Help

Third Grade

Tutoring

>

bobcat

Tutoring
Old 01-30-2021, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Help! I am a retired teacher who has agreed to tutor a third grade boy in the school where I used to teach. I love the family and really want to help him. However, I've been out of the loop for the past three years of my retirement, plus I left all of my teaching materials to the teacher who was hired to fill my position. I still have my TPT account so I guess I can get materials there. What kinds of things do third graders like to read these days? My last grade taught was first grade for 15 years, so I'm not really sure what to expect. His teacher says he just needs to improve fluency. Comprehension and skills are fine; he just needs to build confidence. Any suggestions for materials, books, websites, etc...? Thank you in advance!

bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 01-30-2021, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I tutor and although most of my students have dyslexia, maybe some of these ideas will work for you.

I usually start by using the 1 minute drills from David Kilpatrick's book, "Equipped for Reading Success." It costs $50, but I use it for every session and with almost all my clients. These drills build phonological awareness, manipulation, and syllable awareness.

I follow Orton Gillingham methods and pull material from their manual and several curriculums that follow those methods. The Literacy Nest follows OG and has an online blog and store and she has great materials.

If the 3rd grader does not have an underlying reading disability, then I would work thoroughly on the 6 syllable types. He's probably fine on closed, open, and silent e types but I would make sure to review those. Then focus on the r influenced, "le", and vowel teams. One activity that really helps is to find lists of multi-syllable words and have the student mark the word by syllable types since this is often the root problem when kids lack fluency past the primary grades.

For example: purple.... pur (r influenced) ple (le rule).
remote... re (open) mote (silent)

The Wilson Reading System has some great lists for syllable work, but I think you might have to take the class in order to get the materials but maybe you can do a google search to find some other lists. When I first started and before I had built up enough resource materials, I used lists from the back of my Words Their Way Manual.

We also work on phrase work. For example: in the water, on the water, over the water. I have lists of these from the different programs I use. Lacking this resource, you could find decodable texts and pull phrases from whatever you will be reading. Decodable texts can really help some students.

I would also be interested in his spelling ability. I find this spelling inventory useful: https://wordstheirway842.weebly.com/...mental%20level.

I think decoding/fluency issues and spelling issues often go hand in hand, so working on spelling if needed might be a good idea.

Best wishes in helping this student!
Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

sisterwoman

Old 01-30-2021, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There are plenty of materials online. You could google fluency passages for his grade level or one level below (DIBELS). Also, TPT has some really good leveled passages. I agree with Song of Joy and would work on breaking multi-syllable words apart and chunking groups of words or phrases.
sisterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

bobcat

Song of Joy
Old 02-02-2021, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks so much for all of your great input!!!

bobcat

Sisterwoman
Old 02-02-2021, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks so much for your great input!!!