Help

ARCHIVE

Timelines?

>

bookworm86

Timelines?
Old 11-25-2007, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This week I'll be doing a mini-unit on timelines in social studies. I'm going to start with a quick review of the Pilgrim's journey and have the children put events from that time in order (didn't get to it last week). The children will also do a timeline project that will be do on Monday.

My question is what can I do the rest of the week to go over timelines? I have been searching through resources and scouring the web, but I just can't find anything that stands out for first grade. Any ideas from your highly creative minds would be appreciated!

bookworm86 is offline   Reply With Quote

jennyfa

Class Time Line
Old 11-25-2007, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Some teachers in my school do a class timeline. Using the number line and the days of school, they write events that happened. For example, on Day 30, We learned about nouns. It's really very cool in the classroom. You can go back through your plans to come up with some ideas and ask your students for suggestions.
jennyfa is offline   Reply With Quote

Ilvtching

Timelines
Old 11-25-2007, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We talk about the past, present and future...(and how the future doesn't go on a timeline). I have one I made in grad school and I show it to them (personal) they get a kick out of seeing me when I was a little kid! Then I have them make their own. They have to have 5 events from their life so far. Starting with birth and ending with entering first grade...they love it! I usually give them one to two weeks to get it in. Then we do a timeline museum..I put all the time lines on the kids' desks and they walk around and look at them. THE LOVE IT!

I have a letter I send home to explain it to parents...I will try to find it on my computer at work and attach it for you!

Amy
Ilvtching is offline   Reply With Quote

bookworm86

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2007, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That's a great idea! We are doing a similar project, but I never thought about having a timeline museum...I love it! I'd love to take a peek at your letter if you can find it also. Thanks!
bookworm86 is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

schoolwide timeline
Old 11-25-2007, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

One of the most popular yearly events at the college I graduated from was the yearly "timeline" in the education department. I think people came from all over the school to the education building to read and add to it... it was so much fun! Not to mention some of the sarcastic comments that got added (1802 - Professor Smith joined the staff.. that sort of thing.. lol). It was HUGE, it wrapped around the entire fourth floor (skipping doorways just to start up again on the other side). It had "pre-1950" at the beginning(for those of us who were old and could go back that far!) and then at the end 1990 and beyond (as I graduated in '89). So many putting wedding dates, when babies were due, etc.

The first year I taught I decided to do one at my school with my sixth graders - so we did the same thing "before 19xx" and "after 19xx" and invited everyone to start writing - students, parents, teachers, visitors... We also did research and found "important events." We started fairly early like before 1970... twenty years prior... so parents and teachers had space to write things... was fun to see what was going on in OUR lives and what was going on in the WORLD at the same time. The kids loved it - they'd read it anytime we were in the hall - great way to keep them learning while you wait for your turn in the restroom line..

We did it for several years, and then I started teaching only math/science and it died out... but it was a fun activity when we did it!

yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote
19cam57

19cam57

timelines
Old 11-25-2007, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I like to give students large index cards (one for each year that they have been alive). They are to list one major event for each year on a card and then draw a picture. I send this home as a homework project. They return them to school (taped together) and then share their life time line. Have fun

Love2Learn2

Timeline Home Project
Old 11-28-2007, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I also do a timeline project that goes home with the children where they make a timeline of six events in their life. I've attached the letter and rubric I use that goes home to the parents. I hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Timeline Project.doc (32.0 KB, 1436 views)
Love2Learn2 is offline   Reply With Quote