Help

BusyBoard

No more Smartboards?

>

KatieViolet

No more Smartboards?
Old 04-28-2022, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I left the classroom and went into curriculum development about 5 years ago, so Iím not up on whatís going on in classrooms as much anymore. I saw someone mention on a post that their district was phasing out Smartboards because they were old tech. If thatís true, what are teachers using instead? Are they just sticking with projectors and no interactive board, or is there something newer that is being used? Would love some insight from current teachers, please!

KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-28-2022, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We switched to TVs 5-6 years ago. You can wireless mirror what's on your computer or other device to the TV. The picture is crystal clear and you can also play videos and things like that as well, but it is not a touchscreen/not interactive.

I was annoyed when we got them, because it became sort of this unwritten expectation that everyone make little slideshows for each and every lesson to display on the TV. At first it was a ton of work and I resented it. Now, many years in, I'm used to having those visuals and having the slide deck to keep me on track without having to look at lesson plans during the day. There's a possibility that I will be moving to a room without a TV next year and it would be very hard for me to lose it at this point.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Interactive projectors
Old 04-29-2022, 02:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That what my schools have switched to. Itís like a SmartBoard but uses a regular whiteboard to project on to. Itís interactive.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

We replaced our smart boards
Old 04-29-2022, 02:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

With smart TVs. Ours are interactive.

Better picture. Don't have to darken the room to see clearly. No projector to calibrate. No expensive bulbs to replace. No expensive projectors to replace.

No need to have a computer dedicated to the smart TV if you don't want to. You can access the internet straight from your board or connect your laptop wirelessly.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 04-29-2022, 03:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Smart boards have all been replaced by smart tv's in the county system here. Not interactive.

Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 04-29-2022, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Smart Boards didn't last long, here. In fact, we only had 2 in the entire building and that was years ago.

No Smart TV's, either/yet.

We are still just using projectors and regular white boards.

I'm fine with that, as I teach 2nd and we stay very busy and engaged without the use of technology. Hands-on, etc. activities. Each child does have their own laptop, but I use them sparingly and very purposefully.

We are a higher socio-economic district/school, so now you have me wondering why the topic of Smart TV's has never come up, lol.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 04-29-2022, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We use Epsom boards. Projector is mounted to the wall so no need to calibrate. Mine doesn't seem to be interactive but I think that's just because mine individually is just messed up. It doesn't take up any space in the classroom because it's mounted to the board. Plays videos, projects what I have on my computer. I can make it mirror so I can play something on the board while I'm working on something different on the computer.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 04-29-2022, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you guys for all the info. Itís very helpful. What about doc cameras? Are those still being used? Do they connect wirelessly to the TVs as well?
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 04-29-2022, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We have 68 inch touch screen monitors. LOVE THEM!! They are similar to what they use on tne news, think Al Rocker and his interactive weather reports. They are touch screen, so yes they are interactive. We also use document cameras through our computers. Our monitors are able to display what is on our computer screen, and we can use it just like a second computer touch screen or as a whiteboard like our old Smartboards. Awesome tool! Students are able to wireless connect their laptops to the monitor so we can share screens with the entire class during lessons.

Last edited by all41; 04-29-2022 at 02:10 PM..
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 04-29-2022, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We have Promethean Boards and they're wonderful. They're touch-screen and use apps like a phone. They're as big as Smartboards, but just a newer version.

All the students have chrome books now too, so that may be why many aren't using the Smartboards.

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 04-30-2022, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Our boards are similar to SmartBoards and I love the interactivity for both myself while teaching and for students to be able to come up to the board and show their work.
We also don’t have to have the room dark to use them, though I prefer to not have all the fluorescent lights on all of the time (gives me migraines).

We had TVs prior to what we have now, with no interactive options.

I love what we have now and that we can write write on and pdf, word document, or website while at the front of the room.
We have a Ladybug projector as well but I never use it, especially because I have to stay at the back of my classroom to use it.

I also purchased a wireless mouse and keyboard so I can control my “presentation computer” from anywhere in the room.

Students each have their own laptop as well but that doesn’t replace using the interactive board for teaching.
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

whatever

We are switching to something similar to PPs
Old 04-30-2022, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

A touchscreen product called NewLine Boards--They are like 78" tablets-- It can stand alone or mirror the content of an attached computer--

I don't have mine yet but have been to the training. They seem really awesome. I love that the light and images come from inside so that there is no need to have that external projector--YAY!!

I hope to get one this summer in time to learn about it before school begins.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Mimio Boards
Old 04-30-2022, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My large district switched to Mimio boards & projectors.

I love the Mimio board because any whiteboard can be used as an interactive board by attaching the small interactive bar.

We previously had Promethean Boards & Smart Boards which were large & wired.

The newer technologies are wireless & takes us less space.
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 05-02-2022, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
We have Promethean Boards and they're wonderful. They're touch-screen and use apps like a phone.
This my 3rd school year as a SAHM, so Iím slightly out of the loop. My school got Promethean boards about 2 years before I left. I enjoyed using it. They were great for all the reasons a PP shared.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

School Time

Old 05-04-2022, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We are moving to Promethean Boards.
School Time is offline   Reply With Quote