The VENT

Teacher "Appreciation"

>

kerrysgirl

Teacher "Appreciation"
Old 05-02-2022, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We get to wear jeans this week.

That would be great if we all wore jeans...

Sorry I'm petty. I'm just over it. These folks haven't even told us if we have jobs yet or not for next year...How does one feel appreciated when one feels so insecure all the time? (Serious question).

Anyway, hope your day is better than mine so far. Hang in there, peeps.

kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-02-2022, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is such a tough week for teachers. I think most people (admin and PTO) do go in with positive intentions, but the "gifts" are just so tone deaf or people end up feeling left out, that it becomes more stressful and upsetting for teachers. For example, the PTO wrote the names of all the teachers on the sidewalk, but left out the related services. Typical, but really inexcusable.

Or, the "gifts" are so ridiculous (wear jeans, something stupid with ridiculous sayings, etc) that you truly have to wonder what admin was thinking). I get it's expensive buying for a lot of people, but put some thought into it. And then you add in things like not knowing if you'll have a job and it's just insulting.

Personally, I'm to the point where I just dread it because I know it's going to cause more problems. I'd rather have admin treat me with respect and decency all year long rather than throw crap at me one week out of the year and pretend everything is hunky dory.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 05-02-2022, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
I'd rather have admin treat me with respect and decency all year long rather than throw crap at me one week out of the year and pretend everything is hunky dory.
This. When I'm trying to declutter my house, I sure get tired of trying to figure out what I should do with all the useless and unwanted stuff I've gotten through the years in the name of "appreciation."

The public school in my community is really struggling right now with low teacher morale and teachers/principals jumping ship and going to other districts or leaving the profession. The very people who constantly bash teachers on their "concerned parents" FB page and who thought it would be great to vote for union-busting politicians who refuse to adequately fund schools are now trying to pretend that they support teachers. Someone bragged about bringing baked goods for the whole staff for teacher "appreciation" and I just wanted to scream: "They don't need baked goods. They need a living wage. They need respect from parents and students. They need you to leave them alone outside of contract hours. They don't need these bull**** gestures."

Quote:
How does one feel appreciated when one feels so insecure all the time? (Serious question).
And this! I spent at least 23 out of 33 years of being an arts educator with the threat of layoff or time reduction hanging over my head.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

MythBuster

Yeah I get it!
Old 05-02-2022, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm not a fan of "appreciation" week either. If you have to have an official week then obviously there is something wrong with the job. And there is never anything that is just for teachers either it's always "staff appreciation" um how about you actually do something that is just teachers after all you make a big deal of secretary day, para day, etc.
MythBuster is offline   Reply With Quote

School Time

Old 05-02-2022, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We usually have some thoughtful remembrances. Used to get a nice lunch, breakfast, a plant from the Mother's Day plant sale. This year we had a raffle (Cinco de Mayo themed). I wasn't a fan--four people won out of 50. Tomorrow is snacks. Don't remember Wednesday. Thursday is lunch. Friday kids are supposed to make a card or thank you or dress like us. I am not interested in kids dressing like me. My daughter's school is having kids wear red on Tuesday and fist bump on Thursday. How is this appreciating teachers?

School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

rana712

Appreciation
Old 05-02-2022, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

At our school,
*the student council is putting a treat in everyone's boxes every day
*the PTSA has organized the community and is putting out breakfast one day and is having a lunch cook out on another.
*the superintendent and board of ed sent a note and will be providing a breakfast tray.

So, no. It is not over the top. But it is nice to be appreciated.
rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 05-02-2022, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm grateful that in general our PTSO and admin do show appreciation during the year, and this week isn't a huge deal. During conference week we always get the lounge stocked with good snacks. Admin will often cancel meetings when they know things are tough and we need time. It makes me feel seen and wanted, rather than some random week when people feel pressured to appreciate.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 05-03-2022, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Our TA weeks have varied over the years. Many times depended on the PTA and the moms in charge. Admin would usually put a little something in mailboxes for us. I do like the thoughtful little things but would greatly appreciate more being taken off our plate. Cancel meetings would be great!
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Teacher appreciation
Old 05-03-2022, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am sorry so many of you have awkward and under appreciated this week. Especially this year.

I am grateful I worked in a school with a fabulous PTO. There was something new each day of the week. Kids bought flowers on one day, cards the next, sweets and treats in staff room, our favorite Starbucks drink. It all ended on Friday with a luncheon for every single person who received a paycheck from the district/worked in the school. This included aides, paras, admin, custodians, everyone.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 05-03-2022, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have a friend and his wife works for a different district. He gets so mad because he sees what she gets from their PTO. We got a candy bar in our mailboxes and bagels this morning. Good enough for me. I would just like the kids to behave. That's all I want.

nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

kerrysgirl

I'm glad many of you
Old 05-03-2022, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

are getting some well-deserved appreciation. I hope you enjoy!!
kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

heart4kids

Teacher Appreciation Fail
Old 05-03-2022, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

2020 Teacher Appreciation Week, the first where we were all teaching from home during the pandemic. Our wonderful PTO created gift baskets with assortment of nice things, including homemade baked goods to surprise all the staff. I saw the first post on Tuesday night and read a barrage of posts on Facebook from thankful coworkers gushing about how wonderful the PTO was to deliver them to their homes. Their efforts were commendable as one delivery went to a staff member who lived about 45 minutes away.

I live just ten minutes away from my school. So I kept checking my front and back porch sure mine would arrive soon. This went on Tues., Wed., and Thurs. By the time Friday ended, I was embarrassed and kinda exhausted from checking several times a day. I actually had a personal pity party and shed a private tear or two. This was ridiculous, I know. I think it was made worse because I was so lonely and scared about the virus.

On Saturday evening my husband was in the driveway when a car pulled up and a basket was thrust toward him. Yay! My muffins which were "fresh baked" for the Tuesday folks were so stale and rubbery I threw them away because I couldn't tell if it the speckles were blueberries or mold from them languishing in the back of someone's car for five days. This is NOT how to make people feel appreciated.
heart4kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 05-03-2022, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Our principal always posts ideas for the parents for each day, PTA used to do it and it was great but she ran them all off years ago.

Monday was “send your teacher a picture of your favorite animal”
Tuesday: draw a flower
Wednesday: give your teacher a compliment
Thursday: bring in bottles to be recycled, again
Friday: write a thank you note or a small gift

I’d take just the thank you note!!

Such odd choices

Today our principal provided individual bags of nacho cheese Doritos and jars of salsa to it into a cup… again, really random choice. Not even tortilla chips, red Doritos.

Sbkangas, I want to work at your school!!
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-03-2022, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We wear jeans year round at my school . Pre-pandemic, P made a half hearted attempt at saying they should only be on Fridays. Dress code with covid teaching kind of went out the window. I make an effort to look put together, but I wear jeans a lot as does most of the rest of the staff.

I think this week is a really hard thing, personally, where people are often going to get upset either way. I can relate to feelings that an "appreciation week" is trying to make up for crappy salary, and that's not okay. OTOH knowing the week exists, I would be upset if the school did nothing.

A lot of the times the gifts fall flat as well. Last year the district sent over t-shirts. The secretary thought she was being clever by just submitting our sizes from the beginning of the year (we always have a school shirt). Except, these were fitted t-shirts and only fit/looked good on the size 2 people. Most of us couldn't wear the ones we got. This year, they sent mugs. Nothing wrong with it, but do I need another mug? Nope. Does any teacher need another mug??

In 2020, PTO sent grubhub giftcards. Great, an actually good present! Except, my entire sped team was left off the list. We complained and did end up getting the cards a few days later. But we sure didn't feel appreciated. In my last school, which was a dumpster fire, we had a staff meeting and that P put out like 3-4 individual flowers at each table (not even enough for each staff member to have ONE flower) and said, "Please feel free to take one as an appreciation gift." Right.

We had cupcakes yesterday from a parent and breakfast today from PTO. Our admin team is off at a conference until Thurs. so we'll see if they do anything at the end of the week. This year my P has been super gung-ho about celebrating all the recognition days/weeks. We made a huge deal of school counselor's week, secretary's day, IT day, bus driver day, custodian day, para day, etc. Because all of these "other days" are for only 1-2 people in the school, they got TONS of really nice stuff that will never be replicated due to the number of teachers. Nobody has openly admitted it, but you have to think that breeds resentment. I'm sure P will do something, but it's typically really small and nowhere near the scale that all of these other people with their own day/week got.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 05-03-2022, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Our district is huge, so we don’t get anything from them. There are raffles for teachers each year that you can enter, the grand prize this year was to have your classroom re-carpeted (with fine print which even stated it was the “winners” responsibility to empty the classroom over the summer and move everything back in for this)

You could “opt out of” of prizes, I opted out of that as did all the teachers I spoke to… that gift isn’t for me, it’s for the school.
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 05-04-2022, 01:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Quote:
with fine print which even stated it was the “winners” responsibility to empty the classroom over the summer and move everything back in for this)
This doesn't even make sense as our summer cleaning crew empties every single classroom one section at a time to wax floors/ clean carpets. The only thing that might stay in the room are very large book cases that they work around. After, they put furniture back in room ( but not set up). No need for teachers to do this.

And I agree, it is a gift for the school, not for the teacher, haha
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 05-04-2022, 02:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I agree with the person who said I just want to be treated with respect throughout the year. When I’ve had administrators and parents who are supportive and respectful always, the smallest gesture on teacher appreciation week made me feel wonderful. When I have administrators and parents who are rude, disrespectful, micromanaging …… they need to just skip it. Nobody wants anything from them.
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 05-04-2022, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

We usually have a luncheon on our early day. I haven't heard anything about that this year and figure it is because we just recently let volunteers come back into the buildings.

We were told about a taco bar for yesterday and nachos Friday at recess time (many have duty). I ate breakfast Monday and went to school to find PTA brought in breakfast. Well, how are we supposed to know about it? We got a small treat in our box yesterday that was cute.

I am taking my lunch today and eating breakfast. Don't know if anything else is being provided (in the past we did get food of some sort every day. No expectations or announcements this year, so who knows?

I agree with good behavior all year. Effort by students would be great.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Thank you
Old 05-04-2022, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I just wanted to sincerely thank everyone who lists the unappreciated “appreciation” gifts. It’s helped me A LOT as a parent to know what is good to send my son’s teachers.

This morning I dropped off breakfast with thank you notes for everyone.

So, if nothing else, I appreciate your help.
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 05-04-2022, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

h0kie, I think there are 2 kinds of “appreciation” being discussed. I think we all sincerely love anything that comes from a parent of our students. But what we don’t like is a manufactured appreciation day by admin to mask the respect and pay we deserve.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Oh, I know!
Old 05-04-2022, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I get it! I’m sincerely grateful. I know what I liked receiving when I was teaching but not everyone is me. These posts give me lots of good ideas and lots of things to add to the “um, no” list.

They also help me help DH, who is an administrator, give his coaches gifts they actually might like.

I used to love hand soap…but I’ve realized some people are allergic to scents so that might not be the best choice, etc…
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

School Time

Old 05-04-2022, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Best gift today--an email from a student from 5 years ago, telling me that I am the best teacher he had or will have!

Today's surprise from the PTA. Cocktail shakers and an empanada gift card.

Tori58

Old 05-04-2022, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I appreciate spontaneous gifts from students. I have drawings, friendship bracelets, and various other small things kids have given me through the years. I have end-of-year gifts from senior choir members that I will never part with. Those I treasure. I still have some from my first year of teaching.

I am uncomfortable with gifts purchased and given by parents of students. I feel as though they are trying to purchase special treatment for their child.

My school provided lunch for teachers on Monday, and covered their lunch and recess duty. Teachers knew about it in advance. On Tuesday, someone provided breakfast but I don't know if anyone knew about it in advance. I agree that meals are fairly useless if you don't let anyone know they're coming. Today they had a sign-up sheet for a 15 minute massage in the break room. I will say that I think these are pretty nice gestures, even if I'm a person who can't eat the breakfasts and lunches that they provide (too full of carbs and sugar) and even if I, personally, can't stand to be touched by people I don't know so would never be interested in a massage. They are not obligated to take my peculiarities into consideration.

But, of course, I know that part of the reason any of this is happening is that a) there's been quite a bit of turnover in the 5 years I've been there (out of a staff of 9 full time classroom teachers, only 4 were there when I started, out of 6 part time teachers, only 2 were there when I started) and b) they recently summarily fired a teacher and nobody knows what happened. But, this particular teacher was pretty important to the overall function of the school and many teachers are having to pick up the slack. Plus, I'm pretty sure they're hoping to recruit some teachers from the public school, where teachers are extremely dissatisfied. (This is clear from how much of this stuff has gone up on FB, the primary PR tool for the school.

Ulterior motives don't make me feel appreciated.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-04-2022, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Well, today's "appreciation" events were weird. P is away at a leadership thing district makes admin participate in. She had "real new york bagels" flown in . We are very, very far from NY. Apparently she had them sent yesterday, and was PEEVED that the secretary didn't set them out. Well, yesterday we had a full breakfast spread, with panera bagels among numerous other things, so I'm sure secretary thought it made more sense to save something for today, when no food was provided.

Also, the whole idea was extremely strange to me. Surely she paid some money for this, and why?? Why would it even occur to you to have bagels of all things flown across the country? Perhaps it's because they were day-old, but they tasted like grocery store bagels to me . Not stale, just nothing special at all. Panera was way better.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Ours was in March
Old 05-05-2022, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

We can wear jeans any time.

Our TAW was in March.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

tatapatch

Old 05-06-2022, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I'm a virtual teacher. We got 2 "days off" for teacher appreciation and the admin emailed all parents telling them to send us nice messages, throughout the week. Well, I haven't gotten a single message. My kids have interesting families, and most probably didn't read the e-mails. In the grand scheme of things, it's ok and not a big deal. Admin put something up for everyone to post a copy of the messages they got from kids. Some teachers got gift cards and all kinds of notes, and I got nothing. Makes me feel awkward. Like I said, I know better, but.....

As far as the days off, they are now like "teacher workdays"

AND, we don't know if we have a position next year. Enrollment doesn't end until July, so we probably won't be getting contracts until then.......Not sure if I can wait that long, as I'm the main bread winner in my family.. and I don't know what to do!
tatapatch is offline   Reply With Quote

School Time

I appreciate the thought but...
Old 05-06-2022, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

May 6. Gift from student Swiss Miss Peppermint Hot Cocoa in a tin. I assume left over from Christmas.

apple annie

Old 05-06-2022, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

This is the first time ever that I have not gotten one thing from a parent for Teacher Appreciation Week. The PTA had a lunch for us on Wednesday, and breakfast Thursday. Nothing on Monday or Tuesday. And we didn't have students today because it was a workday.
I finally on Wednesday made my students write teacher appreciation notes to all their teachers, including me! Haha.

Then I finally did have one sweet kid come by today and give me a Target gift card.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 05-08-2022, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Ours was last week. On Monday, we got a bouquet of flowers. The stems were enclosed in a baggie filled with water that leaked all over the place. I'm sure the assumption was that teachers had vases in their classrooms, but I haven't done that in years. On Tuesday, we got a cheap beach towel with something about "sun-sational" teachers. On Wednesday, there was a luncheon. It showed up an hour late. I never count on any school-provided lunch, having been burned many times in the past, but I did wander by the lounge at 12:45. Nothing left. I have no idea what was provided on Thursday or Friday, as I was off for previously scheduled personal days.

This one really got me, though. We were basically ordered on Friday 4/29 to put together an Amazon wish list for classroom supplies that the parents could buy. ("We'll look forward to receiving your list by Monday," the room parent email said. Yeah, because I didn't have anything else to do last weekend.) The items were supposed to be something that benefited the students. Let's see...we have four weeks of school left, and I'm not returning (thank heavens!) and can't presume to speak for next year's teacher, so what should I list? I decided the class library was the target. When I began cleaning it out last winter, I found a lot of books that landed in the trash can and an entire stack of Scholastic News issues from 2011, and I have spent too much of my own money at the used bookstore. What the library really needs is phonics-based readers--again, not something that will really benefit most of this year's students. But that's what I listed. The reply from the room mom: "Thank you for your feedback." I'll be curious to see if anything was actually purchased and donated.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote