Help

Career Decisions

Quitting

>

omacrulzzz

Quitting
Old 03-13-2021, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Im going to work till the end of the school year, then I'm done. I've got a little money saved up, so I thought I'd take some time off and just not renew my teaching contract. I'm a little apprehensive, but I've been teaching 15 years and I feel like I can survive a little while on my savings and maybe find a part time job or maybe even sub when the pandemic gets a little better.

Anyone else thinking about quitting or taking a break? Any advice? Suggestions for side jobs I can do without experience other than teaching?

omacrulzzz is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

quitting
Old 03-14-2021, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I left last year. I took a leave the year before to explore my options. I did some different jobs and found one that I liked so that way I felt more comfortable quitting. I was still scared because I had spent so much time in education. Best of luck!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Fed Up Teach

Fed Up Teach

Old 03-15-2021, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi!

I am glad that you decided to quit! I mean, that is for your own sake. Whatever the reason! I am still in teaching but have been contemplating to quit for years now. I have come to the point where I do not really care what kind of job to do, as long as it is not teaching!

I am just so done with the nonsense! And I do understand that the pandemic has been so tough on all of us, kids and parents included, but what has been happening (at least in my case) is that so many kids and parents use this pandemic as an excuse just do nothing! Every day I hear excuses as to why no homework has been done, or why this...or why that. I am just so done! And that comes from my fourth graders!

To make matters worse, when I explain why not completing assignments matter and I say this, of course, in my stern, as-a-matter-of-fact voice, they become so sensitive and go around telling parents I was yelling at them.

One time a few students began to cry because they did not like the fact I was being adamant about them doing their work.

I am just so done dealing with the culture of snowflakes and life-long victims.

I am sorry that I hijacked your thread.

I am not studying to become an HR generalist so hopefully I will land an HR job soon.

Good luck to you in anything you set your mind to!

PopQueen1213

I hear you!
Old 03-30-2021, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just came accross your comment and wanted to tell you... I HEAR YOU. Parents and kids act like everything is SOOO difficult! Even college students. As if half of their homework wasn't online in the first place before the pandemic! They're like oh this is so hard on us like yeah I get it, but that isn't an excuse to do nothing. Parents are just mad that they finally have to do their job at home, lol. They're like blah blah blah homework shouldn't be given. Parents are just LAZY. You should have thought about this before having a kid. My mom, a career woman with a full time job, used to make us do our homework all the time regardless of snow days or online or whatever was thrown at us because she isn't lazy and gave a crap about our education!
PopQueen1213 is offline   Reply With Quote

Wendy2021

Omacrulzzz
Old 03-31-2021, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I understand wanting to take a break. Itís been an awful year and the impacts from this year will stick around for a while. One thing to consider is how this will affect your pension. Is there a way to take a break that will still allow you to maintain employment. Some type of leave?

As for work, the world is your oyster. Look at job postings and see what sparks interest. It doesnít have to be related to teaching. You can sell your teaching background as a bonus to employment.

If I took a break Iíd want to explore completely different jobs. Maybe look at museums, senior centers, animal shelters, etc...

In many places, there are programs that are looking for ways to connect with schools. If you want to keep your hand in teaching, look for those opportunities.

You can always tutor.

Another option is taking some courses that will give you more options moving forward.

Good luck to you.

Wendy2021 is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 03-31-2021, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't blame you. I hope you find something that works better, and isn't so insane! One word of advice - don't let your teaching license expire. It helps for subbing, and is hard to reinstate if you give it up.

Good Luck!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

eatrunteach

Old 04-05-2021, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You are not alone! The district made (yet another) change that started on 2/1/21. I chose to not be a part of it and went on unpaid leave. There is zero care about teachers in my district, and I am tired of playing into the status quo of it all. I am looking for something completely different. I have the right to go back if I want to, but I won't. It is one of the most toxic environments I have ever seen, and I have been teaching for a number of years. Here's to moving forward.
eatrunteach is offline   Reply With Quote