Grits in a crock pot - ProTeacher Community

TeacherMeg

Grits in a crock pot
Old 12-10-2007, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For my class holiday party, someone suggested that I make grits and keep it in my crock pot to keep it warm until the party. But I am not exactly sure how to do this? Has anyone ever made grits and put it in a crock pot before? How did you do it?

Rubyslippers

Old 12-10-2007, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think they would get hard! If we have any leftover grits and allow them to sit around in the pot, they get hard as paste! Maybe someone here knows how to do it.

n2n2n2n

??????
Old 12-10-2007, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have no idea what "grits" are so I googled "grits in a crockpot". A lot of things came up. Here is one link

http://crockpot.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/484/0.shtml

I still have no idea what grits are or when you eat them but apparently you can cook them in the crockpot.

Alicia G

Old 12-10-2007, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Well, no answer here!

I just clicked on the link because I love grits and wanted to figure out even more ways to cook, eat, and otherwise use them.

I'd recommend you making grits right before you eat them. They don't really "keep."

If your students aren't grit-eaters, they may turn up their noses. I'd suggest that you make something like garlicky cheese grits (recipes abound on the internet, I'm sure -- basically you boil some grits, stir in butter, a few eggs, a bit of milk, and some garlic and pour in a pan and bake for an hour or so). That's something that WILL reheat or can be kept warm since it's a different consistency than grits from the pot. Plus, little yankees might find them a bit more palatable than true grits.

There's a great cookbook out there called "Gone with the Grits" (a take off on Gone with the Wind). You might want to consult that.

Hey, none of MY teachers ever cooked me grits! I'm jealous.

Last edited by Alicia G; 12-10-2007 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Brooke S.

had to read it
Old 12-10-2007, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had to read this post because being from the south, I love grits. I knew that there would be replies from people that had never heard of them before. Isn't it strange how we can all live in the same country and experience such different things.