Spanish for Pre-K - ProTeacher Community

Iris

Iris

Spanish for Pre-K
Old 10-09-2005, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is anyone teaching Spanish to the "wee" folks? If so, I would like ideas you may have as I have one little girl age three who just barely speaks up in English. I need some direction on teaching this age.

Thanks...

Erin

Erin

Old 10-26-2005, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am dealing with the same problem. My child doesn't even know the english word for sit down. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks
Nancy

Nancy

helping with spanish
Old 11-02-2005, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I quickly learned a few Spanish phrases such as sit don, no hitting, wash your hands, etc. Most little ones will pick up English as you go along. I point out objects around the room as needed and say the names in English. You can go to freetranslation.com and they will instantly translate a phrase or message for you from English to Spanish or vice versa
Nilda

Nilda

Bilingual Preschoolers
Old 11-16-2005, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a two-years old son. At the begining, we were only using Spanish at home but, living in Florida, I wanted him to be able to communicate with everybody so we started speaking English more often. I teach him every word in both Spanish and English and it has been great. He understands both languages, although I have to admit that his favorite is English... Anyways, as some else said before, as he/she points out an object, try telling the word in the language you want hi/she to learn. I always ask him to repeat the word, so I can make sure he understood and it also help with the pronunctiation.

Good Luck!

* Some common phrases and words:

1- wash your hands = lávate las manos.
2- let's eat! = vamos a comer!
3- sit down = siéntate
4- please = por favor
5- milk = leche
6- water = agua
7- juice = jugo
8- let's go potty = vamos al baño
9- do not touch = no se toca
10- no hitting = no se dá

Hopes it hepls!
Tundra

Tundra

Bilingual Child
Old 11-05-2007, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I also have a bilingual 3 yr old son. I only spoke Spanish to him at home, but when he started school I had to teach him the words in Spanish and English. His teachers had a difficult time but he caught on rather quickly. Now his teacher knows little phrases and they communicate really well.

The phrases you gave are very good starters. Children who speak to languages learn really fast it is the teacher who needs to have patience.