ARCHIVE

Don't know what to do

>

restless

restless

Don't know what to do
Old 12-02-2007, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need a little direction. If you've been in this situation, please give me a little advice. I really don't know if I should stay or go!
Basically I've been at my school awhile now, and I really like most of my colleagues. We get along, at least my grade level does, but we don't really have the same teaching styles at all. Its not that big a deal, but our planning is becoming more of a drudgery than a help because we are SO different in how we teach. They don't really want any new ideas, just want to do worksheets. We're friends and I've always been happy there but lately its just not enough.

My principal used to be pretty good, now she is just controlling and not wanting to try new ideas either. And she's not very nice! Our new API is great though and quite the opposite. Our curriculum - some of it I like and some I don't.

I guess I'm starting to get that feeling that I'm ready for a change, but the thought of it is so hard! Here I'm used to how everything works and I have great friends, but is that enough?

I guess I'm afraid if I go to another school, I might have worse problems with the principal and new grade level and will have made the wrong decision.

Ugh, this stinks. I feel so restless and unhappy right now.

teachnkids

Old 12-02-2007, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Go over to the Vent board and join in on the When is it time to go? post. There is lots of good advice on there. My latest answer to that persons question is---TODAY. I hate giving up a Sunday to be on the computer giving doing school work (and of course going to PT).

Good luck with your decision!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Decision
Old 12-02-2007, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Ultimately, only you can make that decision, but that being said, what helped me when I made the decision to move buildings and grade levels a number of years ago was I made a T chart. On one side, I put the pros of staying within my old building, and on the other, I listed the pros of moving. It became clear to me through that process, that moving on was a good decision for me. There never are any guarantees as to whether the grass would be greener in a new situation. There are always challenges ahead--parents, administration, relationships with colleagues that could be rocky. I would look to see if you feel your creativity and energy is being stifled, and if the behavior of your principal is something that really bothers you. Is your class especially tough this year, and are there any mitigating circumstances in your personal life that could be creating these feelings as well? If not, and you recognize that switching grade levels, if that happens, would mean a lot of new work, you might be ready for a change. Good luck in whatever you decide.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

A&W

Teach to Your Strengths
Old 12-02-2007, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Maybe I don't quite understand, but why do "you" have to do worksheets? If the rest of the team feels worksheets are the way to teach fine. Can't you modify your lessons to put more of your style into it. There are 5 of us on the team and although we are usually in the same are of curriculum we don't teach or use the same approach.

For example, just this week a math lesson called for the students to create a "one cubic foot model". An actual cube, my class made the cubic foot and used it to#measure how many cubic feet were in the whole classroom. My partner teacher next door made cubic feet, cubic meter, cubic yards. They came out great, especially when we hung them out in the hall. One teacher decided to use meter sticks and tape them together, another is still in the middle deciding what to do, and the other teacher hasn't started them yet.

Are you required to follow what everyone else on the team is doing. Why can't you teach using the appropriate adopted materials and state standards.

Maybe I don't see the whole picture. It may just be time for a change, perhaps a different grade level?
A&W is offline   Reply With Quote

imalith

lesson planning
Old 12-03-2007, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't understand why everyone has to teach concepts the exact same way. As long as your students understand the concept taught, why do you have to get them there the exact same way? Can't you just teach it your way?

In our groups we all teach differently. We complete common assessments and evaluate the results. If one class shows a significant improvement over the others, we ask that teacher how they taught the concept. I would never want to be forced to teach a certain way. Especially, if it was required to make students complete boring worksheets as the method of teaching rather than simply reinforcing the skill taught.

imalith is offline   Reply With Quote