Help

ARCHIVE

Everyday Counts Calendar Math

>

paco61

Everyday Counts Calendar Math
Old 11-29-2007, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school bought the Everyday Counts Calendar Math program. We have had no training with the program. I have read the teacher's manual and we are struggling to get started. I know it is rather late in the year to get started, but I think better late than never. I really don't know how to set it up. If anyone uses this program, is there anyway you could send a picture of your setup in your classroom. If someone has used it for ages, does anyone have some questions that you ask during the month. What do you do with all the plastic covering folders? Do you think it has helped? I was just hoping somone out there could help. Thank you tons!!

paco61 is offline   Reply With Quote

misswalton

Old 12-01-2007, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hello! Ok, so I'm just a student teacher but I have had to learn this program and incorporate it into my everday schedule. Here's how we have it set up. We have a whole bulletin board dedicated to calendar math. On this bulletin board is the calendar for the month in the center, a 'bank', a 100's chart, a clock, place value flip chart, a problem of the day center, and place value straws.

Here goes:

The calendar is pretty self explanatory. Everyday we talk about the date. I have them say "Today is, Tuesday, December __, 2007. Then we put up the piece on the calendar for today and as we go on through the weeks we talk about the pattern that the pieces make. The month of November was a diagonal pattern so we discussed that randomly thoughout the month. Also with the calendar I ask questions like if today is Tuesday, December __, then what is the Day and Date in two weeks, or two weeks ago. We discuss the months of the year, days of the week, and even incorporate abbreviations into it. There's a lot you can do with the calendar.

For the 100's chart we have a pattern going, all odd numbers have an x through them and the even numbers have a O around them. This gets us talking about odd and even, patterns, skip counting, addition and subtraction. Also, for every 5 days we take a red marker and put a red square around it. We do this everyday.

For the clock, we obviously discuss time. The hour is the month of the year, and the minutes are the day - so everyday we add on a minute to the clock. This gets us talking about telling time and ask higher level thinking questions using the clock.

For the bank, we have see through pockets labeled 'nickles' 'pennies' 'quarters' and 'dimes'. The amount of money in our bank corresponds with the number of days we've been in school - so I think on Friday we had like .72 cents in the bank. We add a penny everday - but we want to always have the fewest amount of coins in the bank. This gets the students understanding how 5 pennies = one nickel, etc. And we also write up the amount two ways. The first way is $.72 so they know where to put the decimal. and the other way is 72 with a cents sign.

We also have a 'store'. we have little cards and everday we buy something new. The items may cost like $.08. Each week we work with a different coin. so for instance, this week we're working with the dime. So if we're paying with a dime and our item costs 8 cents, how much change are we going to get in return? This is a hard skill for some students to learn. We use a dry erase board to help figure out the answer, write out the number sentence, etc. There's a lot you can do with that as well.

For the place value flip chart, its just a chart where the number of the day corresponds with the amount of days we've been in school. We talk about how many tens are in our number, how many ones, we add, subtract, etc. Again - a lot of skills you can incorrporate. The straws go along with this. Right now we have 7 bundles of 10 and 4 single straws, both in seperate containers to show tens and ones.

The problem of the day is usually a type of question they will see on our State Standards test. They have the whole day to answer the question on a small piece of paper and put it into the container. Then when we do calendar math, We read through the problem, work it out together, and I'll draw out answers. The first 3 students who get the answer correct get something from the goody jar.

We also try to incorrporate skills that we're working on in math at the time. So like right now I"m teaching two digit addition, money, and ordinal numbers, so I'm really going to hit those skills as well in calendar math. last month I had a large thermometer and everday we found the temperate and learned how to read and move the red in the thermometer. We do a lot of work with geometry with the shapes on the pieces on the calendar. A lot of times as well I'll give the students some manipulatives to get them more involved. So if we're working with Money, they'll each have a little bag of money to do some problems along with me.

you can also have a calendar helper each week. that student helps write things, put up the pieces on the calendar, and little things, just to give them something to do. they love it!

Well - sry for writing a book but I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions just let me know!
Good luck!
misswalton is offline   Reply With Quote

missa_g

Old 12-01-2007, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Is there a way to get this going mid year? I have the kit but got it in October and felt incredibly overwhelmed by it and could never figure out where to start. Of course, we'd start a little simpler, but does anyone have any suggestions?
missa_g is offline   Reply With Quote

paco61

Thank you MissWalton
Old 12-01-2007, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you, that is a lot of typing. This will help a lot! It gave me some encouragement. I think I will jump right in and try to catch up a little at a time. If I don't start now, I have to wait until next year. I still think my students this year will benefit from it, even thought I started so late in the year. I hope so. Thanks again!!
paco61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Calendar
Old 12-01-2007, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use Everyday Counts Calendar Math. I posted a picture of it here. This is from January last year and it's the second grade curriculum. Let me know if you have any questions!

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
A. Smith

A. Smith

Calendar Math
Old 08-06-2008, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Great training, thanks so much. I am in charge of training the new teachrs calendar math and I have never used it myself. I am simply reading books, so glad I found this. Thanks again.