Third Grade

Multiplication-Tutoring

>

learn

Multiplication-Tutoring
Old 04-24-2022, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello PT,

I will start tutoring this week for a third grade student who is struggling with multiplications?

Aside from flashcards and some videos, is there anything else you teachers do in 3rd grade? I've only taught K-2nd and wanted some direction to help this student exceed in this area.

Thank you in advance

learn is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

Disclaimer--not an elementary teacher
Old 04-24-2022, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach SpEd and have covered grades K-12+ by now. Even some of my MS/HS struggle with multiplication.

If it were me, I would make sure that the student understands why we multiply-- talk about 'groups of' and show examples, maybe practice skip counting, and then combine the two to count groups by skip counting... Then maybe explore arrays, repeated addition and other ways to multiply.

After all that, remind them that the muliplication facts are like the fast way to do all that, like cheat codes of a sort.

That may not work for all kids but I've been more successful when they know why we do it.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

learn

Homework practice
Old 04-24-2022, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for the great ideas. I will implement the "why" behind it.

Should I have him practice a group at a time before meeting with the student a second time this week? For example, review the 2's and 3s and quiz him on it?
learn is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

I am hoping some current elementary
Old 04-24-2022, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

teachers chime in on this too--just to make sure I'm not leading you astray.

I usually start with 0, 2, 5, 10's because they are usually the ones most know by heart as skip counting. Some kids are afraid of multiplication and let that fear/anxiety overwhelm them. If you can build in some successes right away, it builds confidence.

Then when you quiz them, consider charting that-- Oh look, this time you got 6 right and last time it was only 4-- etc. Again, build on/focus on successes. When you introduced a new table, you can mention success of the old tables.

Also, reinforce the Associative property of multiplication, intro the new stuff and remind them how many they already "know" just by flipping the number sentence...
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 04-24-2022, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I taught third grade for many years. I taught the repeated addition to show the process. A few years ago I found the book Multiplication facts in 7 Days. It teaches the facts once, no commutative property. If you know one fact you know the answer if you reverse it. My kids loved the idea you did not have to study every fact, just the new ones. I also posted 3 fact cards a day for us to work on and we would say them throughout the day. I also did the line up using them. What is 2x4? They replied 8, ok group 1 line up, then what is 7x6? They replied 42… 6x7 is the fact that is not remembered by students. I use that one a lot. I played games using spinners, dice, and number cards for practice. Kaboom is a great game. I also used games on their laptops. It’s a long process.

mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Multiplication motivation
Old 04-28-2022, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I also taught 3rd. IMO, the easiest and most fun way to learn the facts is to begin learning the multiples for each table as they learn the process. Of all the products, books, or games I purchased the single best was a record, (an actual record) called Multiplication Motivation. Good news for you is that you can listen to each track on YouTube, FREE!!!

He can use a pyramid to practice learning his facts and it is a visual that shows him as he learns each table, there are fewer facts to learn for each table.

You may want to use the image below as a template. Use cardstock.

On the bottom row, in order, write 1 fact in a box, beginning with 1 x 1, ending with 1x10.
Move up to the second row and begin with 2x2...
Continue up the pyramid, the last fact is 10 x 10.

To make the table self-correcting write the product for each fact behind the fact on the other side. Poke a small hole above each one. When he practices, he can check if he's correct by poking a pencil through the hole to see the answer.

Hope these help.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote