Help

Kindergarten

Advice for Behavior

>

kinderlady7

Advice for Behavior
Old 11-02-2020, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I have a little lady in my class who is struggling behaviorally. The issue is that it isn't anything too serious. I spoke to the mom at the beginning of the year about her attention issues and mom said that she is aware of the attention issues and all she suggests I do is work with her one-on-one... very practical, I know.

Anyways, I am trying to get her behavior under control. Like I mentioned, nothing too serious but just enough to really be a distraction. For example, during transitions, she walks as slowly as possible. Students will be at their desk, having written their name on their paper and she will still be walking to her desk. She is constantly turned around backwards on the carpet and often waving her hands around. Often times, she will walk to another students spot or say she "forgot" where her spot is.

She thrives on positive attention, but after so many reminders, she shuts down. I try so hard to find ANY positive thing I can compliment and comment on, but it's getting harder. I want to help her improve her behavior. I have tried giving her a daily goal to work on ( walking quickly, following directions, going straight to her spot) but after an hour or two she gives up. We use a behavior clip chart throughout our grade, and any time she has to move her clip down, she becomes upset and shuts down as well, repeating over and over "I don't want to be on...". I know that there is always a function for a behavior but I cannot figure it out for the life of me. She doesn't seem to require the attention, although I know she enjoys it. It is not always at the time of an activity she wants to avoid.

I seriously feel for her, but I know for a fact that she can behave and that she is really not making the best choices. Any advice for helping her (and me)? Thanks in advance!!!

kinderlady7 is offline   Reply With Quote

suzyteach

Old 11-02-2020, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It sounds like she is trying, but it may be too much for her to hold it together all day. I would check in with her 1/2 or 1/3 of the way through the day, and if she's done well with her goal, then reward her in some small way that is acceptable to you. Waiting for the reward til the end of the day is too much for her. If you check in halfway through the day, then do it again at the end of the day. If you do it 1/3 of the way through, then check in (and potentially reward) 2 more times. Good luck!
suzyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 11-03-2020, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Get rid of the clip chart!

Those who NEED behavior modification aren't helped by it and the kids who DON'T need it aren't either!

I hate how public they are. Humiliation is abusive.
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

kinderlady7

Old 11-03-2020, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I totally understand that. Personally, I don't like the clip chart very much either. Do you have another method of communicating daily behavior with parents? My school likes for kindergarten to communicate behavior with parents daily. I would appreciate a suggestion!
kinderlady7 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Behavior kid
Old 11-03-2020, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sounds like ADHD. Struggling to attend, restless, impulse control issues from the sounds of it. I have two who are just like what you describe. Well-meaning lovely kids who are a constant distraction.

It sounds like clip chart isn't working for her or for you. I never find them very effective to be honest. I'd ditch it. Stick with constant positives and firm but gentle reminders, even if you have to repeat yourself 26 times. Some other things I do are:

*Movement breaks every 20-30 minutes. Breathe and stretch, marching, crawling, hanging off our monkey bars, dance/yoga break etc. The whole class benefits.

*Quiet tent. I have a weighted blanket and gel timers in there. Gives the rest of the class a break too.

*Sequin pillow to quietly fidget with when listening on the carpet. It helps!

*Logical consequences. She can't paint until she has finished _______, for example.

*Standing desk and/or being allowed to stand up when completing work.

Plus, I've been reminding myself frequently to relax and smile and have fun with these kids. These kids are used to adults being cranky at them. Enjoying and affirming them can be hard work, but the payoff is huge.

ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 11-03-2020, 09:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

A few things stick out to me.

If she's turned around on the carpet, have her sit in back and then let it go. Then at least she's not bothering anyone else. Or give her the option to sit on a chair or stool behind the carpet. And can I say I'm jealous that you even get to have them sit on the carpet?!

I agree with the clip chart. If it causes her to shut down it's doing more harm than good.

The being slow - maybe give some class incentives for everyone being ready on time. I don't know how you do transitions, but I have a song and everyone needs to be sitting and ready when the song is over. At the beginning of the year (or any time it's needed) there is an incentive for them all to do it. Peer pressure can be fabulous!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Old 11-04-2020, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

From what I'm reading, its seems like her behavior is attention seeking. She's doing things that you would typically correct but that aren't harmful to her classmates or destructive. The other red flag is that mom says work with her one-on-one. I have a suspicion that mom pays A LOT of attention to her at home, and the girl might not be used to sharing attention with a whole class. Thus acting out so she can get the same amount of attention at school as she does at home.

I agree with others. Ditch the clip chart, it's really demotivating for most students. I'd continue to praise other student heavily and praise her too when possible. Make a HUGE deal out of everyone else doing what they're supposed to do.

I would also consider a social lesson about sharing attention. I'm not sure if there's a good book out there (maybe one about siblings?) but you could talk about how there's lots of friends at school to share with and that you always notice everything, even if you don't say it out loud. And that at school we have "expectations" and we don't always get praised for following those expectations but it's the right things to do.

A different idea would be to flip the game and make a game out of praising going above and beyond. That way she can channel her energy into positive actions that get praise, instead of negative attentions to get attention.

Your whole class could make a "kindness or amazing list" or something similar. Every time someone does something on it, they get a lot of praise and positive support. I do this around valentines day and we make hearts. When someone notices someone doing something amazing, kind, or above expectations we write their name on a heart and explain what they did and tape it to our door so everyone else can see what they did. Then when we got 100 hearts, we had a big party.

Maybe the things on your 'amazing list' can be things she's working on, like being the first one to sit down and be ready to work, or being a great leader on the carpet.
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 11-06-2020, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've had many students like this and my son was like this in kindergarten.There's a possibility she may have ADHD subtype:ADD/no hyperactivity.There may be developing a processing disorder. All of this needs to be considered. I would not mention this to parents yet however I would definitely read about classroom interventions for these learning disabilities.

I never ditched a clip chart due to students who presented a non reactive behaviors to the system however I did play up the positive reinforcement of the chart(this depends on your design,implementation and consistent use of the chart.) I used group positive incentives however I never had a group lose out due to the behaviors of a student who seemed to be unable to follow normal classroom routines. I never assumed a learning disability until after many weeks of the usual classroom routines not working for the student.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote