Help

Substitute Teachers

Jobs availableómore, less, same?

>

CC96

Jobs availableómore, less, same?
Old 11-06-2021, 08:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iím curious, are you guys finding that thereís more jobs available, less jobs available, or the same amount of jobs available as pre-pandemic? In my districts it seems like thereís less because the schools are really hunkering down and not sending teachers to in-services as much and they hired a lot more subs and raised the pay in one of my districts a little bit, so there seems to be fewer jobs available. What are you guys seeing in your districts?

CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 11-07-2021, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm seeing plenty of jobs. I was surprised by how many there were at the beginning of the school year. Teachers are telling me that it's harder to get a sub and they are seeing a lot more new faces. I've had requests for some of those in-services for next year. My pay has gone up in both districts which tells me something is going on but I don't know what. Maybe a lot of prior subs don't want to be in the classroom anymore?
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Bodhimom2

Old 11-08-2021, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used to work one or 2 days a week. Now I work 3 or 4, sometimes 5 days a week.
Bodhimom2 is offline   Reply With Quote

BayAreaSub

Very busy here.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I get offered multiple jobs every day.
BayAreaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

I guessÖ
Old 11-09-2021, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Well I know I have over the years limited myself down to two districts having basically six schools total. I have several teachers who request me, but typically I only take jobs in advance and not same day, but even then Iíve noticed that when I go in and sign in at a school there just donít seem to be that many subs on campus that day. So I guess my two districts are an anomaly for now. Hopefully, it will pick back up. Prior to the pandemic I worked five days a week, and now as I am older and also collecting Social Security Iím only looking to work 2 to 3 days a week. I am glad all of you are having lots of job opportunities.

CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Old 11-10-2021, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am subbing at one school in my district and I am plenty busy. Last week was 4 days next week is 3 days but this week is only one. After Thanksgiving is a 5 day week. There are far more subs now because they increased the pay by $125 more per day. They are still advertising subs by placing it on district website wallpaper.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 11-10-2021, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Please Luvtolearn, if they increased your pay BY $125, do you mind telling us what your current pay is? That's huge! And great for you!

Aillya

Old 11-10-2021, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It's more here in norcal. I'm seeing lots of new faces. Been in a long term situation since August, so I haven't exactly had to look for jobs every day, but my email gets bombarded with staff requesting coverage every damn day, so I figure it's gotta be bad right now. They raised the daily pay too. I saw a few new faces that first week. A lot of teachers are at the end of their rope this year though. Behavioral problems are kinda crazy and kids are acting foolish as hell. So many teachers are just done with it, so they take mental health days like crazy if they can, and that's to say nothing of the sick leave teachers take when one of their students gets them sick with the virus that's still a thing no matter how hard people will pretend it isn't.

If you google Seattle Public School right now, you'll find an article published today, November 10th, about how so many of their teachers took off work Friday that they had to shut the schools down because they couldn't find coverage. If you're having a hard time finding work, check other districts. It's burning down where I'm at, and that seems to be the trend all over the country.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 11-10-2021, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We are short subs and its not getting any better, even with a pay raise. Classes are left uncovered everyday and the teachers who have to double up are at their wits end. I was at a school yesterday, and got a text from the other side of campus asking if I could cover a class because the teacher was overwhelmed with the idea of 50 plus students in her classroom. We have gotten a raise bt it isn't making too much of a difference.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

high cost of living in state
Old 11-11-2021, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Before the daily wage increase our district was only paying $105 per day and we were the lowest of 3 counties I was told. With the increase of gas prices , Covid requirements, and horrific road (freeway) construction issues it really was a no brainer.

Bodhimom2

Old 11-12-2021, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

They had us in the cafeteria with sometimes 4 classes. Subs quit coming in and they changed it back, so it's better but it was a mess for awhile. Raise doesn't really help.

Aillya

Old 11-12-2021, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The raise was one of the first major improvements to our salary in over a decade too. Where I live at least, they rarely change the rates. And before the raise, the salary was a joke, couldn't even afford a studio apartment on it, much less a car payment, utilities, etc.

This raise feels like getting a 5 dollar an hour boost after your salary's been frozen for 20 years. And the cherry on top: they're saying it might not even be permanent here. So it doesn't shock me that the raise isn't drawing in hundreds of people to work in a petri dish dealing with 180 disrespectful kids every day.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

Bodhimom2

Old 11-12-2021, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Yea, and the raise in my district wasn't that much, anyway.

Sublime

Old 11-12-2021, 10:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

When I reread one of my 2 district's emails regarding our raise I noticed it said, "...the pay increase will remain in effect until the end of the 2021/22 school year." I didn't notice that the first time. I'll be curious to see if they take it away next school year. The other district's email simply stated our pay was going up.

I don't think anyone can live on a sub's pay even if they work all 180 days.

luv2teach2017

Old 11-13-2021, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

There's supposedly a shortage in my district, but I'm not seeing much difference as far as available jobs are concerned. I think it's because their practices have changed to reduce the need for subs.

The schools aren't having teacher trainings this semester, and they are also routinely dividing the students and sending them to other teachers' classes when teachers are absent (a practice the teachers really object to...for good reason). I've noticed the teachers I encounter are stressed and unhappy much of the time. There was a long-term kinder sub job that nobody would take, but I'm guessing it's because it is during the upcoming holiday period. (I finally agreed to take the class for a month.)

The district has not offered a pay raise as an incentive, but they are now paying a full day's pay for half day assignments (that helps...previously, few subs would take half days). I'm sure if they offered a decent pay raise, they'd attract a lot more people to sub.

As it is, subbing is harder than ever due to having to wear masks all day and monitor students to ensure they wear masks, sanitize, etc. (I sub primary grades, and little kids frequently pull off, tear, lose their masks.) As others have mentioned, the students in general are also much wilder and less socialized since returning full-time. It's challenging and exhausting trying to tame down the behavior.

Another thing... I've experienced many more last-minute absence cancellations due to covid quarantine/testing requirements and teachers being cleared to return sooner than expected. It's been really frustrating having jobs yanked just as I've dressed for work and am about to head out the door! (It's made me seriously rethink how much more I can take!)

All that and add the constant exposure to unvaccinated children...is it any wonder there's a lack of subs? I'm fully vaccinated, but even so, I'm not comfortable with the situation.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 11-13-2021 at 08:57 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

temporary
Old 11-27-2021, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Yes in fact the elevated increase is very temporary. They will reevaluate between Jan.-Mar. I doubt they will change because they STILL have shortages due to severe roadwork conditions.