Help

Third Grade

Moving from 2nd to 3rd

>

middlestsis

Moving from 2nd to 3rd
Old 03-31-2021, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My principal recently asked me to move from 2nd to 3rd. I've been in 2nd for 6 years and the last time I was in 3rd grade was in a different state. I'm a little worried about the major differences in the standards (I'm in SC, so they are not common core). I'm just looking for some tips. Anything I need to know going in? Anything I NEED to make sure I get? Any major ways I need to change my teaching? Thanks!

middlestsis is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Thoughts
Old 03-31-2021, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

At the beginning of third grade, some students will still be "learning to read."
Thereafter, most students will be "reading to learn." That is one big change in third grade.

Your classroom collection of books with need to be picture books, easy nonfiction, and short, easy chapter books for your struggling readers, but chapter books at a variety of levels/genres for your grade level and above grade level readers. Don't forget about nonfiction books on a variety of topics.

If you don't get too many responses on this board, you might want to move your question to the Busy Board.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Old 03-31-2021, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love third grade because they can do so much more independently than a second grader can.
You’ll know where to start with them because it will be where you left off with your 2nd graders.
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

middlestsis

Relief
Old 03-31-2021, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the advice! I am both excited and nervous. I did like 3rd grade the year I taught it, but it's been so long. I think a change will be nice, but it means almost starting over again! I know it will be challenging both with the new standards and the changes to my schedule, but I am trying to be optimistic. My principal knows I want to eventually be an interventionist and he mentioned this might help me get a position for that, but I'm not sure how. Most of the interventionist pull K-2.

I am also cross-posting to get any more perspectives. Thanks again

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-01-2021, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

3rd grade is my heart grade. I taught it the last 9 years before I moved to Sped. They come in independent, they're still excited to learn, they're reading to learn (most of them), and the curriculum is interesting, but not challenging for you. I just love it. It is moving from primary to intermediate so it's all about putting onus on the kids and parents really struggle with that.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

middlestsis

Gg
Old 04-01-2021, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That is really interesting because I got my Master's in Sped Intervention. I don't have a certificate to teach Sped classes, but taking the courses made me seriously consider becoming a resource teacher (what we call pull-out for students with LD). My principal said that 3rd grade would be a good grade to add to my resume if I wanted to get into intervention.