How do you teach students to summarize? - ProTeacher Community

History1517

How do you teach students to summarize?
Old 11-29-2007, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Another newbie question here ...

In addition to history, I also teach language arts. How do you teach students to summarize a passage or section of reading? Do you have them focus on key words, and then go from there? What else could be done to teach this skill? Have you found any helpful graphic organizers?

Thank you so very much!

History1517 is offline   Reply With Quote

dolmansaxlil

Old 11-30-2007, 03:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My board put out this document that I'm finding really useful. It's in PDF. Starting on page 31 are several strategies (including Graphic Organizers) for teaching summary. Enjoy! http://www.lkdsb.net/program/element...DRA%202007.pdf
dolmansaxlil is offline   Reply With Quote

imalith

summary
Old 12-01-2007, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach summary for fiction and nonfiction seperately. I also break out fiction summary for short passages and books.

I use the "Step Up to Writing" idea of an IVF topic sentence. I is identify, v is Verb and F is finish it. The Identify has you name what you are summarizing (The story, entitled Back to the Zoo by Fred Smith) verb (describes) Finish it is the main idea of the entire passage (how Bobby became a zookeeper).

The IVF topic sentence is the commonality between all summaries.

For short fiction passages students now find the main events that happen in the beginning, middle and end of the story.

For novels students find the main problem, 3 events, climax and resolution.

For nonfiction students find one main idea in each paragraph depending on the length of the passage. Sometimes we review the passage first and break it up into smaller segments, perhaps by subtitles.

Summaries do not need concluding sentences.

Lesson 1: Those are my expectations for summary. Now to teach it takes some time. First I start with short passage fiction. Students make three columns labeled IVF. We start to write IVFs with books we all know. We do it whole class. After some practice, they write their own IVF with their current reading book.

Lesson 2: (guided practice) Read a passage with the class. Write an IVF for the passage in the 3 column graphic organizer. The organizer also has 3 boxes (beginning, middle, end). We fill it out together with short phrases in the boxes. Take away the passages, so they have to write in their own words. Now have them write the paragraph.

Lesson 3: (more guided practice) Read the passage aloud whole class and let students share and discuss the main idea of the story. Also discuss what would be considered the Beginning, Middle, End. They now complete the graphic organizer and write the paragraph.

Lesson 4: After grading Lesson 3, return and share the evaluation

Lesson 5: Independent practice on a new passage.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you! That was just what I do to teach fiction passages. Once they master fiction, it is just a short transition to learning book summaries and nonfiction. The trick is to continue to practice the topic sentences whenever an opportunity arrives.
imalith is offline   Reply With Quote

History1517

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2007, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the helpful PDF! I look forward to going through it. From what I've seen already, it looks wonderful. Thanks again!
History1517 is offline   Reply With Quote

sarah78

one simple idea - Somebody Wants But So
Old 12-11-2007, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My 7th graders spent much of the first term learning to summarize. Like others, I use a variety of organizers including a Who, Where, What,... one. Here are the overall steps we follow plus an organizer idea.

Steps- students can eliminate as they get proficient.
1- Preread- Ask: What is my purpose for reading ---? Simple, but it helps a lot if they know what they're reading for.
2 - Read through selection 1X. Read through again and highlight "big ideas": topic sentences, keywords and concluding sentences.
3 - Take information into jots. (Or into an organizer like the above.)

An organizer the students like is: SWBS (Somebody Wants But So). I love it too for fiction and n/f. It is a skeleton that you can build upon.

e.g. The 3 Little Pigs

Somebody - The 3 little pigs
Want - to build their own houses
But - the wolf wants to eat them so blows down the first 2 houses
So - they escape to the brick house and the wolf falls down the chimney.

sarah78 is offline   Reply With Quote

bgalum

Good Ideas!
Old 12-17-2007, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm definitely bookmarking all of these, as I know I'll be able to use them someday. I helped them by using graphic organizers, and would have them fill in sheets of notes I used during a smartboard.
bgalum is offline   Reply With Quote