Help

ARCHIVE

consequences for no homework?

>

Kat's Mom

consequences for no homework?
Old 12-15-2007, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What is your policy for a student who does not turn in homework? I have always taken all of recess away, and the students knows and expects it. It has been a good deterrent for me in the past, and the student has all of recess to complete the work, but even if finished, does not play that day. Do you think it's too harsh?

Kat's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Responsibility vs. Privilege
Old 12-15-2007, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do not think your "no recess" policy is too harsh. Homework is a responsibility and recess is a privilege. Responsibilities come first...privileges follow.

However, for many students this is not the policy at home... garbage, clean bedroom, clothes folded...so it does seem harsh to them. I even have parents who think this is too harsh, and I calmly explain this is my policy, and they can have their own policy at home!!!
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

tbell0407

No Homework
Old 12-15-2007, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

[COLOR="Purple"]I take away recess for not turning in homework. Sure some parents think it's harsh but I disagree. I send a packet home on Monday that isn't due until Friday. I am already accomodating the busy lifestyles of my students by doing this. I don't think it's too much to ask that homework is turned in once a week. I've also made it clear to students and parents that if you struggled with the homework last night you need to tell me the very next day so I can help you, not skip it and tell me that on Friday.

I have one student that never turns in homework. She always says she did it and forgot to bring it in. Her mom makes up lots of excuses for her child. My new policy with the child has worked beautifully. I keep an extra homework packet at school for her. Instead of recess, she has to sit and do her homework for the night. It was harsh but mom and student got the point after a week. Problem solved!
tbell0407 is offline   Reply With Quote

rmckenna

pizza party...
Old 12-15-2007, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The third grade team decided that we would not discipline the students that did not turn in homework, but rather reward the students that did turn in homework. Every month we look at our homework charts (we keep track of who turned in), and if the students have turned in 80% of the homework, we throw a pizza party. It's a pretty good motivator to get other student to complete their homework.
rmckenna is offline   Reply With Quote

shapnic

Old 12-15-2007, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We are not allowd to take away recess because of the child obesity thing. We are also not allowd to keep students after school for detention. I reward studnets with stickers on a chart and when the chart is filled they get a homework pass. Our administration feels that 3rd graders should not be responsible for their homework. If the homework is not complete the blame should lie on the parents and we very well cannot punish the parents.
I would love to keep the students in for recess.

shapnic is offline   Reply With Quote

Ashleybrooke

Fun Friday
Old 12-15-2007, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My team and I used to have something called "Fun Friday" during the last 30 minutes of Friday afternoon. Two classrooms were fun rooms (games, crafts, movies, free gym time, etc.) and one room was the homework help room. Any child who had completed his or her homework could choose a fun room and any child who needed to complete work would stay and finish. (This could also be classwork.) Once a child completed the work to the teachers satisfaction, he or she could go to a fun room.

Now that I have moved schools I have my own small fun Friday in my classroom and the kids who have completed their work can choose educational games, free write/read or centers.
Ashleybrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
sdvvh

sdvvh

respose to homework is good
Old 02-20-2008, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

homework is not good for you. It has no positive effects and causes stess and family conflicts. Why should we keep doing something that doesn't help and that harms you that you don't even want to do? School is good-homework isn't
JenRebekah

JenRebekah

Recess should NOT be a loss priveledge
Old 01-29-2009, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

A Child should NOT loose recess because of homework. First of all, studies have shown that kids NEED to move. For their bodies and brains. If you don't get out and burn energy, where do you think they'll do it instead? In your classroom while you are trying teach, and because they haven't burned energy, their brains are not focused or learning. (ask any legit PE teacher, and brain researcher).

Second of all, as "Love and Logic" teaches, the consequence of anything should NOT punish the teacher or parent. Having them stay in at recess is punishing you, or whoever has to watch them.

tracykaliski

Old 01-29-2009, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I agree that children shouldn't have recess taken away from them for homework, but I think they shouldn't have it taken away from them for any reason whatsoever.

Has anyone looked at the recent research concerning homework and the benefits or lack thereof?
tracykaliski is offline   Reply With Quote

tmar

Homework
Old 01-29-2009, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I give them an extra day to get it in. I use the Late Homework Notices from Really Good Stuff and staple it in their agenda for parents to sign so they realize students didn't turn it in. The next day the child can bring in the Homework note and assignment with no consequences. If they still don't have it, it's done at ZAP. They take their lunch and complete the assignment in the STOP room during lunch.

tmar is offline   Reply With Quote