Are you comfortable traveling right now? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Retired Teachers

Are you comfortable traveling right now?

>

Cat woman

Are you comfortable traveling right now?
Old 09-02-2021, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Once I retired I took a winter vacation to all inclusive resorts (except the last two years, for obvious reasons).

I have a good friend that just returned from 10 days in Alaska. She and her husband had a great time and whenever she texted photos I extended congratulations and positive comments. Now that she is home she is telling me I really need to get out to see the great big beautiful world we have. Itís not like I havenít been aroundótraveled both internationally and domestic since my college days.

I tried to explain to her that I donít feel comfortable traveling right now with the pandemic situation, but she just seems insistent that I will be fine since I am vaccinated.

I have no plans to do any traveling for a while and I am fine with that decision. I just wish she would back off. I realize she is coming off from that traveling high that we often experience. She is making me feel like I am a fuddy dud. (This is the first vacation she has taken in probably 8 years.)

Are you comfortable traveling right nowóespecially involving air travel? Am I being weird?

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I am with youÖ
Old 09-02-2021, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

At the end of June, before the variant was raging, a good friend and I took a short road trip to the Outer Banks of NC. Part of the reason for going was to attend an author luncheon and evening program. We stayed at several motels and masked when we felt we needed to, even though it was optional. We dined outside and avoided crowds.

If the opportunity to see the authors and to travel came up today, I would not go. We were unmasked indoors for that. We also attended an outdoor drama where we were seated next to others in an amphitheater. I would have masked up if I did it today. I consider myself fortunate that we did not return with any illness, and yes, we are fully vaccinated.

I have no desire or plans for air travel. Everyone needs to find their own comfort zone, and right now, I am staying close to home. I know plenty of people my age who are traveling by air, but it is not for me.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

No travel for me
Old 09-02-2021, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I might consider national and state park travel/camping if I had a RV. But I would not get on a plane and don't care to stay in a hotel during this pandemic.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 09-02-2021, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You are not a fuddy duddy or weird. Iím not ready for air travel or staying in a hotel. We just do day driving trips. But we mask up inside stores or museums. We donít eat indoors. I admit to feeling uncomfortable around people right now.

Everyone needs to decide on their comfort level. And we should respect each otherís choices.
KetchupChips is online now   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 09-02-2021, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Iím not. I have to take my mom from
Fl to Pa for a wedding. We will drive because weíll have less exposure to people than if we flew. Iím on the fence about going but it was delayed from last year and my sister would be very disappointed if I didnít go.

Once we are back from the wedding I will be finished with traveling for a while.

wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 09-02-2021, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Iím not comfortable flying right now but Iím ok staying in a hotel so weíve done some short road trips. But this isnít about what anyone else feels comfortable with, itís about what *you* are ok with. Your friend has no business telling you when to travel.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

gradymidget

Old 09-03-2021, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Definitely not comfortable traveling right now. We did drive up to our family cottage in my state in July. We are all vaccinated but not taking any chances. When you mentioned Alaska my heart skipped a beat. My daughter is working in Alaska and I really wanted to visit her and see the beauty that Alaska offers. I feel bad we could not travel to visit but just not comfortable flying. It will be awhile before travel is on my radar. As a matter of fact, we only order take-out food and are still not eating in restaurants.
gradymidget is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 09-03-2021, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I did think of the PTer whose daughter moved to Alaska when my friend sent pictures! In time, you will get to visit her. It looks like a truly magnificent place.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 09-03-2021, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Yes, we've been traveling but we don't usually go to big crowd venues. We travel by car, eat out of a cooler, stay at decent motels and enjoy outside events or spaced events inside. I have arthritis issues that progressively get worse, so we really want to do what we can right now before I won't be able to travel.
Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 09-03-2021, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Nope. I'm not ready yet. Maybe when Delta settles down. If it does. Too peopley out there.

annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 09-03-2021, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Right now....NO... I am not comfortable. There are too many stubborn folks out there either unvaxxed or lying about it. I've been so careful for so long, I'm in no hurry to mess things up. Hospitals are overfilled and the doctors and nurses are exhausted.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 09-03-2021, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I did some traveling this summer. Tour group. Bus. I felt safe, but we all had to have proof of vaccination to travel, and we did not share bus seats or hotel rooms.

I wonít just go anywhere anytime or with just anyone.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 09-03-2021, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'd love to do some traveling again--but not now. We had plans to go to Southwest Virginia in another week, but we cancelled.

Next on out calendar is a trip to Colorado early next summer for a family wedding. I'm sure hoping that trip happens.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Traveling
Old 09-03-2021, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Right now, I am NOT comfortable traveling. I have an 89 year-old aunt, as well as a 98 year-old aunt across the country, but cannot see me risking the trip to see them, especially when it involves 4 airports and 3 plane changes. I do not want them to be at risk because of me.

Vaccination does not prevent one from getting Covid, but reduces the severity. I read somewhere... the vaccination will most likely keep you out of the hospital and more likely out of the ICU.

Because we are so far from specialized medical and dental care, I have had to travel in the last year. We do it by car and are very particular where we stay.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 09-04-2021, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We traveled to Minnesota to places that had low rates of infection and high rates of vaccinations. We only ate outdoors. Since we were at a music fest outside we could sit far away from folks. All in all we had a great time.

We were scheduled for a trip to Rock Port in Texas but canceled that trip since my friend said they had high rates of infection and very low rates of vaccinations. Many place were closed. We didn't want to drive through a state that was experiencing COVID and unmasked.
We'll be happy to see our friends when things settle down.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

We flew
Old 09-04-2021, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

in July and if the trip had been scheduled for September, I have a feeling we would have cancelled. Our airport was a nightmare as far as crowds - even by pre-Covid measures. Sure everyone was masked, but I found myself almost having to fight for personal space. Portland was the opposite - the airport was almost empty. We were in the wine county near McMinnville so we were outside much of the time and all the businesses we went to had precautions in place. Thank you Oregon!

We won't be flying anywhere until this settles down.
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Irish

Noooooo
Old 09-04-2021, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We are planning a trip to Connecticut from Maryland. My DH wants to go. We have family there. He wants to go to the Eastern States Expo. I do not want to go. Iím having stress already about going.

We are not going on a German river cruise we booked. I was thrilled weíre not going.

My area is loaded with tourists this weekend. I canít wait to see their rear
bumpers.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

This may sound crazy but. . .
Old 09-04-2021, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I haven't flown on a plane in 24 years ! We used to do more road trips . So no I don't see myself flying anytime soon.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

travel
Old 09-05-2021, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

We aren't flying anywhere yet. We did take a road trip for biking a few hours away and stayed at a Hampton. I felt pretty safe overall. We have postponed a special autumn trip to the Adirondacks for the second year in a row, maybe next year?
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 09-05-2021, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

We are at a jazz festival in central Wisconsin this weekend. We are usually either at the Chicago or Detroit jazz festivals but the Detroit one went back to virtual, and the Chicago one was reduced to a three hour thing so we found a smaller one to go to.

What music fest was in Minnesota? We usually go to the Twin Cities jazz festival as well but they also cancelled this year.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 09-05-2021, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

We were supposed to go on a two week independent trip to Ireland Sept.1.
(Iceland Air had a fabulous sale last February).
We cancelled- the thought of flying with the Delta variant did it.
grade2rocks is online now   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 09-06-2021, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

We have followed all the Covid rules for over a year.

We are RV travelers. We are vaccinated. We have been traveling this summer. We really donít come into contact with people unless we are outdoors. On the rare occasion we eat out, we choose outdoor dining. We wear masks when we get groceries or other supplies we need. Itís been a great summer.

I am not ready to go on a plane or even stay in a hotel yet.
Sam5 is online now   Reply With Quote

SeaGlass

We recently traveled
Old 09-13-2021, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

to Vermont from Maine by car. I would do it again or travel somewhere else by car. We ate at outside restaurants as much as possible and visited outside areas.
Our hotel(Hampton Inn) was very clean and I checked in on my phone and used my digital key so we didn't visit the front desk. We did eat breakfast each

morning there but took it to our room after selecting our items.

We did travel twice in the state of Maine this past year and felt very safe. We went to Presque Isle(northern Maine) in the Fall and again this Spring. We had a wonderful time and again the Hampton Inn up there was super clean and we used digital key and checked in using my phone. We visited outside areas and ate inside for our lunch and dinner. Everything was clean. Workers at the restaurants were masked and plexiglass was in front of the bar tenders area.

We felt very safe on all three adventures. We would not travel by air yet.

SeaGlass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tigercat

yes - we do
Old 09-13-2021, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Yes, we feel comfortable traveling. Last May, we flew to Puerto Rico and had a great time. We stayed at a condo. We are scheduled to fly to Mexico next week and stay at an all-inclusive resort. We have taken road trips to both Tennessee and Arkansas during Covid, also.

We are vaccinated now, but we weren't for the road trips. I know we are probably in the minority. I have friends that haven't flown and won't. I respect their decision, and they respect mine. I have a friend that just returned from an Alaskan cruise and loved it! We aren't really comfortable going on a cruise yet. (I know.. . . may not make sense to some as we are ok flying)

Bottom line - do what you feel comfortable and don't let anyone make you feel guilty either way.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote