Need suggestions for improving the printing in a grade 1 child - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Need suggestions for improving the printing in a grade 1 child

>

Henrietta

Need suggestions for improving the printing in a grade 1 child
Old 01-14-2022, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, I am retired now, but have been providing my daughter some relief during the extended school closure. My little grade one granddaughter has been told her printing needs improvement in order to remain in her private school. IMO her printing is fine, but after spending a few weeks working on it with her, I am running out of ideas that might be more engaging than doing the ridiculous printing practice this teacher wants. I accept that good penmanship can be important, but give these little people some time! I would be so grateful if any of you could share a few ideas that my old brain has not come up with that may be a fresh approach (for grandma and my granddaughter).

Henrietta is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Old 01-14-2022, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
My little grade one granddaughter has been told her printing needs improvement in order to remain in her private school.

In my opinion, a school that determines a studentsí continued enrollment or academic achievement solely on penmanship is ridiculous.

As a former Kindergarten teacher (21yrs) this infuriates me, because this is too much pressure on a child.

A 1st grade studentís fine motor skills & penmanship is still developing. It is developmentally appropriate for their handwriting to not be perfect.

I digress.

To answer your question
1. Practice on lined paper
2. Practice with shaving cream on a table
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote

Henrietta

Old 01-16-2022, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks Dr A,
I concur with you and I'm appalled that any school is still putting such importance on printing at such a young age. I think we will be doing some tours of open of new schools as soon as we can. I appreciate you responding!

mommy9298

Old 01-16-2022, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with Dr A. Printing is only a small part of learning in first grade. You can put dotted lines of letters and words to have her trace them. You can focus on three letters a day to print. She will get better and tell her sheís doing wonderful! I teach first grade and there is a lot more to worry about. The kids do improve in printing by the end of the year.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Handwriting
Old 01-16-2022, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach first grade, and I want them to be an,e to read their own writing and for me to be able to read it.

Finger spaces between words makes it easier to read. If itís fine motor issues, I give them short pencils so they have better control. They make short pencils with erasers.

Otherwise, strengthening their finger muscles is what I think is needed. Working with clay, squeezing things, cutting out pictures, using legos for dexterity, etc.

Iím glad you are looking at other schools. Iíve never heard of handwriting being a criteria for staying in a school. There must be more to it than that!

Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Fine Motor
Old 01-16-2022, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Otherwise, strengthening their finger muscles is what I think is needed. Working with clay, squeezing things, cutting out pictures, using legos for dexterity, etc.
I was going to suggest this. Iíve gone on Pinterest and followed several really great OTs with fine motor / handwriting activities, games, tips/tricks, etc.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Henrietta

Old 01-16-2022, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Great suggestions! Thanks everyone!

lead teacher

Old 01-17-2022, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

as a former first grade teacher, I would recommend using a chunky or fat pencil....helps with fine motor skills
lead teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-18-2022, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Have you worked on just the formation without lines? Make sure she is actually forming the letters correctly. When that is solid then add lines. It's helpful to be able to focus on one thing at a time.

Is her grip okay? If not, try golf pencils or little stubs of crayons/pencils. Pencils and chalk give better feedback than markers.

I agree with you about finding a new school. That's over the top!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

Old 01-23-2022, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Don't forget about hand strength and pincher grip as well. At that age, many students don't have the muscles to do extended writing.

Do fine motor activities with her, have her crawl around and play on the floor, maybe work with playdoh, theraputty, slime, etc. Make it like a game or craft rather than "work." Do lacing things--lacing shoes/boots, yarn with a plastic needle through crafting webbing, sewing if she is nimble enough...

When she does write, have her write for fun... let her make your grocery list (esp for her fav foods.) Or lists of other things-favorite animals, songs, etc. Have her copy a short silly poem. Use the shaving cream idea by the PP, make a sand tray, do it in the air, etc. Use chalk on a small chalkboard (and the reverse-when the chalkboard gets dusty, give her a Q-tip and a little water.)

When she is practicing, have her use special paper. You can buy Readispaces

Or, if you have a printer, you can print your own here: https://do2learn.com/activities/writ...aper_large.pdf

Here are the other papers offered: https://do2learn.com/activities/writingtools/index.htm

As you can see, Do2learn has several types, styles, and sizes.

I would just keep it fun for now--it could be physical or developmental at this point.

whatever is offline   Reply With Quote