Help

Substitute Teachers

Vaccine Experiences

>

YayaSub

Vaccine Experiences
Old 03-09-2021, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know I am in a different state than many of you, but here was my experience. Last week my state lowered the age of eligibility to 55, and a day or two later lowered it again to 50. At that time, it also opened up vaccines to all teachers and staff.

I was able to search my state, see which vaccine was offered at each location, and look for available appointments. I had decided I wanted the J&J one-dose option. I just wanted to get it done asap, so I scheduled for a place a couple counties away that had an appointment open the next day. I just needed my driver's license and insurance card. It was about an hour drive but worth it to me.

The younger school staff (not 50+) has to sign up through a different system, and they have struggled with finding available slots.

I woke up with fever, chills, and aches at 2 AM and have continued to be pretty uncomfortable today. I am grateful for the advice someone gave me to not try to work the next day. I have heard the first dose of the other kinds are not a big deal, but the second one is. My husband had everything performed the same as me, and he hasn't had one side effect.

YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 03-09-2021, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I got the Moderna vaccine. The first dose caused a rash & itching a week later, and I had a swollen lymph node under my arm. The second dose cause fever, chills, and body aches. I slept the whole following day.

DH had the same vaccine, but had zero issues with the first dose, and just a slight fever and chills with the second.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Good to know
Old 03-09-2021, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I got the first Moderna shot last Friday night, so far no side effects other then a sore arm for a day, but maybe some are still coming I don’t know. The only time I ever recall getting side effects from the shot was with my second dose of the shingles vaccination. That night I did get a fever and was achy from that, but the next morning I was fine. Hope you are doing better.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Beech49

Beech49

I Will Wait and See
Old 03-10-2021, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The Covid 19 vaccine isn't FDA approved yet. I'm in no hurry
to have it. They are still collecting data on this. I feel
fine now with regular doses of vitamin C and D and Zinc, so
unless districts force me to get the shots, I will wait. If there
is a vaccine mandate on teachers, I might leave the profession for a while. This vaccine is a bit rushed.

YayaSub

Old 03-10-2021, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I completely agree. I had no intention of taking it due to the lack of long term trials. However, this Grammy has only been able to see her grandbabies on a very limited basis for the past year. Unfortunately, this is what it takes for my family to allow getting together in person. (Not on my end. I take reasonable precautions and live my life.)

Quote:

The Covid 19 vaccine isn't FDA approved yet. I'm in no hurry

YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-10-2021, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Ima, you might be allergic. Rash and swollen lymph nodes might be an allergy to one of the inert ingredients.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-10-2021, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

All 3 vaccines are approved by the FDA. No one will force anyone to take the vaccine. That is a scare tactic used by some, but to each his own.

jakeh

Old 03-10-2021, 09:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I got my first shot today, Moderna, from my Medicare Advantage Allcare office locally. I had gone in for my regular one year exam and they offered the shot(s). Get the second shot in a month. Just a sore arm right now (like the shingles shot). Hope I live through the second shot (or even this one).

A friend of mine got the Pfizer shot(s) a month ago and has had real problems with the second shot: lost all strength in his arms. His wife had no problems other than chills, tiredness, etc. But she's over it.

I made a decision today, after a quick prayer (God loves those...), and will, obviously, stick with it.
jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Wendy2021

J&j
Old 03-11-2021, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Iím considering taking the J&J as well. Pfizer and Moderna are new mRNA techniques that have not been studied long term. They may be more effective but there is a lot we donít know yet. J&J and Astrazenica are made in the traditional way. They still provide some level of protection. Iím hoping to hear from others about J&J side effects.
Wendy2021 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 03-11-2021, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I too, am holding out for the J&J. I"m hoping my HMO gets more vaccine soon. I am skeptical about any vaccine that has been as rushed as this roll out has been. But will feel safer going in to work once I have been vaccinated.

Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

OCsubinCA

J&j
Old 03-11-2021, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I will be getting the J&J vaccine tomorrow morning and will post whether I experience any side effects.
OCsubinCA is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 03-11-2021, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Moderna, first shot, arm pain and delayed rash... after discussion with a health care provider who has had both, we concluded that it's hard to tell what are "legitimate" side effects versus psychological. Second shot is due next week and I am not expecting many problems. My DW has had both and had minimal reactions.

I'm not sure this is as much "to each his own" as we'd like to think. I won't be surprised to find limitations are imposed on the "unvaccinated." Wanna fly some where? Papers, please! Personally, I think it's all about managing risks but that doesn't mean others aren't going to want to manage for us.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Irene36

Janssen shot this morning 53 miles from home.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I also waited until the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) version was given authorization. If it turns out we have to get Covid vaccines each year, I may switch to Pfizer once more is known about effects of the mRNA delivery method.

I got my shot at 11:30 am this morning in a CVS pharmacy two counties away. I was looking forward to the trip, because it's near the Blue Ridge Parkway and I was planning a scenic drive after I left the pharmacy. That was disappointing -- extensive ice storm damage to the trees, graffiti all over rock outcroppings, and so much litter ... but I digress. On a positive note, this CVS had done a good job of setting up clean, attractive waiting and treatment areas.

No side effects yet at nearly 5:00 pm. When I got the second pneumonia shot in early February, it took over 24 hours for my arm to feel sore. I actually hope I do get some noticeable, but not horrible, side effects from today's vaccine so that I'll know it's working. I'll post again tomorrow!

18 hours after getting the shot: mild soreness at injection site; mild headache; fever of 99.6.

Last edited by Irene36; 03-12-2021 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: Adding information
Irene36 is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

My thought
Old 03-11-2021, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Like I said earlier, I got the first shot of the Moderna last Friday evening and so far so good óno side effects at all, my arm was sore for about a day, but to this point nothing else. As far as everyone needing to have the vaccine or show papers, I donít know that Iím really in favor of that. I never think the government should have the right to force medication or vaccines on people! That being said, I also donít feel that those of us who choose to get vaccinated should be forced to continue wearing masks because of the people who choose not to. They have a choice and we have a choice. My sister and her husband are both pediatricians, although her husband works in general medicine now. She said it is always about risk management, both of them did get vaccinated, however, my sister has a very close contact with someone who oversees vaccinations for childrenís hospitals and he is pretty adamant in believing that children under 12 should not be forced to get vaccinations especially at this point. So Iím really hoping that we donít start mandating younger children to get vaccinations. I donít think theyíre proven enough for children and younger children have low incidence of Covid disease. Iím not super worried about the fact that these vaccines were rushed because again itís risk management, sadly there are going to be cases where people donít do well with it, due to allergies I myself had to sit for 30 minutes in observation, however, at least to this point a lot more people have died from Covid then potentially from the vaccines. I am praying that as more and more people get the vaccine we can see how effective it is how safe it is and make improvements as needed if needed. The thing with COVID is it is very unpredictable ómy sisterĎs neighbor for example, was 64 years old, in good health with no comorbidities and he died from it. I have another friend who had a family friend who was 38 years old, young dad with children no major risks and he died from it. So again it is risk management and each person needs to be informed and decide for themselves.
Beech49

Beech49

The Question of Vaccine Approvals Per FDA
Old 03-11-2021, 08:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

The FDA issued an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for the use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine. The FDA also issued an EUA for the use of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine. The issuance of an EUA is different than an FDA approval (licensure) of a vaccine. The FDA has not fully approved these vaccines. They are still collecting data, and the people getting them could be considered guinea pigs. There lately has been much discussion in Washington politicians that every American will take the vaccine. There is real discussion out there about the possibilities of mandating vaccines on everybody. I guess I'll be living under a rock in the forest 'cuz I ain't takin' no shots....not yet.

luv2teach2017

also approved Johnson and Johnson
Old 03-13-2021, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

The FDA has approved all three covid 19 vaccines (for emergency use) as of now.

I had my first Moderna shot a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately, my school district arranged to provide all staff access to the vaccine. I was beginning to worry because my district will be opening schools early next month (I've been distance learning subbing since September 2020), and I didn't want to return to school until I've been vaccinated. Now I will be fully vaccinated and ready to work on campus again . We will still be wearing masks and social distancing, but at least I won't be worrying so much about getting infected.

As for "side effects," I only had soreness, redness, and a bit of swelling in the area of the injection. The soreness went away in a couple of days. It's still a bit red and a tiny bit swollen, but no biggie. Hopefully the next injection will go as smoothly.

I think if you want to circulate among other people as well as go back to work on campus, you should get the vaccine. We don't live in a vacuum. Everything we do affects those around us, as has been clearly evidenced by this pandemic. If you want to go off and live in a cave, then I guess you won't pose a risk. Otherwise, you should do the right thing and help protect yourself AND others. If we want to end this pandemic, we each need to do our part.

As a kid, back in the 50s, I had to have a polio shot...it was mandatory for school aged kids. Even though my mother believed in "natural remedies," she fully cooperated and got all her kids their shots. (Ever wonder why we never hear about the risk of polio anymore? Vaccination.) People back then were more willing to do what was needed rather than bucking everything in the name of personal preferences. I think the Great Depression and World War II taught folks back then a few lessons about working together for the common good. We could learn a few things from that generation. Just sayin'.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-13-2021 at 11:06 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Iím a lucky one
Old 03-13-2021, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I was able to get my first Moderna in January (our state moved teachers up with medical personnel as we have been face to face teaching since August). Just a sore arm that time. 2nd dose was about a month ago and I had 1 day of tiredness and chills. My sister, who works in the medical field, had a far worse time after the vaccine than I did. I believe the side effects are different for everyone and some may depend on if you had Covid before. My Dr. said that may have been what I had last January as it was flu-like but not showing up on flu testing. I was pretty sick for a couple of weeks.

Regardless, most people are able to go back to normal within 24-36 hours of the 2nd dose. Iím not sure about the new 1 dose vaccine.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Beech49

Beech49

Emergency Use Approved
Old 03-13-2021, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Again, these vaccines are not FDA approved. They are FDA Emergency Use Approved because of Operation Warp Speed, which was done in nine months. It usually takes about a decade for FDA approval. So there is a difference here as far as data is concerned, and an element of risk is involved if you take the shots. And once again, there is big discussion in Washington to make people take the vaccines, and more discussions by Fauci of possible lock downs if people don't take the vaccine. Lots of talk from Washington about "reinstating restrictions" if people aren't vaccinated. Like the masks, pressure on people to take the vaccine might be coming. There is no "fear mongering" here when you're dealing with facts. Polio is a completely different situation. Many Covid deaths are associated with having serious comorbidities. Per CDC, many of those 500,000+ deaths had serious underlying problems. Per CDC, the number of Covid deaths is somewhat exaggerated. If you've had cancer for years, and Covid 19 pushes you over the cliff, labeling it as a Covid death only wouldn't be completely accurate. Healthy individuals should have the choice to not take the Covid 19 vaccines when they are fine with no underlying health problems. Lets'not forget that there is still only less than one percent chance of dying from Covid in general when you include people of all ages together in the math, and that's also when you include deaths with comorbidities. That percentage is less for Covid only deaths (deaths without comorbidities), and most certainly the percentage would be less for younger people.

luv2teach2017

Old 03-13-2021, 09:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Beech49...the topic of this thread is our experiences with the vaccine, not our political views on the current administration, etc. Unless you have a medical degree with specific expertise in the study of viruses and pandemics and their treatments, you are not equipped to provide reliable information about the validity of the vaccines or the causes of the covid deaths, etc.

You are new to this forum and not signed up as a member. Maybe you are not familiar with the nature of the forum. Please respect others here by to sticking to the original topic and avoiding inappropriate politicizing or spreading misinformation.

I personally hope that, if you are working as a substitute teacher, you are taking responsibility for protecting yourself and others by following the recommended guidelines (wearing a mask, social distancing, and yes, getting the vaccine).
Beech49

Beech49

Civil Liberties
Old 03-13-2021, 11:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

The concern with the interference of our civil liberties came and still comes to mind with mask mandates. If put into place, mandates on vaccines would strip more from the near empty shell of our rights. If this does take effect, then I believe it could become draconian because it might prevent people from getting jobs or traveling, etc. This is something we should all be concerned about. The big question is to what amount and how much time are people willing to give up? Washington makes important and lasting decisions on the people, so I will be questioning everything they are doing. The quality of life in many parts of the US are waning, and I believe that individuals can make their own decisions on dealing with the Covid vaccine.

jazzer

Old 03-14-2021, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Another thing to remember is that Covid is related to SARS which came out 9 years ago. Scientists have been studying this disease for a long time and since Covid is a form of SARS, though it is a little different and there is much we donít know about it, it was enough to be able to put together a safe Covid vaccine in a shorter amount of time.

Could there be side affects from it down the road, maybe, but I took the risk because I wanted to eliminate my daily fear of getting it since I am required to be teaching in person again.

I had no reactions to my first Pfizer shot, and had flu like symptoms, chills, muscle aches, and was tired after my second one.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

OCsubinCA

J&J side effects I experienced
Old 03-14-2021, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

After receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine I experienced flu-like symptoms that evening through the following day. Today (two days later) I still feel a little off but better than yesterday.
OCsubinCA is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 03-14-2021, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Peddle your anti vax and mask conspiracies on your fb page, not here.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 03-15-2021, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

For those against the vaccine: How much longer do you want to live in fear?

We can get this nightmare over with much faster if we just get our shots.

Our president and ex-presidents have received the vaccine. They're old as hell and they're fine.

Yeah, it's unpleasant and a little scary, but so is sitting in the ICU.

Anyway, like Fractured mentioned before my post, let's not turn this into Facebook.

Let's keep these threads related to the school system instead of turning this into a political message board churning out fear propaganda. This site isn't Fox or CNN.

I think many students and parents would be happy to know subs were getting vaccinated.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-16-2021, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

What is surprising is that in the Clinical trials, there were bad reactions from people that had received the PLACEBO. Our mindset has a lot more to do with it than we think.

At my hospital those that didn't get the flu shot had to wear a mask. That may be what they do with this vaccine, too.

I had symptoms from the 1st shot (Pfizer) and I get the 2nd one on Thursday. I hope I don't have symptoms, again, but I'm taking off Thursday and Friday, just in case.

If I had a choice I'd get j and j just because I wouldn't have to go back.

I have to give the people here kudos that they know so much about the types of vaccines, mRNA vs. traditional, etc. More knowledgeable than most I talk to.

luv2teach2017

thank you!
Old 03-17-2021, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Quote:
For those against the vaccine: How much longer do you want to live in fear?

We can get this nightmare over with much faster if we just get our shots.

Our president and ex-presidents have received the vaccine. They're old as hell and they're fine.

Yeah, it's unpleasant and a little scary, but so is sitting in the ICU.

Anyway, like Fractured mentioned before my post, let's not turn this into Facebook.

Let's keep these threads related to the school system instead of turning this into a political message board churning out fear propaganda. This site isn't Fox or CNN.

I think many students and parents would be happy to know subs were getting vaccinated.
Well said! I was trying to be tactful in my previous post, but you've nailed it, subsaurus! Thank you!

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-17-2021 at 01:40 PM..

bodhimom

Old 03-17-2021, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I get my phizer #2 tomorrow. I hope I'm not sick like with #1.

Tawaki

Moderna here
Old 03-18-2021, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Got my first shot yesterday. Sore arm 3/10, and that's it.

I'm tired of dealing with non mask wearing edge lords. I'm beyond baby making days, and made peace with I have a good chance dying from the Ro anyway, so why not?

Besides I want to travel, and looks like you need to get vaccinated to travel overseas. I lucked out that my health care system pulled my name up.

I figure this wasn't going to happen until August, and was not actively searching for the vaccine.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-18-2021, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I'm in the waiting period for phizer shot #2. Glad to be done with it. Wish I would have had j and j so I wouldn't have to come back, but happy to get it.

Now hubby needs it. He doesn't qualify, yet, in California, even though he has underlying conditions.

teabreak

Beech
Old 03-19-2021, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Quote:
believe that individuals can make their own decisions on dealing with the Covid vaccine.
Iím glad you stated this. Yes, those that choose not to get vaccinated, it is their choice. Those that choose to get vaccinated, it is their choice.

So, because it was my choice to do all the research on the vaccine, determine which one would be right for me if I wanted to get it, and then make the decision whether to get it or not.....itís up to me. It is my choice.

This thread is about those of us that made that choice, and how we dealt with the effects of it afterward. Once we got the vaccine, itís not like we can put it back in the syringe because you are stating your (in my opinion) political views. Please pedal your wares elsewhere at this time. There is an issues and politics board that I think would be a better match for you on this subject.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

cuteteach25

I had the J and J shot
Old 03-20-2021, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I was against getting the shot at first due to not trusting the FDA and pfizer. I took depo made by pfizer in my 20's for one year, ten years later it had a black box warning for bone density loss, and I have lifelong consequences. So, I told myself if anything it would be one and done J and J. Husband's work offered it so I got it. Nothing like flu shot...painful shot, 5 hrs. after shot extremely fatigued and slept for 3 hours, fever of 100-101, went to bed early, chills, sore muscles, extremely painful headache all night, tossed and turned, and lessened next day but still had headache. Husband's side effects same, but no headache. We're in our forties, which may explain why our side effects were strong. I read 18-55 year olds are most likely to have side effects . We got it Saturday morning and I was back to normal Monday morning.
cuteteach25 is offline   Reply With Quote
sub89

sub89

vaccine experience
Old 03-21-2021, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I got the first shot of Moderna two days ago. I had a metalic taste in mouth-- still a slight off taste today. My arm was also very sore about four hours after the shot. The soreness is gone today. Those are the only side affects that I have noticed.

Nietzsche

Old 03-29-2021, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Quote:
Beech49's Message:
The FDA issued an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for the use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine. The FDA also issued an EUA for the use of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine. The issuance of an EUA is different than an FDA approval (licensure) of a vaccine. The FDA has not fully approved these vaccines. They are still collecting data, and the people getting them could be considered guinea pigs. There lately has been much discussion in Washington politicians that every American will take the vaccine. There is real discussion out there about the possibilities of mandating vaccines on everybody. I guess I'll be living under a rock in the forest 'cuz I ain't takin' no shots....not yet.
Your post is inaccurate. There is no reason to spread false conspiracy theories. I got my first Moderna vaccine on Feb. 6th. My son was one of the first to get the Pfizer vaccine back before Christmas. He is a doctor who works in the ICU with very sick Covid-19 patients. My wife, daughter-in-law, sister-in-law, and brother-in-law have all received either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines. None have had any issues other than a slight sore arm at the shot location. I had more of a reaction from the Shingrix vaccine. We need to get as many people vaccinated as possible. It is only common sense.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

I agree
Old 03-29-2021, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Thankfully no one in my immediate or extended family ever came down with Covid, including my sister and her husband who are both doctors. All of us have been vaccinated in my immediate and extended family with the exception of two individuals, and none of us have had any problems beyond a sore arm and a few had some fatigue after the second shot. We range from in our 20s up through 88. Iím getting my second Moderna shot this Friday. I do anticipate Iíll probably have some side effects, as I did get a slight fever with the second shingles vaccination. I am 63 and for me itís about risk management and I felt like there was more risk in getting Covid than taking the vaccine. That being said I do not believe in the government mandating it and I believe everybody has to make their own choice. It is not your right however to put people down for the choice they make.

luv2teach2017

My 2nd Moderna
Old 03-30-2021, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

Hey guys...this is a place for help and support, not a political debate, so can we please stick to the topic at hand and stop with the politicizing and taking sides here? (As others have said, please use your FB page for that.)

Back to the topic...I had my second Moderna shot on Friday! Everyone says the 2nd shot has worse symptoms, but in my case, it was different, but not worse. The first time, I had fairly mild flu-like symptoms the next day, but then continued to have starts and stops of mild symptoms (such as mild headache) for a few days after. My arm was painful for a few days. The second shot, I got heavily slammed with all the typical flu symptoms and very sore arm the day after, but my arm pain disappeared in a couple of days, and aside from a bit of a sore throat, I've been feeling very energized and really great! (I'm in my 60s btw.)

My district is transitioning from strictly distance learning to hybrid, starting next week. The schools are taking all the precautions (masks, social distancing, better sanitation). To be on the safe side though, I won't take any sub jobs till the following week, when my full immunization kicks in (2 weeks after my 2nd shot).

I'm aware that even though the vaccination protects ME, there's still potential for me to be a carrier and infect others. So I will still be mindful of wearing a mask and social distancing. All that said, I'm really looking forward to feeling safer and freer to go about a more normal life! SO happy and relieved that I finally got my covid shots!

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-30-2021 at 06:43 AM..

bodhimom

Old 03-30-2021, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

My experience was similar to luv2teach.

They won't tie people down and force them to get the vaccine. That's a scare tactic.

CC96

Second shot yesterday afternoon
Old 04-03-2021, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I got my second Moderna shot yesterday afternoon around 3:30 and my arm was really sore overnight and then I woke up this morning with shakines, chills, no appetite, and I had already had a headache, but now my headache is much worse and wonít go away. I only had a very slight fever. I am living on Tylenol. Iíve been in bed all day and my arm is now feeling a little better and I donít have as much shakiness, so Iím thinking by tomorrow Iíll probably feel a bit better. I actually predicted and expected side effects because I tend to have a very strong immune systemó I rarely get sick and I knew my immune system would kick into gear to fight against the invaders.

NJSubteacher

Terrible Vaccine Experiemce - First Dose
Old 04-14-2021, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I received my first dose of Moderna on Monday thinking I won't have any side effects (since I never did before with any previous vaccines). I was wrong! I woke up at 4am with a rapid heartbeat (possible delayed allergic reaction?). After drinking some water, walking around for a while, it finally subsided. Then at 6am, I woke up with teeth chattering chills but took a shower to get ready for subbing anyway since I did NOT have a fever (98.5 degrees). I went to work anyway, but as the day progressed, I had extremely painful body aches and the worst headache I ever had in my life! I dont know how I made it to 12:30 when my subbing day ended. I made it home, took 4 advil and took a long nap for rest of the day. Finally felt a little better in the evening.

With that said, I REFUSE to get my 2nd dose! Will not go through that hell again. My concern is that school districts will require staff to be vaccinated. But, would they really do this for a NON FDA approved vaccine (especially when one vaccine was already paused for safety concerns)? Would there be a way to get medically excused due to my severe reaction after first dose? Thanks for any feedback on this. I did send the CDC info relating to my side effects in hopes they send me some kind of letter confirming.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

re vaccine side effects, expectations, etc.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

In response to the previous post:
If you read up on it and follow the recommendations, it's pretty much common knowledge that people should expect certain types of side effects and be prepared to take it easy and stay at home the first few days after getting a covid vaccination.

I've never gotten a flu vaccine either, and so I didn't know how I'd react to the covid vaccine. But I read up on what to expect so I could prepare.

At this point, I've had both of my Moderna vaccinations. Each time, I experienced much of what the previous post (and others) did...the fever, flu symptoms, fatigue, sore arm, headache for the first couple of days. The symptoms were pronounced the first day and then quickly faded out over subsequent days. ( The headache and fatigue came and went over a longer stretch. ) None of this surprised me because I'd read up on it, knew what symptoms were typical, and knew to expect possible symptoms. I followed the recommendations and planned to stay home and rest a few days after each shot.

I also did not go back to teaching in person until I'd had both vaccines and the 2-week waiting period had elapsed after the second one ( you are not fully immunized until 2 weeks after your second Moderna shot). This week was the first week I've been back in the classroom since last year at this time (I've been distance learning subbing since Sept. 2020).

I've felt much safer and more at ease because I've had the vaccine. Of course, I still wear a mask and adhere to social distancing both in school and out. (I know that even though I've been immunized, I can still potentially be a carrier and infect others.)

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 04-15-2021 at 07:09 AM..

bodhimom

Old 04-15-2021, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

I had symptoms with both 1st and second shot of phizer. Husband has 1st shot of same and didn't have a single side effect.

CC96

1st shot
Old 04-15-2021, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

I got the Moderna vaccine and had absolutely no symptoms after the first shot and my second shot symptoms are discussed in the post above. I donít typically get symptoms from my flu vaccine which I get every year, however, I did get symptoms from my second Shingrix vaccine for shingles, but not for the first of that one either. I expected that I would get symptoms for the second Moderna shot because I have a pretty solid immune system and I knew it would kick into gear. My son and his wife as well as my husband also experienced flu like symptoms following their second shots. All were Moderna except my daughter-in-law was Pfizer. No surprise.

bodhimom

Old 04-16-2021, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

I haven't had any side effects from flu vaccine, didn't even feel the needle, not even a sore arm.

Will be nice if they can add the booster covid vaccine to the flu vaccine, in the future.

CC96

No....
Old 04-16-2021, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

I believe the Covid-19 vaccine will become an annual event, however, I would not want to receive it at the same time as the flu vaccine. Too much at one time. I am one of those people that is pro vaccine for children and adults, however, I donít believe itís necessary or wise to give babies all their vaccines at once like it has been for years and years. I think vaccines need to be staggered for the most part.

CC96

No...
Old 04-16-2021, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

I believe the Covid-19 vaccine will become an annual event. However, even though I am pro-vaccine for both children and adults, I donít think children under 16 should be getting the Covid-19 vaccine yet. It has not been tested enough and the risk factor for those age children is low and as a matter fact my sister and her husband are both pediatricians and they say that children under like 10 are very unlikely to even be able to pass the disease to others. As for getting the COVID-19 vaccine with the flu vaccine, no, I donít think thatís a good idea. I think most vaccines should be staggered and I donít think itís ever a good idea including with babies to give them and us more than one vaccine at a time.