Help

BusyBoard

If you are teaching remotely

>

Sbkangas5

If you are teaching remotely
Old 09-23-2020, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Are you allowed to teach from anywhere? We teach from our classrooms, but just got the okay to teach from elsewhere as long as we let them know. Hooray!! My best friend is in San Diego and now I can go spend a few long weekends with her without taking time off. Right now this is the one and only benefit to this remote teaching nightmare.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Nope
Old 09-23-2020, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We must teach from our classrooms. No excuses.

Our homes are too noisy and distracting according to the school board.

Funny thing, most of us spend hours after school hours and on the weekend planning and prepping for lessons. We must work best distracted.
arsabl is online now   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 09-23-2020, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach in a parochial school. We have to teach from school. We have been 100% remote since the first day, but we are phasing students in now face to face. K-2 started today, then it will be 3-5 and next week 6-8 (me). The archdiocese only allows teachers who actually have COVID to stay home and teach if they are well enough, otherwise we must be on campus. I think a couple of the high schools (since they are so big) allowed teachers a choice, but not my school.
I have an 18 year old with severe autism who needs full-time supervision. I got special permission to work from home 2 days a week so DH and I can split the responsibilities and he can actually go to his office a bit. Once the students return, that's over. DS starts back in his special post-secondary program in a few weeks when our public schools return to campus.
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 09-23-2020, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We are teaching from home. They can make exceptions if teachers have a specific need/reason for teaching from school, but they want to limit in person interactions.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-23-2020, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have many teachers who are teaching remotely due to the number of students who signed up for the e-learning program. They were told they weren't allowed to teach from their classrooms because they don't want extra adults in the buildings.

My teammate was involuntarily placed into e-learning and she was pretty upset about that. However, since then she's also figured out that means she can work from anywhere, and now she's enjoying that piece. She went camping for like a week with a hotspot and also visited family.

One of our other elementary schools is on a 2 week quarantine right now because they had cases. No teachers in buildings because most of them are supposed to be quarantining. At least based on the metric they're using right now, things would have to be awful with the virus before they just close schools due to that/not for quarantines due to specific cases. So I imagine if we were to ever get to that point where they just close schools indefinitely, there would be a stay at home order and we again wouldn't be allowed to go into buildings.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 09-23-2020, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We have to work from our classrooms unless there are special circumstances. Iím teaching from my momís house because she requires 24/7 care.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Readingal

Old 09-23-2020, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We choose where we want to work. I like teaching from my classroom because itís quiet, all my stuff is there, and it keeps me out of the kitchen. (So I cant snack all day long )
Readingal is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Old 09-24-2020, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We are required to be at school. It's weird because we stay isolated in our classrooms and rarely see anyone else.

We're phasing in kids. On Monday, everyone will be F2F in an AM/PM hybrid situation. The plan is to be whole class F2F in November. It will be impossible to have 30 students socially distanced in a classroom.

If we get sick, we teach remotely if we can, and a sub is in the classroom. (Not sure how that's going to work.)
Singvogel is online now   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 09-24-2020, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

At first we were required to teach from school unless we had health or childcare issues. My district received so many requests to stay home they gave us a choice. I am working from home. Some teachers are going to their classrooms because it is less of a distraction. It’s a personal choice. I feel every teacher should have a choice. We are fully remote until November.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Old 09-24-2020, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My district is fully virtual and the board specifically said that teachers are allowed to work from home. My admin also encouraged us to work in the location that works best for us. Personally, I go into school usually, but there's been days where I've worked at home instead. We don't need to let them know where we're working, but they do hop on our virtual classes and pages frequently just to make sure everything is running as smoothly as it can.

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 09-24-2020, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We can teach from home if we want, but it would be extremely frowned upon if we were not using the down time to prep and hold office hours. We are still under contract and expected to put in our "hours". We were given a warning from our union that we should not be using that time for other things during our contracted time and it WOULD be considered "theft of services" .

I usually go in and teach from my classroom. I completed my set up today and the students were so happy! They said they felt like there were back in school and it made them feel better!

I taught from home last Friday and I felt like I was too distracted. I like the separation from home/school.

Last edited by choppie70; 09-25-2020 at 01:23 AM..
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

nyteacher29

School
Old 09-24-2020, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Our union told us we have to be the ears and eyes to see if the building isnít being cleaned or supplies arenít there
nyteacher29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 09-24-2020, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We had to give families an option of full face to face or online synchronized learning.

I am one of the teachers on my grade level teaching from home. We were able to give a preference of teaching from home or at school and everybody their choice. Iím at home.

I wouldnít feel comfortable taking vacations while teaching from home (though I would love to) since so many of our teachers are face to face and it would involve them use some of our limited amount of personal days. It just doesnít seem fair... and with the amount of time Iím online each day I wouldnít really have a restful vacation either.
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 09-24-2020, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am a teaching assistant and my district is fully remote. I am teaching from home. I am in class with students five hours a day with an hour break in the middle. I like teaching from home because I have a huge desktop computer that makes it so much easier to see my studentís work when he shares his screen, and the teacherís lectures.

I usually have my school laptop and my IPad available as well for different activities.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 09-24-2020, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We're 100% virtual, and our union negotiated the ability to work from home or school - the district can't require us to be in the building, but they also have to make them accessible to those who want to work there.

At first I thought I would be going in every day, and for the first two weeks I did to help train my paras on programs and how we would run our classroom. (Paras were not required to participate in instruction last spring - don't get me started.) But when we had the heavy smoke in our city for a solid week all of our buildings were closed. I set up a new work area at home that's meeting most of my needs, a comfortable chair that makes me happy, and I haven't been back to the building since.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote