Help

Retired Teachers

Purging continued

>

Cat woman

Purging continued
Old 05-08-2022, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I retired completely 3 years ago (semi retired 7 years ago). Along the way I slowly got rid of books and resources but for whatever reason just couldnít part with some professional materials. Since I am on a decluttering binge I decided today to get rid of it all. Sure felt good to toss in recycling, trash, and in the rummage sale bins! I still have a bit more to do, but am finally on this mission. The cleared bookcase space will be useful in my basement!

Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Purging
Old 05-09-2022, 02:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Good for you for getting rid of all that stuff. I brought home a box of stuff from my classroom when I retired 6 years ago. I got rid of it a few years later.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 05-09-2022, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yeah! I should do that but thought I would need some for tutoring. I'm surprised what I actually have used, and what sits idle.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Nice
Old 05-09-2022, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Did you feel so invigorating after decluttering? I know I did. I retired almost 3 years ago and brought home some boxes. I have slowly given away some things. I am down to one box!
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Iím purging now!
Old 05-09-2022, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am leaving my classroom library, and am taking just what I think I need if I decide to tutor, and my favorite read-alouds for future grandchildren.

You just inspired me to let go of more of my teacher resource books. Itís hard, but if I let them go now, maybe someone else can use them.

Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 05-09-2022, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I figure after three years of no school related activities I wonít be needing any of it. I have no desire to even tutor because since retiring completely I have developed other interests and hobbies.

Linda/OH

purging school stuff
Old 05-10-2022, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This speaks to me. I have been decluttering/purging again too. I had brought home some books and some units of teaching that I couldn't bear to part with . I don't know what to do with my Great Lakes one (which I put so much blood, sweat and tears into and am very proud of it) because no one teaches in themes anymore and the standards are surely outdated. But I kept it in a small plastic tub for now. Maybe it represents the way I loved teaching. It was so much fun. I did get rid of others and donated a slew of books after my granddaughter outgrew them too. Good luck to all who continue to purge!
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 05-10-2022, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I still have a simple microscope and a bunch of molecular models in my closet, 7 years after retirement! I suppose I might be asked to tutor somebody sometime and find those things useful...but probably not, at this point. They don't take up much space, though. Maybe I can use the microscope to figure out what kinds of algae are growing in my water barrels by the garden. I also have 5 or 6 different Environmental Science textbooks, which I have not opened in at least 5 years. I guess I may as well recycle those.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Stuff after Retirement
Old 05-10-2022, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I brought home 2 copy boxes and a reusable grocery sack. In one box were office supplies (stapler, tape, paper clips, file folders, etc.) as those were purchased with personal money. The other box had books from my personal library.

The reusable grocery sack had "teacher treasures" that students had given me over the years. No, I wasn't interested in keeping them, but it would have been in bad taste to leave them behind. I didn't dare take them to the local thrift store either, for fear they would be recognized. I waited until I was out of town and donated them to that town's thrift store.

Now if I could just apply this minimalism to my fabric stash!
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 05-10-2022, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have been purging my classroom all year as I retire in June. Last 31 years of 36 in same school and grade. I plan to bring 1 milk crate worth of stuff home and that's it hopefully.

I have given stuff to students, staff, other teachers through local Facebook group. Some old stuff that no one will use got tossed. Some stuff will be left for brand new teacher replacing me.

twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 05-11-2022, 12:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I took a final box to Good Will last Saturday. I still have a huge box of books I am saving for my great nephew. I retired in 2015.

Last edited by JanetL; 05-11-2022 at 03:20 PM..
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 05-11-2022, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am/have been keeping the office supplies that I purchased with my own money. The binders, dividers, staplers, tape, crates, shelves, bins, post itís (oh, how did I ever manage to buy so many?!) have all been very useful in organizing my sewing addiction.

NJ Teacher

Great job!
Old 05-12-2022, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

When I was teaching, I had quite a collection of Mailbox magazines published by The Education Center. I had spent quite a lot of money on them over the years and they served me well. I knew no one would be interested in them, so out they went.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 05-12-2022, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
When I was teaching, I had quite a collection of Mailbox magazines published by The Education Center.
Iíd forgotten about Mailbox magazine, loved those things!

When I finally tossed everything I felt a mixture of sadness and relief but that turned into only relief very quickly!
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 05-14-2022, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I too have been purging my classroom all year--June retirement is around the corner . It helped that a few years ago I changed classroom so pitched alot then. Now I'm giving away at work, donating via home and throwing away. Sure feels good! And the way things have changed in education, I can't wait to throw out some of my don't use anymore teacher resource books. Everyday I do something to empty my room of stuff.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

I'm retired
Old 05-15-2022, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

but I'm jealous of all you purgers . I believe I tore my meniscus yesterday so all those summer purging plans might have to be put on hold. Sigh
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote