Help

Special Education

Interesting meeting

>

GreyhoundGirl

Interesting meeting
Old 09-14-2021, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I'm eveasdropping in on an interesting meeting. Mom has a reputation for being difficult so the team is a little defensive. They're going through due process. Mom took the kid for outside academics, etc.

Here's what I think as an outside, unemotional, uninvolved 3rd party:

1) mom thinks the team thinks her son is stupid. Every other sentence was, "My son is smart." At NO part did ANYONE on the team say anything positive about the kid. At NO point did they say, "We agree, he is smart." Yikes.

2) Too much history. Lawyers, advocates, etc are all involved. I don't know how they can have a meeting with all of that background.

3) Everyone is defensive. The team is afraid to say anything wrong so it's affecting everything

4) I'm so glad I'm not on this team.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Parent
Old 09-14-2021, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yikes.

I was an aide for a kid who we could not say anything positive about because Mom would misconstrue a good note into the placement being appropriate and the kid was actually successful in that room/school.

Administration had to accompany her any time she was in the building because she mistook everything for a slight or violation of rights.

This was a kid who was incredibly violent, but parents were prominent in the community.

After I left it did go to due process and the kid ended up being “homeschooled.”
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-14-2021, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
I was an aide for a kid who we could not say anything positive about because Mom would misconstrue a good note into the placement being appropriate and the kid was actually successful in that room/school.
We are going through this exact scenario right now. There is a lot of backstory, but the current issue is that parents think any positive statement is evidence the child should be given "more chances" in the current placement, he's improving, he's not doing that badly, etc. It's at the point where people feel like they need to report every negative thing to parents, but then parents will shut down and say the school team is just being negative/doesn't like their child. The whole thing is a mess.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote