Should I email schools and express my interest? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

Should I email schools and express my interest?

>

wrdsmth

Should I email schools and express my interest?
Old 02-14-2021, 12:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is it a good idea to email schools that you are interested in working at before they have posted job openings?

Do schools like to see your interest enthusiasm or do they think it is annoying and intrusive?

Do you think it will help you increase your chances of getting in interview and job or hurt your chances?

Thanks everyone for the advice!

wrdsmth is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 02-14-2021, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

FWIW: Speaking for my district, there is a strict protocol for job postings and interviews. You can’t skirt these. Of course, personal connections can help. But just emailing out of the blue - think about how many emails there are each day with legitimate business, think of how busy everyone is at this time, think what happens to an email from an unknown. Sorry but I wouldn’t waste my time.
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 02-14-2021, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with KetchupChips. Most unsolicited emails would get deleted (and emails with any attachments are often deleted even if they are opened). I have done some cold emailing in the past for jobs and occasionally received a response. However, in this time when all interaction is online I know that people's email boxes are completely exploding. I wouldn't email anyone who doesn't have a job unless you have an "in" with someone already (then email your contact instead).

I get a lot of unsolicited emails that get deleted immediately. If they are directing it to me and asking about opportunities, I will occasionally respond just to say I don't have anything for them because I hate to ignore targeted emails from real people, but it's a pita and I'm annoyed by the emails, tbh.

Good luck- I hope you see some jobs posted soon that are just right for you!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-14-2021, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I wouldn't email if there are no postings, and I would be cautious even if there are. When there are postings, make sure you carefully check every word of the application and application instructions to make sure there isn't anything in there asking you not to contact them.

With everything being on zoom now, my P is often sharing her screen in meetings/PD and such. I've noticed that she literally always has 3,000-4,000+ emails. And she's good about responding, so that's not just letting them pile up either. I think that's insane and now I always think twice before emailing her! As someone who doesn't yet work there, I'd worry that even if it does get noticed/doesn't just get deleted right away, it'd be noted as an annoyance.

Around here anyway, it's too early for schools to be even figuring out what their openings might be for next year. It's extremely unlikely that a P is going to receive your email, and however many weeks/months from now recall that someone emailed her who had the credentials for xyz opening.

If you're anxious for something to do now, just get all of your ducks in a row so that you can start applying the day those postings show up. Have your letters of rec, cover letter, resume, license, transcripts, etc. ready to go and uploaded somewhere so you can just attach them. Many districts that use applitrack (and other systems too, I'm sure) will also let you begin filling out applications even if there are no postings specific to you yet, so you could fill everything in/work on any essay questions, and then just have to click to add your application to postings as they do come up.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

wrdsmth

Old 02-15-2021, 01:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for all the thoughtful replies. I got my first job 15 years ago with a lucky email shortly before the school had a sudden departure. But I do think it was luck, and that you're probably right that in most cases it's not worth my time. I appreciate the help!

wrdsmth is offline   Reply With Quote