Help

New Teachers

Classroom disrespect in 2nd

>

kinderlady7

Classroom disrespect in 2nd
Old 11-08-2021, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all. I am dealing with some disrespectful behaviors in the classroom. I am currently out of ideas, and would love to see what you guys have.

I'll start with a description of the behavior. I teach second grade, 22 students. I have a student with ODD who has been having some difficulties lately. This afternoon was the culmination. I was reading a story and he started yelling out (making a whooping sound). Usually my students will ignore it, but today no way. Another student started doing it, then another, making the whole class laugh. This happened like 5 or 6 times, before I sent the two main offenders to sit in opposing corners of the room, which is not something I typically resort to. Honestly, I felt embarrassed and like even my well behaved students were thinking I had no control of the class. Throughout the rest of the story (my students are usually quite great at being read to) various students were off task and not following directions. One student continued to pull out papers to draw on after 2 warnings and me taking his materials! I was flabbergasted.

I have spoken with the students grownups as needed this afternoon due to this behavior. I pulled the offending student aside and we had a (not so nice) conversation that ended in tears. I plan to readdress this again tomorrow morning by reminding the students what they told me about how they will be respectful today (I had them think of a way before dismissal today).

I had my principal and instructional coach come in to observe my class and give feedback and the feedback was mostly positive. I feel like I am slowly but surely losing control of my students. I have been working so hard to keep up my relationships with my students and model being respectful, only being tough when needed and addressing issues privately, allowing them to feel their feelings and listening to them and being fair and understanding. A mentor of mine told me that many of my students will not respond well to kindness and expect the mean and scary due to their home life, but that just isn't me. I can be tough and give consequences for behavior all day long, but yelling to scare children into respecting me is soooooo not my style. I keep reading online to model your expectations for the students and I do pretty much weekly. Before I have them do something, I show them what to do, a few students practice it and I verbally say my expectations (we have been reviewing the same ones since November). Before I started to read today, I reminded them what it was like to be a good listener and that is what I got.

I'm out of ideas!!!! Help please! Thanks in advance!!!

kinderlady7 is offline   Reply With Quote