Help

Classroom Management

daily encouragement/shoutouts

>

newer

daily encouragement/shoutouts
Old 10-24-2020, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have realized after two months that I have not set the mood properly in my room to a degree. Meaning, I have not modeled consistent encouragement, simple verbal words that I should use everyday for my class no matter how slow and lazy they can get sometimes. I still need to model encouragement/praise, something for them to hear every day. Do you have any phrases or things you say everyday to your class throughout the day to remind them of who they are and that they are worthwhile, even though at times their behavior says differently? I just want to speak truth and encouragement into their lives each day in my fifth grade classroom. I actually may apologize to them on Monday for not modeling that well. I do want to be more positive with them, but with the first quarter grades just coming out, it is kind of hard, but, no excuse. I need to stay positive.

newer is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

Google Growth Mindset
Old 10-25-2020, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Growth Mindset is a relatively new term (last several years) that repackages old "best practices" from the beginning of time.

But, being the newest way to say all this, there are lots of really cool printables and pdfs out there for this very thing. I have some of the phrases printed out in color and posted around my room. I have some others that I use to counter their negative self-talk.

There are whole websites from free to paid that promote this.

My favorite printable for countering negative self talk:
https://www.bostonpublicschools.org/...nclassroom.png

There are tons more for every age and ability level.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 10-25-2020, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Growth mindset is fantastic! As pp said, lots of free resources online. I keep a handout by my desk to refer to. The biggest change Iíve made in recent years is to praise effort. I also choose a couple kids each day to focus on praise. It helps me give praise to everyone.

I donít think you need to apologize. If you start doing it, they will notice. Itís fun and will help make your relationships stronger.

KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

newer

next step
Old 10-25-2020, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

So, do I just need to type in 'growth mindset' and start finding some pages to print and post up in my room? Any specific spots I should go to?

KetchupChips

Old 11-03-2020, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi Newer,

I didn't know you had answered and asked a question. Sorry it's taken me so long to answer. Years ago i got started by reading the book written by Carol Dweck. Her updated book is Mindset: The New Psychology of Success. There is a ton of resources now. You do need to teach it to your class. And then refer to it often.

Google it - and teachers pay teachers have had free stuff. Basically, growth mindset = brain plasticity. Your brain can "grow" with the right attitude. However, a fixed mindset doesn't support brain growth. What I changed was recognizing, encouraging, and praising effort. And encouraging a different set of thoughts...such as I can't do it yet. It changed me as a teacher and a parent. Dig into it because I'm not doing it justice. It's completely worth it. I also include this in my parent night presentations so parents can use the same language at home. Parents really liked it.

PM me if you want to discuss this further. Good luck!!

newer

Elementary Teacher
Old 11-04-2020, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the info. Yes, I have posted some TPT growth mindset posters in the front of my room. I ask my students to pick a thought and stick with it and then I tell them that they are capable, they are good, they are important, and that they can. I want to do this 5-6 times a day but haven't been reaching that number. I have a lot of slow, unmotivated kids so this is something new for me as I really didn't have to deal with this behavior in private school. My instructional coach says I need to get on them a bit more so I need to start changing that. But I also want to be a bit sensitive and be able to respond correctly to their needs instead of just always being stern with them.

KetchupChips

Old 11-04-2020, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When you have some time, ha ha, Iíd encourage you to read the research behind this. It makes a difference to understand it beyond surface level. Thereís a lot of childrenís books that you can read to illustrate traits of the growth mindset. It needs to be cultivated and it will grow and grow in your classroom. Itís like youíre a cheerleader and on their side. Youíre cheering their effort and always encourage learning from mistakes. Mistakes are great! I was rarely stern. Struggling kids I sent home some extra stuff for parents to help with. However, I did all this during in person teaching. Zooming is challenging.

Hereís a couple resources I use. Theyíre free from Teachers Pay Teachers.

Growth Mindset poster by Schoolhouse Diva - kept close by to refer to; also sent a copy home to parents at Back to School Night

Growth Mindset Posters by Stephani Ann - put up as bulletin board all year

Keep at it! You can do it!

GoodEnough85

Hello again!
Old 11-05-2020, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It is not just what you say but the thought behind it--it's about changing your thinking as well as theirs.

For the students that are hard to "love," you may have to watch really, really closely to "catch" something to positive to praise, but you don't have to wait. Growth mindset is also about replacement behavior and replacement thoughts. Take a negative thought or attitude and substitute a more positive thought or attitude.

It's about hearing or thinking, "this sucks and I can't do it..." and changing that thought to "this is challenging for me but I can learn it." That is true for students and teachers alike.

In your case, instead of thinking, "wow, I've let my kids down a lot," think "Wow, what a great concept I can share with my students."
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote