Help

ARCHIVE

Any good lessons for fact vs. opinion?

>

FLteacherAMM

Any good lessons for fact vs. opinion?
Old 11-25-2007, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm having my observation this week and our reading skill is fact or opinion. Normally on the fourth day of reading our story, my kids do a reading response. I'm not sure if that's observation worthy, so I'm looking for any ideas on lessons using fact and opinion. Thanks!!

FLteacherAMM is offline   Reply With Quote

ismile

Fact and Opinion signs
Old 11-25-2007, 10:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Depending on how much you have already taught fact and opinion, for review I use individual F and O signs. Using index cards, I have written fact on one side (in one color) and opinion on the other side (using a different color) then stapled to a popsicle stick. We read a descriptive piece and stop at the end of each sentence. Students hold up their sticks with the side they think the statement represents. This is a quick review for me to see who gets it and who doesn't, plus they like holding up the signs. You could also have students write one of each kind of statements, put them all in a bag, and draw from the bag, allowing the class to practice on their own statements with the signs.
ismile is offline   Reply With Quote
starry1

starry1

Old 11-26-2007, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like the idea the poster above gave you. After they do the reading in the book with fact/opinions and the colored sticks, You can also maybe give them a worksheet (with a fact/opinion story on it) and have the students in partners underline the facts in one color and the opinions in a second color. I would model the first couple with the students whole class and have them copy Facts=red Opinions=green(whatever colors you choose) on the paper so they know, then have them work together to underline the story with the crayons. This has always helped my class really grasp and get the fact/opinions in reading. I also make a chart with the definition of a fact on one side and opinion on the other on the white board when I begin my lesson.

Kat's Mom

Fact/opinion sort
Old 11-27-2007, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Write facts/opinions on sentence strips, based on the story you read. Give one sentence strip to ea. child. Designate an area in the room for
"fact people" to stand and "opinion people" to stand. Then have students read their statements aloud and have class decide whether student is in correct place or not. Then, have them write a fact and opinion of their own on the back of the sentence strip maybe about Christmas or winter. Let volunteers read one of their statements aloud and have the class guess if it's fact or opinion.
Kat's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote