Help

Sunflower Room

January Plans?

>

lzaff

January Plans?
Old 12-14-2007, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am thinking ahead and wondering if anyone has typed up January plans for Reader's Workshop. I would love any help I can get!

msharkey

I'm sorry, not sure I can actually help
Old 12-15-2007, 05:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I haven't been able to get my hands on The Growing Readers book - extensive backorder in 2 places and haven't had time to go out and look around (2 very busy twins who just started Kindergarten - busy year for me).

What I would love to do in January (for me, I think) is to try to collaborate RW and WW by exploring features of Non Fiction - starting with How To books. In January WW, our district is requiring us to do How To Books and I believe, from there, they want the kids to produce an "All About Book".

I guess this would be a genre study, no? I've done "explorations" of genres but I'm not familiar with what the author defines as "studies" and I'm new to Reading Workshop (started in Sept). I brought aboard my entire team - 3 other teachers - who are now looking to me to help for January. YIKES!!

So, I need some advice as well.

What are you planning for January/February?

Thinking ahead - I'd like to do an author and or character study, a questioning unit, and an inference unit for March, April, May, and June.

Does any of this sound right? I feel very out of the loop because I am brand new to this and I don't have the book to guide me. I feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants, as my grandma would say.

Shark

jerzgirl

Old 12-15-2007, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think your ideas sound great. I plan on doing non-fiction also. I am tying it in with questioning for the comprehension strategy. I think non-fiction lends itself to teaching the children to ask questions. We will also write some non-fiction books on topics that the children choose. Not sure of the format yet though. I LOVE when the reading and writing workshops mesh!

KAS112

Another option/source
Old 12-15-2007, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Have you looked at this site? It's not what many of us have used (ala Teacherdani ) but they do have some great stuff. We have been using the plans from here posted this summer and some off of this site. http://curriculum.dpsk12.org/index.htm#lit_pg

teacherdani21

Old 12-15-2007, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm sorry. I wish I could be more of a help to you all. I now wish that I would've made more long term plans, because I am relying on my OWN plans so much, that it is going to be hard to decide where to go once I get through all of my "pre-made" plans. I feel just as lost as you guys. I am thinking about going into inferencing in mid January after we get done with schema and connections. In February I will move more towards a non-fiction unit for both reading and writing. I am thinking that within my non-fiction unit, we will be working on questioning. After the non-fiction unit we will move into poetry (mental images) and then go into synthesizing. This should keep us busy through May, but I guess I will have to see. I know this probably doesn't make any sense, but I guess I was just thinking as I was writing this post. I am curious to see where others are headed and if they have any plans made.

KAS112

Glad to know I'm not the only one!
Old 12-16-2007, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling a bit lost as to where to go next. There are so many things to cover, that it's really more an issue on which to do, not to mention we'll be going almost right to report card time when we get back. Hopefully over break I will have some mental health time where I can work on this. I plan on putting off our non-ficition a bit, I'll introduce more books so they can explore, but I don't want to jump into too much because it will not get all the attention it should due to testing. I think I might do a big review of things we have learned and work on some responses using these.

liketeaching1

January plans
Old 12-16-2007, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We are finishing up connections. After the break I want to spend a week or two on author's purpose/important part of the book. Then I want to move to mental images. Around middle February I plan to move to inferences and questionning--these are my favorites.

By the way, one thing that helps me is to go back and read the blog Once Upon a Reader's Workshop. Her blog contains a timeline of the skills and strategies that BookMuncher incorporated (Debbie Miller Reading With Meaning and Collins--Growing Readers)

Thanks Dani, for sharing your plans through December--I used them a great deal!

cathybev

plans
Old 12-16-2007, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm thinking along the same lines as teacherdani for Jan. - May. I'm still just starting schema and connections, so I'm probably behind you guys. I'm going to look at my books and try to make plans over Xmas vacation.

msharkey

Thanks everyone
Old 12-16-2007, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

for sharing. Glad to hear I'm not totally off target.

And thanks KAS112 for sharing the website - it's wonderful!

Shark

nicbeauty

Finishing questioning
Old 12-16-2007, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hi! everyone i am finishing questioning, i will begin inferring once we get back from christmas break, and we are starting all about books (non-fiction) writing in writer's workshop.

Curious Cat

Question Plans?
Old 12-17-2007, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Do you have plans to share? I am finishing nonfiction soon. We needed to do informational writing so I did nonfiction at the same time. Rushed through mental images and will spend more time when we return in Jan. Here are some nonfiction plans. They took A LOT of my Reader's Workshop mini-lesson time. You may want to trim them down a bit!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Determining Importance in NonFiction.doc (51.5 KB, 467 views)

TerryT

Thanks Curious Cat!
Old 12-17-2007, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have been leaning towards doing non-fiction in January and this would help out a lot!
I love Proteacher!!

SFiorini

thanks
Old 12-17-2007, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thanks curious cat for sharing. I just had my evaluation done and I did plan on using our schema with nonfiction text. Here's some of my plan from that evaluation.

File Folder Schema Lesson Plan

A. Model – Whole Class
1. Explain to the students that our brain is like a file cabinet. We have lots of information about different topics filed away in our brains. Show them the teacher’s file cabinet and files as a comparison. The information in your brain files is your schema or background knowledge about a topic. Everyone’s schema for a topic is different, depending on your experiences and what you have read about a topic. Give some examples. Explain that as we read our schema changes. Some of our ideas are confirmed, and some are proven wrong. The ideas that we had that we find out are not true need to be thrown out. We add new schema to our mental files when we read new information about a topic.

2. Attach a file folder to chart paper. Pose a question to the students and write this question on a strip of paper, attaching it to the file folder with paper clips. Ask the children for their schema on this topic Panda Bears. Record each response on a large note card and put it inside the file folder. Accept all responses.

3. Read a nonfiction book or parts of a nonfiction book that answers the question “What do we know about Panda Bears?”. After reading, reexamine the schema note cards and discuss which ones need to be thrown out. Take those cards out of the file and put an X through them. Discuss which schema were confirmed in the reading and put that back in the file and putting a star on it. Put new facts that were learned on new cards, and put them into the file.

4. Follow up – Discuss how our schema changed when we read the book. Talk about how good readers are constantly changing their schema as they read.

B. Guided Reading Groups ( I will meet with 2 or 3 reading groups during this time) the other groups will be working on this independently.

1. Give each group a file folder with a question on the front. (I am giving each of the 4-6 members of a mixed reading group a copy of the same Gail Gibbons nonfiction book so that we can have a common text to work with and the students can support each other in their work with schema.) Inside the file folder, I have glued a business envelope to hold strips of paper which contain a student’s schema for a topic. Provide a library card pocket in on the back for a wastebasket in which the student can “trash” schema that has been proven wrong. Trashed schema are kept in the “wastebasket” so that the students can reexamine how their schema changed, and so the teacher can evaluate the students’ processing of the activity.

SFiorini

features of nonfiction
Old 12-17-2007, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Also, I have the features of nonfiction. We talk about each of the features, write a defintion and students cut out examples of each feature from Scholastic News or Time for Kids whatever you have. Just make a copy of the third page for each feature.

I have gotten so many ideas from this group. I hope this helps somebody else.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Non fiction Features.doc (53.5 KB, 382 views)

Last edited by SFiorini; 12-17-2007 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: mistake

2nd grade rocks

Thank you!
Old 12-18-2007, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Thanks for sharing. I really likes this.

Jamaica

Curious Cat
Old 12-18-2007, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Does your district require lesson plans to be written in great

detail?? I'm referring to your posted shared plans. I just do an outline in a plan book using our state standards as a guide.

Thanks

Curious Cat

Jamaica
Old 12-19-2007, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

No, we are not required to write plans is such detail. I write them like that to share with my team and others. Hope they help someone.

Aubie

Great!
Old 12-28-2007, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I was going to do non-fiction writing for a change of pace in W/W and questioning for R/W . . . I hadn't thought about the two together! Thanks!

Have you already introduced any of the questioning strategy?

cnewman

Thank you!
Old 01-01-2008, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

It is January 1st and tomorrow I am going back to work. The break has been so nice and relaxing that I have to admit I was lacking the motivation. All of your posts have been SO helpful and I am now actually looking forward to getting back in to the swing of things!

If anyone has any plans written for this month please share! I would love to see where everyone is heading! Any ideas I get I will def. post!

liketeaching1

Inferences
Old 01-01-2008, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I have been searching for ideas to incorporate with my inferences unit. I got some great information from this:

http://blogs.proteacher.net/discussi...ad.php?t=31615

It is not in detail like teacherdani and MissAnderson had ---but it gives a great guideline.

KAS112

Non-fiction convention notebook
Old 01-01-2008, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I was wondering if any of you had done, or planned to do the non-fiction convention notebook that Debbie Miller talks about in her book? Another teacher on my team and I had discussed trying it this year and I was curious if anyone had ever implemented it before and how it worked out.

Lisa P

My Four Week Plan On Mental Images
Old 01-07-2008, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I hope this comes through ok. I just finished writing my unit on Mental Images and thought I'd share. I took my information mainly from Reading with Meaning and Growing Readers. Some from Strategies that Work and Comprehension Connections.

I love the ideas I've gotten for inferring and non-fiction. I'm looking for help with lesson ideas for questioning and synthesizing if anyone is willing to post their plans! You guys are the greatest!!

Lisa
Attached Files
File Type: doc January BWD Unit on Mental Images.doc (99.0 KB, 205 views)

donna

Old 01-08-2008, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Lisa,
Thanks a lot for posting the great plans. I'm not on mental images yet, but this will really make it a lot easier once I get there.

Wendy1

Old 01-13-2008, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Lisa P.
Thanks so much for your lessons on visualizing. I love the idea of using a tube to I spy!! Do you have lessons for inferencing? I just read the blogs but still need help.

teacher&mom

Inferencing Plans
Old 01-24-2008, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I was going to post my inferencing plans but I guess do not have the ability to attach files yet. When I can, I will post them. They are written for my team and for 2nd graders using Reading with Meaning and Growing Readers, proteacher ideas and readinglady.com

Mrs.Baird

Old 02-10-2008, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

it was so great to get on here and find that others are doing exactly the lessons i was planning right now. i too am working on a nonfiction unit for writers and readers workshop. i think i'm incorporating questioning, nonfiction elements, very important points, etc with readers workshop. i like the schema file idea as well, so i may begin with that to link this unit to their schema. for writers wkshop we are doing all about books, and a huge nonfiction animal project.

does anyone have the lesson plans for all about books? we have curriculum (english curriculum) but i'm teaching that a couple of days and then doing our writers workshop the other days to get that in too.