Help

Special Education

Question about read aloud accommodation

>

tyrex

Question about read aloud accommodation
Old 12-28-2020, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a high school gen ed teacher. If a student has a read aloud words requested accommodation for tests, do I need to explicitly tell them before each test that I will read aloud if they request it? Due to small class sizes with hybrid scheduling, students with that accommodation now stay in the room with me when they test instead of testing in a spec ed room.

tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

I would
Old 12-28-2020, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Maybe just a quick comment, "let me know if you need me to read it to you".
Then document you have done so.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-28-2020, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Does the accommodation say "as requested" or "if requested" next to it? If it does, I think you are covered, but it's still a good idea to remind students when passing the test out or whenever it makes sense to do so. If the accommodation doesn't say "as requested" or something similar, then the entire assessment needs to be read aloud, not just parts the student asks for. That's what it means here anyway. If you're unsure it might be best to ask your sped teacher.

At my school, many teachers just record themselves reading the test and give students with the accommodation access to the recording. This allows them to hear the questions at their own pace without disturbing other students in the class. I have so many students in different classrooms that if I were to read tests aloud every time one of them was taking a test, that's literally all I'd ever do. So in my building, classroom teachers have always been in charge of accommodations. This is also helpful because it mimics district level and state level testing- it's all digital now so students press a button to hear the question read aloud on the computer if they have that accommodation.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 12-29-2020, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for the responses. The accommodation is "read aloud words by student request."

I like the idea of pre-recording it. Haley, do you know what platform/app the teachers use?
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Accommodation
Old 12-29-2020, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You could also cover this accommodation by just reading out the assessment (provided they arenít being assessed on reading skills). Itís an option so the student doesnít stand out from their peers. There may also be others in the room without an IEP that could use that accommodation. Iím a co-teacher for high school and sometimes I will just say, ďIím going to be over here to read this to anyone that wants me to read to them.Ē The kids that need it usually come to me.

teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-02-2021, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've heard of teachers using imovie, quicktime, or screencastify. They share the recording with students via google classroom.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote