Help

ARCHIVE

Christmas Ornaments

>

dustyb12

Christmas Ornaments
Old 12-01-2007, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for a cute Christmas Ornament my students can make for their parents. I don't want anything expensive or hard to do since there is a chance I won't be at school when we do this activity (I am 9 months pregnant and due on Christmas Day). I don't want to leave the sub with a large mess or a confusing project. Any ideas my creative friends?

dustyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

"Marble" ornaments
Old 12-01-2007, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One I find easy and quite pretty is to "marbleize" clear glass ornaments (got this from Oprah or Martha or somewhere on some crafty show). Use two or three colors of craft paint (get at the hobby/craft store). Take the hanger end off of a clear glass ornament. Squeeze a little or two or three different colors of paint into the bottom of the ornament. Cover the opening with your finger and shake! The paint will swirl around inside the ornament. When the inside is well coated, place upside down in the ornament box so the excess paint will drain out. When dry, put the hanger back on the top and TADA, lovely marbleized ornament. I made a set of four with red/gold/green paint for an ornament exchange one year. People wanted to know where I bought them! They were shocked when I told them daughter made them after seeing it on a tv show.. I've made them with all ages, from second to sixth. Just be sure they don't get the paint on them... or have them bring an old shirt to wear.. because the paint will not wash off their clothing.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lizar

Old 12-01-2007, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How about felt Christmas trees?
You can pre-cut green felt into triangles and add sequins with tacky glue. Use a popsicle stick for the base and to give stability to the back. Voila!
Lizar is offline   Reply With Quote

Mom4a_and_c

ornaments
Old 12-01-2007, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the idea. I have seen the ornaments before and thought that was how they were made but have never seen it made in person. I can't wait to try it myself.

Marie from PA
Mom4a_and_c is offline   Reply With Quote

lisakae2

I love this...
Old 12-02-2007, 03:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have done this project every year and absolutley love it!! Be careful, though. The last two years, I've actually had the kids shaking the ornaments and the balls have broken right in their hands. Oops - I can't figure out why? Maybe some of them are made differently than others. I just tell my students that you don't have to squeeze them, just shake them . Have fun and enjoy!

lisakae2 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteach4th

Just did this one....
Old 12-02-2007, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

With my 4th graders. It was very simple and easy! (I found the info here on this website.)

We mixed long grain rice, a few drops of green food coloring, and Elmer's glue in a small bowl. The kids stirred it until it was mixed and then dumped it out on a piece of wax paper. I have a pattern of a circle taped to the table under the wax paper so they could see the correct size. After they dumped the mixture on the wax paper, they used their fingers to put it in a wreath shape around the circle pattern. They then washed their hands, and then put three small red beads on each side for berries. Once dry (overnight), I hotglued a paper clip hanger and one of those cheap, little red bows on the bottom of it. I will now take their picture, glue it to the back, and it'll be a Christmas picture frame ornament. So cute!

The project probably took my kids about 5 minutes to make. I did it with my small, guided reading groups. It worked well. I love the ones that are quick and easy!
iteach4th is offline   Reply With Quote

KyTeach3

what kind of paint do you use?
Old 12-04-2007, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Is it acrylic craft paint in the small bottles or tempra Paint? or something else? Thanks
KyTeach3 is offline   Reply With Quote