remember because we had a car accident and had to go to the hospital so one of the fire fighters took our bag phone to the fire station for safe keeping. We thought the bag phone was so cool at the time.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

cell phone
Old 08-30-2020, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We got our first cell phones about 15 years ago. We were babysitting DGS a lot and they did not have a land line. We would have been okay running to the neighbors to call 911, but not to order pizza.
We are still on their family plan.

I still remember having dimes in my 'Penny Loafers' so I'd have money for the phone.

mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

cell
Old 08-30-2020, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Learn something new every day! I have never heard of a bag phone. I remember the style but never heard the name.

My first was probably 10-12 years ago, We just kept it in the car for emergencies. I never even carried it around.
Wow, have times changed. I couldn't imagine not having it on my person where ever I go.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-30-2020, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I believe my first cell was in 2003/2004, I bought it when I first started teaching. It was a month to month plan. Sometime in the early 90s my friend's mom bought her a bag phone for Christmas. I remember when we would go to lunch & she drove she would put the bag in her trunk. Times were easier then.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 08-30-2020, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I also had one of those bag phones. Boy, we have come a long way!
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 08-30-2020, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

In the late 90s I had a phone. I donít know what kind it was but it had to be connected to something in the car.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

NancyLee

Old 08-31-2020, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Mine too Sonoma. In fact I called it my "car phone".

NancyLee is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Sonoma and NancyLee
Old 08-31-2020, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

That may have been the bag phone concept. Mine was used primarily in the car. But it could be packed into its bag to take with you. It was quite large.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Fun question
Old 08-31-2020, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Our first cell phone was in 2003/04. We had it for emergencies.

In the 90s, a car dealership was advertising a raffle for a car phone. If you test drove one of their automobiles during the month you had a chance to win the car phone. We were so desperate to win that we each drove a different vehicle to increase our chance of winning. At the end of the month hundreds of people were at the dealership to see who won. The lady that won was disappointed to learn that it was a phone in the shape of a car!
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 08-31-2020, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm not sure when we got our first cell phones. I want to say early in the 2000's. It was a Sprint flip phone.

When we moved from California to Texas in 1995, there were no cell phones. My DH and I were each driving a vehicle to Texas. I had 2 dogs and 2 birds in a cage in my car. He had a large dog and a larger bird in a cage in his truck. We had walkie-talkies to communicate with each other.

I can't imagine not having a cell phone now. So handy for so many reasons and I see having one as a safety as well.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-31-2020, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Iíve been trying to remember the dateómaybe 10-12 years ago? DH and I didnít want to buy into instant availability (as weíd resisted answering machines many years before). Finally, when DD started working, she insisted on carrying us on her Verizon account and gave me her old flip phone (when she got her 1st iPhone). When she replaced that one, she gave it to me and DH used the flip phone. I think that was an iPhone3, then an iPhone5 (another hand-me-down) which I used for many years, still with DD carrying us. Eventually her carrier stopped supplying phones and ours were dying, so I bought 3 new iPhone X models: 1 for DD, 1 for her ex-husband who I adored, and 1 for me. Seemed like a good investment since Iím still on her accountóand I LOVE this phone.

I did just spend a whopping $10 for a regular phone since itís part of my cable bundle. DD hooked it up yesterday (itís hidden inside the console), so just in case something happens to my iPhone and I need help....
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

cvt

first cell phone
Old 08-31-2020, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I got mine through my district in 1998. They had a special plan with whatever provider they had at the time. We were required to have a cell phone if we were going on field trips. I got the cheapest Nokia and paid $10 a month for limited minutes and very limited features. I did not use it much at all.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 09-01-2020, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Great responses, everyone. The technology has certainly come a long way in the last 25 years. We never had the bag phone, but I remember my in-laws having one.

I don't remember the exact model of my first phone, but it might have been the Nokia 5110, first released in 1998.
https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/n...ia-phones-ever

I do remember playin Snake on it.

c6g

Old 09-01-2020, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

More old cell phone memories . . .

A couple years after we got our first phones, our oldest went off to college and we got him a phone. I was in a parent orientation session, and the presenter said something like this. "It's all right if you send your son or daughter with a cell phone, but we don't recommend it. There are good wall-mounted phones in every dorm room, and your kids won't need anything else.
We'd also like to point out that cellular service isn't very good in this area."
There was a grain of truth in that last statement, but I had no difficulty making and receiving calls later that day.

The university was fighting a losing battle, and they knew it. It's probably quite rare these days to see to see a functioning wall-mounted phone in a dorm room
anywhere.

The second memory: It was 2005 or 2006, we had new phones, and our kids were excited to show us something new they discovered, texting. We weren't very excited because there was an extra charge for this service. Eventually, though, we got a plan that included unlimited texting.

Peaches Pears

Old 09-01-2020, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

We got our first cell phone in 1990. In order to purchase we had to make an appointment in advance with a communications company. I think it took a couple weeks to receive the phone. Very few people had cell phones --- we were (are) early adapters.
Our first phone was huge. It looked like this phone --- might even be the same model.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Peaches Pears is online now   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

yes texting . . .a true novelty
Old 09-01-2020, 08:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

After being evacuated for 3 weeks due to the Old Fire in 2003 , my then fiancee purchased two cell phones for my daughter and myself for "emergency " purposes. My daughter also discovered something called texting. When my fiancee got the first bill it was 10 pages long. The entire text conversations were printed on paper to avoid disputes for how many words per min you typed. After 3-4 months he cancelled all the plans. Apparently the last bill was 25 pages long! 😇
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Cell phone...
Old 09-02-2020, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I had seen an ad in the AAA magazine (American Auto Club) and decided to purchase. It was the size of a brick, and weighed about as much, too.

I never had a flip phone, but had a series of smaller phones than my original. I upgraded to a smart phone when I visited my disabled mother. She had no computer or internet, and I felt disconnected from the world except when I was at Barnes and Noble to check my emails on my laptop. I was grateful for the smart phone when we had Hurricane Sandy and it was the only way I could find out what was going on.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

My first cell phone...
Old 09-02-2020, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

One year we got a gaggle of new teachers right out of college. Summer came and one of them had a job at the shore. Because she was completely on her own and had no family to support her I was freaked out at her diving back and forth by herself with no cash on her. (People did not have debit cards.) So, I gave her an envelope of cash to keep with her "just in case."because it is not safe for you to drive without some cash in case of an emergency!"
A few years pass. My DD who lives in a different state is getting married and on weekends I am driving back and forth by myself. The same young teacher freaks out and demands that I take her old cell phone just in case "because it is not safe for you to drive without a cell phone in case of an emergency!"

*she gave me back the cash, I never gave her back her old cell phone.
chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote