Help

Career Decisions

Need Advice- Job

>

hebronharvest

Need Advice- Job
Old 01-07-2021, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was offered a job. Originally when I applied, it was listed as a regular position. Upon talking to the school, I found out it was interim, but that it still included benefits and documents to make me a full time teacher. The principal could give me no say as to whether the job would officially continue after the year.

They gave me the documents to fill out and then told me the next day that the job was only a long-term substitute and that they gave me the wrong paperwork. I took time to fill out the paperwork which was now voided.

This school is an hour away from me. I'm happy as a long-term (now building sub) here, and I'm a bit upset I was told something different than what is offered. Still waiting on a couple opinions, but looking for thoughts... was this handled right? Should I take the job for experience, as it is in my field? I feel very bitter about the whole process and think things might be better once the year ensues.

Please give me advice. I wasn't too keen on travelling an hour and not getting insurance. I have state insurance and if I am to maintain it, I cannot take a position like this and keep my state insurance. I would have to pay into another insurance, which would eat away at the revenue I make. That's a much lesser problem than how I feel I've been treated in this whole thing. Is it normal? Thoughts?

The listed jobs online are clearly listed "long-term substitute" and this one was not.

hebronharvest is offline   Reply With Quote

Denise G.

Denise G.

School Librarian
Old 01-08-2021, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi, I'm so sorry the events happened as they did. I know it can be extremely disappointing to have things to not pan out as you thought they would have or as you were promised. This should not be a common practice. It seems as if things are a bit unorganized in this organization, and I would probably think twice or three times before joining. I would also guess that after doing the math, you would actually end of paying money to work. You would need to take into consideration travel expenses, insurance, and other costs so that you can make a good decision regarding your employment situation. I wasn't clear...are you currently working at a school that is closer to where you live? If so, is there a chance that something could open up there?

hebronharvest

Old 01-09-2021, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Nothing has panned out. Everyone raves about how well I do at schools and I have glowing recommendations but it amounts to nothing.

I took the job against my better judgment. I am in a school I love now but have just finished a long-term sub position. They would have kept me as a building sub. It is much closer but the pay would be substantially less. I would make money but not as much as this new position an hour away. I took the job even though I'm bitter how things were handled above all.

I really feel that this wasn't a mistake on HR's end but rather an attempt to actually pay me less money due to budget constraints. By now, I know the game. Getting a job in this state is hard enough, but being educated and having Master's Degrees makes it tougher. These schools are playing me.

The only reason I took the job is it is in my field and will take me out to the end of the year. I'm a bit disturbed at how things went and if I don't have a job after this, I'm done with Education, at least here. It's all I've ever wanted to do but the opportunities aren't there besides schools who want to take advantage of my talents for less money. I'm better than that. Tons of my colleague from schools instantly got jobs and I'm stuck here without a permanent one. The kids love me wherever I go, the teachers appreciate me, the schools think I'm too expensive.

And people are going to say "relocate, relocate," but I am not in that luxury after having issues in my family that warrants me to stay here more than often. I'm not too keen on permanently uprooting where I live just to get a job...

Best I can do is stay positive. Gotta love waking up at 5 AM and leaving to school and coming home at 4:30/5:00 PM. We'll see how that goes.

happygal

Late
Old 01-10-2021, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

To offer advice on the decision whether or not to take the long term but these are my thoughts...

Find a living situation much nearer the school. Ask staff, maybe rent a room from someone. You don't have to officially move. The drive alone would kill me in one way or another.

Do not express any of your feelings to anyone within your professional life.

Chances are the principal articipated someone resigning who instead made a smarter choice to be out on leave. Hold your head high. Shine. This is the panning out. Make this, each day teaching, the day. There will be reward for you in the future

This principal probably is embarrassed at what has happened but bottom line, she needed a teacher.

Congrats on the job, all will be great. Again, seriously find a closer living situation for M thru Fri

Even a motorhome would be better than 10 hours drive time per week.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

hebronharvest

Old 01-10-2021, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Problem is my family life really doesn't allow me to go elsewhere at the moment. I won't get into it but it would be tough to move. The land is all country too. Being as it is temporary, I also don't want to invest in a living space elsewhere. I don't exactly have great insurance.

My personal opinion is that no one is out on leave. The superintendent looked at my credentials and switched it to long-term instead of wanting to pay me the full amount as a teacher (since I cost so much to the district). Budget is a big reason why I haven't been hired to many schools.