Civil War - ProTeacher Community

dcm

dcm

Civil War
Old 03-21-2006, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any fun ideas/activities to go along with the Civil War? Thanks!

SusanTeach

letters
Old 03-21-2006, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I posted this before, but I'll mention it again. It went over really well with my kids. I do several things, but the 2 favorites among the kids are when I make hard tack (the night before) so they can taste it. Some actually love it! The other (more educational) activity is making "antique paper" (dip computer paper in strong tea and let dry overnight). The kids write a letter like they're a civil war soldier (or the girls write like they're writing TO a civil war soldier). They have to have the correct date on it, appropriate letter writing skills, and some information in the body of the letter that lets me know they understand the civil war (where they're located, etc...). They did a wonderful job with them. They did a rough draft, then wrote the final copy on the antique paper. It makes a great bulletin board display (in fact, I entered it in the bulletin board contest!).
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

musicbug

I'm a Civil War buff..
Old 03-22-2006, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

and a reencator. I do 4 first person senarios for the kids and show both of hubby's uniforms and a Qand A segment.
Scholastic has an activity book with primary sources for you to share. An activity that I do( I don't think it's in the primary source book), is to have the kids pick 4-6 important Civil War era people and create a "baseball card" with a mini biography report on each. I also ask the kids to trace or hand draw the cards.
musicbug is offline   Reply With Quote

wilmart77

Civil War
Old 03-23-2006, 03:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Immediately the title PINK AND SAY came into my mind. This is a terrific picture book that can get any class into a discussion. It's by Patricia Polacco. You may have already read it, but this is what came to my mind.

MH
wilmart77 is offline   Reply With Quote
dcm

dcm

Old 03-24-2006, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for these great ideas everyone!! I appreciate it!

pteach55

Alphabet Book
Old 03-25-2006, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just read Pink and Say Friday, and the kids were really moved by the story. A teacher in another building in our district has the kids make an alphabet book and illustrate each letter. For instance, A is for Antietam and they draw a battle picture and write a sentence or two, or A is for Abe Lincoln, etc. She gave me a sample one from a former student, but of course it is at school. I've considered doing it this year, but the Civil War is not on our state standards other than the slavery issue, etc. We all know that the state standards are sacred!!! I really need to move on to immigration. Anyway, hope this helps. If you want, I can look more closely at the sample and get back to you.
pteach55 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher4

Love It
Old 03-26-2006, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes, a good book to read and discuss. I read it every year.
teacher4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sandi

Sandi

I like to use music of the period.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have several tapes by Civil War re-enactor string bands and also a book of lyrics from Civil War era songs. We look at how music was used to express feelings of the soldiers - sorrow, pride, patriotism, and humor on both sides.