Help

The VENT

Unannounced Formal Observation last week of school

>

flutetoot

Unannounced Formal Observation last week of school
Old 06-04-2022, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My Formal Observation was due on April 30th. My administrator never came in once during the entire school year to observe me (I'm continuing contract). This past week, he must have received a warning from our Principal because he finally decided to come in and do a formal observation. This is the last week of school and I teach 8th grade (they are now moving onto the high school). WE stopped submitting lesson plans the week before and really have not been planning anything since the school is just doing pull-outs for testing make-ups and retakes. I do have students completing a final project and/or make-up work to bring their grades up, but those who are content with their grades are basically "checked out".

He wrote up my final observation, citing me for not having through lesson plans, not having the learning target posted, and having students not engaged and/or not participating in the class.

I do not want to sign this because:
1) this was unannounced and it was during the last week of school
2) lesson plans were not necessary to be submitted and learning targets were not necessary
3) it is not my fault that he is 6 weeks late with my observation so he decided to come in and hastily do one
4) IT IS THE LAST WEEK OF SCHOOL

When I mentioned these concerns, he told me that "you should be teaching all the way up to the last day of school and I can come in any time to do an observation" (But a 'formal' one?)

Thoughts? Am I in the wrong? (I have been teaching 15 years and am the head of my department)

flutetoot is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 06-04-2022, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's a crummy gotcha move on the admin's part. Do you have a union? Union leadership around here would advise you not to sign it due to the due date of all observations. Contracts usually spell out a teacher's rights on this issue. Look at your contract carefully. I'm guessing this is another way to drive out experienced,older more expensive teachers. Not anything new in the teaching profession.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 06-04-2022, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Agree with Anna. One year, our principal missed the due date and the formal observation wasn’t done. We did get our overall evaluation but it was fine.

Check with your union if you have one. If not, check your contract carefully. Choices in my order of preference…

1. Don’t sign it. (If no repercussions.)
2. Sign it with a statement next to the signature that my signature only acknowledges receiving a copy of the observation. I do not agree with the observation.
3. Same as #2 but add a rebuttal to be attached to the observation. Make sure it goes in your file.

Sorry you have to deal with this due to your administrator’s incompetence.

Last edited by KetchupChips; 06-05-2022 at 12:23 AM..
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Old 06-04-2022, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would talk to your union rep about what not signing it means. In my school system signing an evaluation means that you read it didn't necessarily agree with the contents.

Five days before I retired I had a scheduled observation. The principal asked the assistant principal to do it. When we met the next day the observation wasn't discussed. We just chit chatted.

My principal was a nasty piece of work.

Last edited by travelingfar; 06-05-2022 at 10:51 AM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 06-04-2022, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That is ridiculous! You are not in the wrong. Admin is clueless to what a classroom is really like at this point and is trying to cover his butt since he totally dropped the ball.

Last edited by twinmom95; 06-05-2022 at 03:36 AM..
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-04-2022, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am also curious if you have a union. I keep hearing that the union can "only grieve the process," which typically isn't helpful, but in your case it might actually be. If it's writing in the contract that formal observations are to be done by April 30th, and your P did yours after that, you should have cause for a grievance. What that looks like and how it may or may not benefit you, IDK. I'd talk with the union and others in the building about that.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 06-04-2022, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Would talking to your principal be an option? Mine would address the issue.
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-04-2022, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Per our contract our admin canít come in after the due date (thatís why itís called a due date). Are you sure they can do the observation after the due date? Iíd check your contract and confirm that before you sign.

2 other thoughts:
1) what was your final score? If you got a satisfactory or above Iím not sure itís worth the fight.
2) Iíd you didnít get the satisfactory then Iíd talk to someone about fighting it, especially since it was after the due date. In my old district we can fight the process, but not the product. Meaning we could fight this because the admin messed up the process by doing the observation after the due date so weíd get it tossed.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

School Time

Old 06-04-2022, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My first thought was the union. If you spoke to the principal, would that help or make things worse? Was his observation so low that you would need to be on a remediation plan? If not, would it cause any problem? I do understand that you take pride in what you do and this is upsetting. But if fighting it would make things worse, it might be best to let it go (easier said than done!).

We don't have a timetable that I know of. But I once had a principal wait to have my summative meeting until an hour before teachers were done for the summer. He did that because he was putting something in I wouldn't like. He knew I would sign it and not fight. He was also being transferred.
School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Void
Old 06-04-2022, 09:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our contract is very clear about observation due dates. After our final observation, the administrator must meet with us within a time frame or the entire process becomes void. The other side of that coin is you have to start all over, so it just kicks the observation can down the road. Most teachers will agree to meet after the due date (this is allowed if both parties agree) and get it over with.

Our contract calls for x number of drop in observations and 3 planned evaluations. The latter must be on a day agreed upon in advance.

Your admin sounds like a real piece of work. I hope you can find a solution.

WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 06-04-2022, 11:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I wouldn't sign it. If you do, make sure a rebuttal is attached to the evaluation. Get a copy and make sure it goes in your file.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 06-05-2022, 03:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

If you have a union rep., for sure don't sign it until you've discussed it with your rep. If you don't have a union, in your place I would take my complaint straight up the chain of command to the school board, if necessary.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Old 06-05-2022, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Deadlines for thee, but not for me...
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

You are not wrongÖ
Old 06-05-2022, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I would definitely consult my union rep. This administrator missed the April 30th deadline. He should have had the brains to not write up such a critical observation during the last week of school. Realistically and honestly, what did he expect? I taught elementary, but we would have been doing wrap-up projects, board games, videos etc. it is one thing to write a suggestion or two, but this was harsh and over-the-top in my opinion.

I would definitely rebut it. Have you ever had a problem with this administrator before? He seems like he has an axe to grind.

It would be interesting to see whether your final rating score with this observation still gave you an effective rating. They might not be willing to put it through without your signature on this one. My principal always claimed she did not know the final summatiive score till the end.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

meandmyhouse

Old 06-05-2022, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

This makes me so angry for you! What kind of miserable person he must be. PP have given good advice, I have nothing to add. I just wanted to offer you support.
meandmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 06-05-2022, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

aw, he77, no!

others have given you excellent advice. i'm curious if you have a union because that will make the biggest difference.

please let us know what you end up doing!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 06-05-2022, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

One year I was at a school and admin thought I didnít need an observation. Wrong! I needed 2! When did I find out? Last week of school! I have one 4 days before the end of the year and one the last day of damn school.

Never saw any follow up and I was gone after that year!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 06-05-2022, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

My new at the time principal tried to pull this. He also had the eval backdated to the correct due date. I guess he thought I would be too intimidated to question him. I signed acknowledging receipt only and wrote on the eval that he did not follow required procedures. He also gave me all average ratings when I had 15 years of excellent ratings.

Schedule a meeting with your union rep present ( I also included his supervisor).
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 06-06-2022, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

What happened flutetoot? If you don't have a union, what are your next steps? This is just crappy what he did to you and you are not wrong!!
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

flutetoot

Old 06-06-2022, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

THanks, but unfortunately we don't really have a union (I'm in Virginia)

flutetoot

Old 06-06-2022, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I still have not signed it - he (the content admin) has been out and I have not heard from him. We really have no union with any power (I'm in VA) so my options are limited. I think if he starts to bug me about signing it, I will sign it but add an addendum.

He is a little annoyed with me since I told our Principal that he was late in his evaluations and has not attended any of our content meetings (he says he is 'too busy' but I have actually been running the department since he does nothing)

hiker1

Old 06-07-2022, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Let him be annoyed. He knows that he is in the wrong . most schools collect school owned electronic devices as well as school books a week before school ends. You have proof that he hasn't been attending meetings and he missed the deadline for observations. Don't sign anything..
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

bulldoglab112

Old 06-08-2022, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I had a similar incident many years ago. My state doesn't have a union~there are teacher organizations that lobby for teachers and include legal representation to members. The education code has specific requirements for evaluations~failure to follow the procedures invalidates the evaluation. It can't be used to terminate the employee. I was advised to sign acknowledging receipt only and to attach a rebuttal to the evaluation. The district is required to keep the rebuttal attached as long as the evaluation is retained in my file. Below my signature I wrote "see rebuttal attached".

At this point in the year, I don't think I would sign it unless your principal directed you to.
bulldoglab112 is offline   Reply With Quote