Help

School Mental Health

Behavior Interventionist

>

Sophianna

Behavior Interventionist
Old 08-23-2021, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good morning. I recently took a new position in a school with which I was unfamiliar. I have now been here four weeks (two with kids) and it seems I am a behavior interventionist more than anything. I started the year with a "case load" and I started scheduling kids as I have always done. I was told by the other counselor, "We don't really do that here." So I want to seek a different position because I do not want to be a behavior interventionist.

Is it wrong to move on this quickly? I feel guilty about it... but I don't know if I can do it for a year...

Sophianna is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 08-24-2021, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm sorry that things aren't going well for you and I don't have any magic solution.

However, don't assume that what the other counselor is telling you is correct. I would start by talking with your supervisor or perhaps the principal. Maybe there is flexibility for you to work one way and the other counselor to handle things in another way. Maybe what the counselor said is what the counselor wishes they were.

I hope you can get things worked out. In some situations if you resign, your license can be suspended, depending on the circumstances.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Wow-
Old 08-25-2021, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What did you think you would be doing? I agree with talking to someone higher up.

Surely, it can't all just be about responding to behaviors after the fact-
"putting out fires" is the lingo we used to use. That would solve nothing in the long run...

Kids who have known behavior problems can and do respond well to learning about themselves--recognizing triggers, self regulation, strategies, etc. But it doesn't happen by osmosis--someone needs to check in with them and then purposefully teach them those things.

Maybe even have some groups, etc to do social stories, role playing, brainstorming, etc.

Then depending on the triggers, you could add on more lessons to meet needs.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Sophianna

Yep
Old 09-19-2021, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was not a behavior interventionist at my old school - so I did exactly those things!! I don't understand the mentality of this counseling program. We aren't using our skills at all!

Thanks for making me rememer why I do this.
Sophianna is offline   Reply With Quote