ARCHIVE

Inclusive classrooms? A vent

>

reallycuriou

reallycuriou

Inclusive classrooms? A vent
Old 12-13-2007, 01:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a new 6th grade teacher. In my SS class, I have 4 special needs kids who get in class support and sometimes get pulled out.

One of the kids has a number of disabilities. He doesn't read, he has ADHD, and some other issues. He has a full time aide and his work is modified down to a K-2 level, so he's getting an 85 average.

Our team met with his mom yesterday, who wants to hear how he's doing. Well, he stares out the window, doesn't want to work, can't read, and you can't call on him because that would only embarrass him. But she wants to hear how well he's doing!!

The child study team had wanted to put him into another district that could better serve his needs - or at least put him into a resource room situation, but his mom wanted him to get the social benefits of school.

I find it frustrating that I'm supposed to cater to his needs as well as the other 19 kids in my class...who need a lot of attention even though they're not classified. They're just needy kids.

How can I include this kid if he doesn't want to work? Oh, BTW, I'm NON TENURED so I have to be very very tactful.....

Thanks for listening.

Mrs. T.

Be thankful
Old 12-13-2007, 02:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had a simular situation only with severe behavior tacked on and NO AIDE.
Mrs. T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sympathetic

Sympathetic

Old 12-14-2007, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm not trying to be critical, but put yourself in that parent's place. They
want what's best for their child, just as if he were not disabled. My feeling is, anybody can teach the "normal" kids. It takes a real teacher to reach those who are hard to teach.

chronicfun

I hear you
Old 12-14-2007, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've been in situations like this in the past. As far as putting myself in the parent's place as a pp stated, I would want my child to be in an appropriate setting that met his needs. It sounds like this is not the case, as he is at a K-2 level. I would tactfully tell her the truth, just like you stated. Also let her know how you really want what is best for her child, but wonder if it really is best for him to be in a room where he cannot be successful. If mom wants social benefits, it doesn't sound as if he's getting them....he doesn't want to work, can't read and is embarrassed to be called on. I feel for you and the child! It sounds like mom has her head in the sand. This child needs an appropriate education in a setting where he can be successful! Just know you are not alone and a lot of us understand where you are coming from! Hang in there!!!
chronicfun is offline   Reply With Quote

kinderteachnc

I get it
Old 12-14-2007, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I disagree with pp about their opinion of a real teacher. There is no such thing as a classroom full of "normal" kids for starters. When you have a child that clearly does not need to be in a regular classroom you are not doing that child any favors and they are not being treated fairly, by the parents. Putting a child with disabilities does not make the other kids want to be with them. I have seen where children will pull away from children who are to hyper, aggressive, or have nothing in common with them because of a difference in their mental age. A child should be taught in an environment that is best for them, not best for what mom or dad want them to be. A parent should want what is best for their child to learn to be all that they can be. The child with the disabilities can suffer a lot of sadness and rejection by not being with children that are like him. The origional poster had to be tactful but honest with the mother. It's real hard but it's really only a fair way to be. This area is truly one of the hardest parts of teaching for me.

kinderteachnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Janylynne

Similar situation
Old 12-14-2007, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My class is the same. Four of my 6th graders read at a first grade level. The class is very low functioning as a whole. They chat too much, bug each other, and don't get much done. I work on implementing routines as much possible. I also modify, modify, modify! I do fairly simple lessons with a lot of drawing, gluing and cutting. It's just the way it has to be this year. You can only do your best. Remember, you won't be this student's only teacher. At least he has an aide. I'm concerned about this emphasis on inclusion for students who really need alternate placement. I think they just get overwhelmed, can't succeed too well, and get discouraged--as can we! Just keep on trying but be sure to take care of yourself too and give yourself a break! Good luck.
Janylynne is offline   Reply With Quote