Help

BusyBoard

Class Dojo Questions

>

all41

Class Dojo Questions
Old 10-27-2021, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know many of you use class dojo as a behavior management tool, but I am looking at it as a possible parent communication tool. I refuse to text parents with my personal cell phone. Some of our teachers have private Facebook groups but we can't access Facebook from our school computers so that option is out too, plus I don't use Facebook. I am looking at dojo and am hoping you all can answer some of my questions...
1) Would using only the messaging part of dojo cause confusion....would there be too many other parts of the app getting in the way for it to be effective and easy for parents?
2) If I post notice or reminder for all parents to see on a class page are parents able to respond to me on that page? Is that response private or will all parents see it?
3) Is there anything else out there that could be used for parent communication and is free? I want to be able to access it with my school computer, not my cell phone.
Thanks!

all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

gofish

Communication Only
Old 10-27-2021, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use it only for communication. I post on class story once a week at the beginning of the week with announcements. Parents can not respond on this page. They can like the page. You can send messages to the whole class or individual parents. They will respond only to you. I turned off the feature where parents can respond to each other. I haven't had any confusion about the points or other features. I let parents know that I do not use the points feature. I've used it this way for over 5 years now.
gofish is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 10-27-2021, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for answering my questions. Your response was very helpful!

knit1purl2

Dojo benefit: You can schedule messages.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use it only for communication. When you send a message, you can see when the parents have viewed the message. ( or someone logged in as the parent) You can post on story where kids and parents can see it. You can have the comments available for story posts, but everyone can see those comments. I have that turned off. I usually post everything in messages. You can do a group message, but parents will only be able to respond to you. They donít know else who is receiving the message. I also like the fact that you set quiet hours. Parents get a message that you may not be able to respond until the next school day. I too use my school computer and not my phone for Dojo. It will translate messages too parents can have theirs set for their home language and it will translate for them. They can respond in their home language and the. I see it in my language. Works great if everyone has the settings set correctly.
knit1purl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 10-28-2021, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the information. You are answering the questions I had. I am glad to hear there is a way to turn off parent responses to story posts. I don't want this to turn into a group message or chat. I want a way to get information out to families quickly and easily. I also am drawn to the quiet hours message.

Violets2

Old 10-28-2021, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use it also and love that I can post to the Class Story for a whole class message from me or even repost something from admin they want parents to know.

I also love, love the schedule a message feature for posts.

I also like that it has a translation feature for those parents that need it.

I post to just 2-3 families the same message but none of them know others are getting it nor see if another replies.

I don't use it at all for behavior management.

I do access it from my phone also but parents don't know that. Majority of the time, I'm on my computer.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

orchid64

Remind
Old 10-28-2021, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our district will not let us use the parent contact part of dojo. We use Remind and I like it better. I can call and text without giving my number.
orchid64 is offline   Reply With Quote