Help

ARCHIVE

Mountain Math & Language

>

sunsky778

Mountain Math & Language
Old 12-01-2007, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can some of you tell me exactly how this program works? I am thinking of buying it but would like to hear some of your reviews first.

Also if anyone is selling one let me know

Thanks

sunsky778 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 12-01-2007, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You display it on a wall/bulleting board, then change it as frequently as you want/need.

Our entire school uses it. It is beneficial in these areas:

1) a review, all year long of the basic skills.
2) a great independent activity/center.

They do need to be taught each problem before doing it on their own.
It is hard for the lower kids to do independently.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

iPeach

Mt. Math/Lang.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I found it to be good in some ways; not so good in others. It does give a much-needed review of basic skills. Currently, my class does 5 problems a day and we do them together. I've done them in different ways.

When I first used it, I put them all on the wall. Whoa! That was way too much as the kids had never seen MM/L ever! Some kids have a hard time looking down at the worksheet for the questions and then finding the problem on the wall. I'm going to try them in centers next.

They can be a management nightmare if you aren't careful. They also require a lot of cutting. I laminated mine but they don't have to be. If you are going to use them in centers, you should.

When I change grade levels, I don't think I'll be buying them again unless the school has paid for them and uses them.

iPeach is offline   Reply With Quote

iPeach

eBay
Old 12-01-2007, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Periodically, look on eBay and see if anyone is selling the kits. You never know!
iPeach is offline   Reply With Quote

rmckenna

bell work
Old 12-01-2007, 10:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We do our mountain math problems for bell work. I assign 3 problems a day and then once math time comes around, we start out lesson by going over the problems. I pick popsicle sticks to choose which student has to come up, and they have to explain to the other students step by step how they arrived at their answer. If they do something incorrectly, the other students help them out until we come to the right answer. The kids love doing it.

rmckenna is offline   Reply With Quote

Starfish

Independent work
Old 12-02-2007, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have used Mountain Math for several years. After the children learn how to do it, I assign it as independent work, giving them about a week to complete it. We then check it together.
It is a great review tool.....but it does take some time to change around. The good thing is that the pieces are 2-sided so every other week they can just be flipped over.
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote

kt

I can't imagine...
Old 12-03-2007, 10:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

trying to teach without MM/ML. The constant review is invaluable. I have a parent who changes the boards for me every week. I have MM on the wall, but also have an "assisted" form where I put most of the information on the form (I reworked it so there are blanks to write the numbers). This helps the kids with near/far focus issues, as well as kids with focus problems that get "lost" between the board and their paper. Kids that are far from the board can use clipboards and sit on the floor nearer the board. For ML, it is on a two-sided pocket chart. I use it as one of the rotation stations for guided reading groups. It helps to have a parent or aide in the room to answer questions. The most important part of using ML/MM is to train the kids on the procedure. It's a steep learning curve at the beginning of the year because 3rd grade is the first time they do it. But now, I have just a few kids that I have to really supervise, and most are independent. We do all 20 questions on ML, and 31 on MM. I just add new things as we cover them in class. I just added #2, multiplication. It is an inexpensive, wonderful way to review, review, review. The kids know the basics cold by June.
kt is offline   Reply With Quote

MunchkinLand

Where did you buy it?
Old 12-08-2007, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

A 4th grade teacher I knew used it several years ago. When I tried to find it for my own classroom, it was no where to be found. Is it purchased through a website?
MunchkinLand is offline   Reply With Quote

soph

Web Site
Old 12-09-2007, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Here's the web site link. http://www.mtmath.com/forum/mtmath.php
I bought Mountain Language, and I use it as a center during the literacy block. I use Arithmetic Developed Daily(ADD) instead of Mountain Math. I really like ADD. Our whole school uses it. Here's the link for that product. http://www.growpub.com/cgi-bin/GRWst...&link=cat_math
soph is offline   Reply With Quote

LECGA

I use them both for morning work...
Old 12-09-2007, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have divided up the corresponding worksheet into "days": day 1, day 2, day 3, day 4, and day 5. That way the problems are manageable. It takes a while to teach the routine at the beginning of the year, but I think it's a wonderful daily review that requires a bit of work to teach at the beginning, but is practically no work for you as the year goes on. I highly recommend them both!

LECGA is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

2/3 combination
Old 12-10-2007, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have used MM with third graders for years. I have eliminated a few of the questions and have had to rewrite the answer sheet.
This year I also wanted to do MM with my second graders, so I bought the "center version." It is on a small cardboard chart that stands up and all the questions are on one page, so you only flip once! There are 34 pages, so we assign a page a week. It can be used as a center or half of the class can work on it at a time.

I love it so much that I am ordering a center version for the 3rd graders. They cost around $75.00. I will get back a bulletin board!!
luvmycat is offline   Reply With Quote

kt

Great ideas
Old 12-11-2007, 10:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I love the "days" idea! We level for math, and I have the low group. I think that would make the whole thing more manageable and less toturous for the kids that really struggle. I rewrote the worksheet too, more for clarity and breaking down problems further, than anything else.
kt is offline   Reply With Quote

brandon1

2nd grade Mountain Math/Language
Old 10-08-2015, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Does anyone have the pages for Mountain Math/Language for 1st or 2nd grade. I had the book; but can't find it. I have the answer document and only some of the pages.
brandon1 is offline   Reply With Quote