Social Studies games - ProTeacher Community

lg330

Social Studies games
Old 03-18-2006, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any good games to play for social studies? Games that can be generalized across any social studies content are preferred, but any game would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by lg330; 03-18-2006 at 09:50 PM..

Mrs. G

team games
Old 03-19-2006, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have several games that I use to review a lesson or chapter.

1. I play something called "globe ball." I use an inflatable globe. I ask a question and throw the globe ball to a student. If they answer it correctly they can decide who to throw the ball to next. If they answer incorrectly they have to throw it back to me and I decide who gets the ball next. I always remind them to throw the ball to someone who hasn't had a chance to answer yet. They love this and don't even realize I am just asking questions and having them answer.

2. SWAT- I use a four by four grid that I print on a transparency. I fill in the spaces with name or terms from the lesson or chapter. I place it on the overhead and shine it on my white board. I have two teams. One person from each team is given a fly swatter and stand up at the board. I ask a question and the first team to swat the correct answer wins a point and passed the swatter to the next person on the team.

3. Team tic-tac-toe- I have two teams I ask a question to the first person on the x team first. If he get it right he puts a x on the game board that I have on the board. Then I ask a question to the first person on the o team. If she answers it right she put an o on the board. The first team to get a tic-tac-toe gets a point.

These are just a few that we play. The kids love them.

Nik

Social Studies Games
Old 03-19-2006, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am in the process of making a new game right now. I have used the Jeopardy PowerPoint template in the past for review, but I found a link to a Who Wants To Be A Millionaire game today. Google for Powerpoint Review Games and you can find templates for Jeopardy, 20 questions, Who Wants to be..., and even Weakest Link. The kids love them!

Wanda

SS Games
Old 03-28-2006, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Where in the world is Carmen Sandiago (sp?)
Where in History is Carmen Sandiago

I use to see these board games, I don't know if they are still around.
alic

alic

Tic- tac- toe
Old 03-30-2006, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I developed a large tic-tac toe game board and huge pieces. I have my students answer questions in teams. Playing the game of tic- tac -toe .
They love it and guess what it is real simple.

CMJ

CMJ

Old 04-19-2006, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have seen this game played in a third grade classroom. We also played this in my college S.S. for Elem. Ed. class this year. The name of the game is "Land & Water". Put the students in groups of three, each group will have one blow-up globe, and a score keeper. Two students will stand a short distance apart and toss the globe back and forth to each other. Each time a group member catches the globe their right pointer finger lands and they shout out Land or Water. The score keeper keeps tally marks. The teacher times the students for about five minutes then they count how many times they landed on Land/Water. Have the studnets create a graph showing there results. This was a blast and the students not only learned some geography skills but also math skills as well.
For older grade levels ask the students questions like "what ocean did you land in?" "what hemisphere are you pointing to?"