Help

The Job Search

Interview process

>

Gromit

Interview process
Old 05-04-2022, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just received an email explaining the interview process for a particular school…

1) ten minute phone screening interview
2) in person group interview
3) observation *at my current work site *!!!

Have you ever heard of anything like step 3? That seems absurd and I’m not doing it. I’ll apply elsewhere.

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 05-08-2022, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Does that mean that someone who does not currently have a teaching job canít have a shot at getting hired? That does seem absurd. If they want you to do a demo lesson, they need to have you go to their school and make the arrangements for people to teach the lesson to.

I have heard others on this board talk about doing demo lessons for interviews, but had never heard of it happening where I live. Now it seems that my current district sometimes does it, but not always.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

delikate

Wow
Old 05-14-2022, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sometimes, we don't want our principal to know we are applying elsewhere. How are you going to explain having a bunch of "visitors" in your classroom to watch you teach a lesson?

I have never heard of a district asking for this, but it sounds like they don't want any outside hires.
delikate is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-14-2022, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did that once. They mentioned in the interview that people could come do demos at their school if they had no other choice, but they preferred to see what people looked like in their "real" classrooms. I just told the secretary I was expecting 2 visitors at x time and to please send them down to my room- I didn't say anything to my then current P.

I didn't end up getting the job, but I consider it a bullet dodged and am very glad they had it set up that way! My interview went great and I felt that all parties were feeling very good about everything. I did not plan a "dog and pony show" lesson. It was a regular lesson that looked like my regular classroom on any given day. Was it perfect? Certainly not, especially since they showed up 10 minutes late and therefore I had less time than I was anticipating. But it certainly wasn't a disaster either.

They called me that evening and the first question they asked was if I wanted feedback. I said yes. The way they spoke to me was just really condescending and rude. They listed a couple of negative things first, threw in something to the tune of, "I mean, there were some good things like x and y, but yeah, just not what we're looking for." Welp, not what I'm looking for either! What if I had gotten hired based on my interview and then ended up working for admins who hate the way I teach (and dealing with admins who suck at giving constructive feedback), and ended up dealing with a non-renewal?

I always appreciated doing demo lessons for that reason. No, I'm not perfect, and I learn and grow every year. But I'm pretty confident in the way that I teach and I know that what I do works. If an admin doesn't like it, I'd rather know that up front and not get hired rather than end up working at a school that's a terrible fit.

The other demo lessons I've done have been at the school I'm interviewing for and it's obviously not as authentic as you don't know the students or their needs. It seems in recent years the trend is to ask candidates for videos of their teaching, so that you can see what they look like in their own classroom but don't have to take the time to set up observations. In the past few years I've seen quite a few teachers looking elsewhere making those. My P waffles on making people submit videos- some years she requires them and some years she doesn't.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote