Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

how long do you spend on each vowel sound

>

dusty

how long do you spend on each vowel sound
Old 11-09-2020, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am new to the public schools. When I taught first grade at a private school we would spend 1 whole week on each vowel sound, ex;1 whole week just on short "a", the next week focused only on short "i". Now that I am in the public schools the pace seems to move much faster, such as spending learning all the long vowel teams mixed together in a 1 - 2 week time frame, 1 day only on long "a" vowel teams (ai, ay), and then the next day on long "e" vowel teams (ee, ea). Is this typical pacing for phonics lessons? Is it because I am now teaching 2nd grade and 2nd moves at a quicker pace than first grade?
I just feel so rushed that I am concerned they are not really learning the different vowel teams/sounds. I noticed the same thing with blends. When I taught first grade at the private school we would spend one whole week just on "s" blends, and then the next week on "r" blends but now in 2nd grade at a public school all the different blends were mixed together.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

dusty is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 11-10-2020, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think it's a 2nd grade review thing. I taught first grade for years and just like you, we spent a week on each vowel, a week on each set of vowel teams (like ai/ay), a week on s-blends, etc. In second grade, they reviewed all that at a quicker pace during the fall. After the holidays they started on more advanced phonics concepts.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Old 11-18-2020, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

A little late, but that sounds completely normal. Typically vowels don't get a ton of time because students practice them constantly when they read. I teach kindergarten, but I spend 2 days on each letter sound, vowels included. Then we just continuously practice the sounds we've learned, adding in each new one. So if your students learn ai and ay on day 1, they would practice reading word like fail and clay. Then on day two they learn ee and ea and then they practice words fail, clay, see, and peal. And so on and so on. Just make sure you continuously review the vowel patterns they've already learned.

Also, note that many of your student shave likely already learned those vowel patterns in kindergarten. I teach kindergarten and I already have 2-3 students who are getting the hang of vowel patterns. It's just not always taught explicitly, but most kids understand it when reading.
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote