Help

BusyBoard

Copy Paper

>

Lilbitkm

Copy Paper
Old 09-12-2021, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iím interested to know how copy paper works at everybodyís school.
Are you limited on how much copy paper you get? Or on the number of copies you can make each month?

We used to have copy paper on our school supply list as we only got a ream a month from the school but that was taken off years ago. We donít have any curriculum this year so have to make a ton of copies.

Two years are they upped it to two reams a month.
Now, we are only receiving a case for the year (so, 10 reams).
Weíll end up purchasing a lot out of pocket and asking parents to donate.

Interested to see how it works elsewhere.

Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 09-12-2021, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our secretary orders all the reams of paper - we have an unlimited amount of copies.

I am not even sure how much paper she orders, but it is stacked in a supply closet.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 09-12-2021, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We used to have to punch in a code to make copies, but we were never told that we had a limit. When they changed the machines the code was not necessary. We are not limited, although reams of copy paper is on the optional, nice if you can donate supply list so we do often get donations.
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

tiredgal

Old 09-12-2021, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

All staff members have a copy code in our district so they know how many copies each person makes. We have never been given an allowed number or a limit. I am not sure how many I make each month and no one ever says. In the twenty years I have been there I only remember one year when we ran out of paper in April and we were each given one ream to finish the year.
tiredgal is online now   Reply With Quote

raelyn

Copy Paper
Old 09-12-2021, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We do not have limits on copy paper or copies in my district. We don't have codes. We're just able to copy what we need. We are very fortunate. We can laminate without limits also.

raelyn is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 09-12-2021, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We have to type a code into the machine even though we have unlimited access to copies. I think the code is needed just to prevent students from using the machine since it is in a location accessible to them.

On a side note, our secretary in charge of ordering supplies told us that paper is nearly impossible to find this year and try to limit extra or unnecessary coping when possible. We usually have a truck load delivered in August and it lasts most of the year. Right now 4-6 cases of paper are delivered at a time and we must go to the office and get a ream when the machine runs out. She was told the shortages are due to Covid. I hope this works itself out because I truly feel for all of you who have limited copies.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 09-12-2021, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

No limits here. 18 years at my school and that has always been the case.

I would never purchase copy paper out of my own pocket. That is a basic necessity as a teacher. I find it utterly ridiculous that you might have to do that.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 09-12-2021, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When I started we had no limit. Then a certain teacher really went crazy copying ridiculous amounts of nonsense (think word searches, coloring papers, busy work packets, etc). Instead of speaking to this teacher my entire (small) school teaching staff was given the same punishment of 2 reams for the year

It was ridiculous. You could ask for some from the office but it was given with much sighing and being given the impression that you were asking for gold bricks. The veterans complained and after a few years (long after the original guilty teacher had left) we were no longer given a limit but instead a code to punch in to the machine.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 09-12-2021, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We used to have a punch code. Now we have Follow Me which is amazing. You print and scan your badge and it prints so admin can keep track of what your printing. My last district had it in the contract that we ďhad all the necessary materials and supplies to do our jobsĒ so no paper or copy limits. Every year one dumb a$$ P would try to limit it. That was the superintendents second biggest pet peeve when it came to grievances (first was class size after the 10 day count). . Itís no longer an issue.

My new district doesnít have a limit either.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-12-2021, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We also have the Follow Me thing. We technically have a limit, but I've never come close to using it. I think it's maybe $150 per semester and each copy costs .01 cents.

We also have a district print shop we can send things to. You have to plan ahead because they have about a 1 week turnaround time, but regular copies through them are free. So if it's something I know I need a ton of, like our handwriting paper, I send it through there. If you do "special" things like color copies, cardstock, binding, etc. your printing budget gets charged.

I hate kids staring at screens all day, but if I were told I was being charged for paper or getting a ridiculously tiny amount, you can bet I'd be doing everything via google classroom/Kami. I'm not paying out of pocket for copies.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 09-13-2021, 03:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
I would never purchase copy paper out of my own pocket. That is a basic necessity as a teacher. I find it utterly ridiculous that you might have to do that.
We complain every year and I also think it’s ridiculous especially since our curriculum is consumable and not reordered every year. We were asked about our workbooks this year and told “if you want your curriculum you can tell me which staff member to cut.” Otherwise known as: she didn’t budget for them.

But, we’ve been having to do this for years now

We have to put our personnel code in to use the machine but it isn’t tracked.

As far as using only computer based programs, we just went 1:1 last year. So, yes it’s an option but it’s honestly so much more work for us and our students must take the common assessments at the end of units and the state exam paper/pencil. They also aren’t allowed to take their laptops home.

We do have a copy center but nothing from TPT can be sent and they take 4-6 weeks on a slow time so we never use them.

Last edited by Lilbitkm; 09-13-2021 at 04:09 AM..
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 09-13-2021, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

If I were a parent I'd be raising h!ll about having to supply copy paper in addition to my tax dollars. My tax dollars should be covering basic necessities such as copy paper. I can't believe parents are willingly and quietly doing this when they complain about so many other things.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 09-13-2021, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I've seen various ways of doing it. Here our department orders the supply paper and distributes it so we have like a ream to use. I think we can order more if necessary but I haven't.
We do have one person in our department who uses huge amounts of paper. She's very old school and does stuff that I'm not sure is the best interest of the kids----I'm thinking teaching strategies that have gone out of fashion years ago so I'm sure a lot of her copies are busy work and worksheets.
We do have one-to-one computers and the need for paper has gone way down.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 09-13-2021, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

At my previous school each teacher had a cold and a limited number of copies per year. I think it was 3000, which sounds like a lot but isnít when you donít have any curriculum or textbooks or computers for your class to use. If you ran out of copies you could ask for more and the secretary could add some to your code, but you usually got a talking to about how much paper you were using. At my current school there is no code and no limits. The secretary orders paper as needed. My students have one to one chrome books so I donít do a lot of copying but I know that some teachers, like one of the French teachers, copies huge booklets for every student.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 09-13-2021, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We have 4000 copies a month. I requested more when I had cull classes and extra duties. I mostly used class sets of things. Now we are 1:1 Chromebooks, and the kids donít get much paper.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Paper
Old 09-14-2021, 03:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

There is no limit that I know of. I do know they did not order paper this year, because there was so much we didnít use last year. We were remote 75% of the year, and when we were in school, they strongly discouraged using paper in favor of Chromebooks.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca4

Paper
Old 09-14-2021, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We have an alloted amount of money each year to order things. I order however much paper I want. Each teacher station has its own copier, so we copy however much we want.
Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

paper
Old 09-14-2021, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

We do have to put a code in the machine, but are not limited.

We can each request a case of paper to start the year.

We all get $320 from the state for supplies.

We can put copy paper as an optional item on supply lists. Teachers usually ask for colored paper.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 09-14-2021, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

We get $10 per month. Each copy costs $0.005 per copy. We each have codes and the copier lets you know how much money you have.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Jasper904

No access to printer
Old 09-15-2021, 12:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Teachers cannot make copies themselves anymore thanks to the decision of one teacher. We were all punished which was unfair and it does impact us having our materials on time. They have assigned staff members to print copies for us but you must submit a request ticket.
That would be OK except they only make the copies two days a week. So that means if you donít submit your copy by Monday you wonít get it until the following week. This has caused us to not have assessments.
Jasper904 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Jasper904
Old 09-15-2021, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

That's crazy. Your students are being affected by that decision. Are you a public school? If so, do you have a union or at least some type of school council to appeal to?
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 09-17-2021, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

We were given 2 boxes of paper in a year. I always ended up buying more paper. We also had a ream of paper on our back to school list.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

No limit
Old 09-18-2021, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

No limit. No codes.
tgbwc is online now   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 09-18-2021, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

It depends on the school and principal in my district. My p will not limit paper. Itís funny because we donít abuse it and never have. Previous ones have given us limits. A friend is in another school and gets 2 packs a month. When ours was limited, I kept extra copies and crossed out the side with a pencil and reused the blank side to print. Iím not buying paper.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Smurfyteach

Waste
Old 09-22-2021, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

We have a limit and always have. We hate the limit and I believe it's unfairly harsh- especially when we have no text books!!!
We buy our own paper if we need to. Some of us copy a little at home.
At school, we each have a code to punch and when we run out (only 1500 copies and we have 28 kids in each class!!) the machine beeps and stops.... then that's it for two quarters of the year.
I have always thought reading on here about what is done for classrooms that USA teachers do wayyyy too many copies. Don't you ever think of the environmental impact (and trees!!!!) and how boring are worksheets for your students anyway! You must be drowning in paper.
Our Admin hates worksheets- obviously.
Smurfyteach is offline   Reply With Quote