Schools to teach how to interact with law enforcement? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teacher News & Opinion

Schools to teach how to interact with law enforcement?

>

Tori58

Schools to teach how to interact with law enforcement?
Old 01-10-2022, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

That's what a Wisconsin state legislature wants to see. Because Wisconsin schools don't already teach an absurd amount of legislated non-academic curriculum. And because it makes so much more sense to educate teens in how to avoid getting killed by police officers rather than to improve the training police officers get in how to avoid killing civilians unnecessarily. And because the fact that POC routinely have "the talk" with their children doesn't always prevent them from being killed.

https://fox11online.com/news/educati...aw-enforcement

Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 01-10-2022, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just no. I cannot begin to picture myself, a white female non police officer, trying to teach kids whatever propaganda this guy is trying to push down the pipe. The video in the link showed the Kenosha police shooting. Murphy’s response to it was, “That was a case of the person not following directions.” So the consequences for not following directions is to be shot and killed, I guess?

Young people need to be able to trust law enforcement officers. Therefore, law enforcement officers need to behave in ways worthy of young people’s trust. Where’s the training for the cops in how to interact with the people whom they have sworn to serve?
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 01-10-2022, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Not too sure I would be willing to teach that cr@p. Sometimes these politicians refuse to use common sense. This won't solve the problems between law enforcement and citizens. Trust & respect need to be taught on both sides. There needs to be a process of weeding out those law enforcement officers who are not mentally able to handle all types of humans.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 01-11-2022, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
Where’s the training for the cops in how to interact with the people whom they have sworn to serve?
Exactly my question. And I agree that the average classroom teacher is probably not even qualified to teach this. It might be handled by school liason officers or other law enforcement officials but how will they have time if we have such a dire shortage? And, I was just recently told that I must wear my school ID at all times so that I won't get shot if police officers have to respond to a school intruder situation. I can't say that increased my level of trust.

Not only that, but the time will have to come from somewhere and Wisconsin already gives over a lot of instructional time to dealing with social issues.

I wish our Republican lawmakers were as concerned about the teacher shortage.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote