Don't want to be a classroom teacher but enjoy creating activities and materials... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Career Decisions

Don't want to be a classroom teacher but enjoy creating activities and materials...

>

PopQueen1213

Don't want to be a classroom teacher but enjoy creating activities and materials...
Old 11-17-2021, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, I am a student teacher in elementary (got the degree and am doing student teaching) and I don't want to be a classroom teacher. I don't like to deal with the public/children/behavior and I realized that too late. I am not cut out to work with kids.

I know most people will tell me to stick it out but I don't think it's worth it and that is not the advice I am looking for. I will probably just get my credential as I am so close but I think I would rather do something making instructional materials (I love creating materials, worksheets, lesson aids, virtual activities, etc). I guess I like to make learning fun but don't like to do the actual teaching and behavior management piece of teaching. I am passionate about education and making learning engaging. Teaching is a million things at once. I don't like to counsel sociopathic kids who have no discipline and are enabled/babied for their atrocious behavior. It is overstimulating for me. I hate stopping every 5 seconds to tell someone to stop talking when I am teaching. I would rather be the one that only creates the fun assignments lol.

Does anyone know any way that I can make the transition into instructional designing/curriculum designing/some job related to that? I only have a background in teaching and some retail jobs. Am I valid for feeling this way?

And no please don't suggest I try another grade level because I don't want to work with kids of any age. I would rather work for a company or organization.

PopQueen1213 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-17-2021, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Honestly, I think that the problem with a lot of instructional materials already is that people putting them together have never taught in a classroom. I think putting good materials and curriculum together requires extensive experience working with students in a classroom setting.

May not be the qualifications for getting a job in the area, but it should be if not. I truly don't know.

You can always make and sell things on TPT or look with curriculum designers for qualification reqs. Good luck. I am glad that you have decided not to go on and work in a classroom even though you know you won't like it.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote