ARCHIVE

Smartboards

>

Questions

Questions

Smartboards
Old 12-21-2007, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 5th grade and have been told I will be getting a Smartboard installed in my room. I was just curious what others use their Smartboard mostly for? I don't know a lot about them. Any info. you could share (how you use them, how the kids use them, premade things that I could use, etc.) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

NY1TCHR

Have fun!
Old 12-21-2007, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love having my smartboard. You can use it for everything. I would recommend installing the software on your home computer and experiment with it. You do NOT need the smartboard hooked up in order to use the software. The website also has activities that others have created and available for download.

If you go to www.smarttech.com, go under quick links, software download, you can download the software.

Have fun playing and congrats, you will love it!!!
NY1TCHR is offline   Reply With Quote

School Time

Smartboard
Old 12-21-2007, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There is so much you can do with a Smartboard! There are many pre-made activities out there. Smart Technologies, the company that makes the boards, have many free resources. If you do an on-line search, many schools and individuals have posted their activities also, It is very easy to make things yourself.

he way the board works is that your computer sends the information and it is projected on the board. You can use the markers that come with it or your fingure to "write" on it. You actually are not writing on the board itself. You can print something and then change it to a text box. You can insert pictures, too. You can move objects around the screen by touching them.

An example of what I have used mine for: We were discussing living and nonliving things in second grade. I found pictures of various objects, such as plants, animals, toys, cars. The children came up and moved each item into a circle labeled "living" or one labeled "nonliving." When we learn to count money, the children have coins on their desk. They come up one at a time and find a given assortment of coins ( 1 dime, 3 nickels, 4 pennies), place them in order, and then count on to find the value, writing the amounts under the coins.

You can also scan pages into the computer and put them on the Smartboard and interact with them. My textbooks have elelctronic versions that I can open on the board and write on the pages.

Smart Technologies does offer free training. There are also tutorials available on-line.

IIt is a great invention!
School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Websites
Old 12-22-2007, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use it to enhance my math lessons. When we were doing time telling, I was able to bring in clock games as well as clocks from the Gallery for SmartBoard and the internet. You can write on the website page on the SmartBoard. I also use a virtual timer when doing fact tests that the kids love. In writing, I use typed texts and we write on the text to highlight specific elements of the writer's craft. We also have our math text available online, so sometimes, I just have the kids gather on the rug by the Smartboard and they don't need their own books, just individual whiteboards and dry erase markers. The possibilities are endless-you will love it!
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Questions

Questions

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2007, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for all your information! I am getting so excited!!!!!

NJ TEACHER----- Do you remember where you found the virtual timer? That sounds really neat!

NJ Teacher

Here is the link for the timer
Old 12-22-2007, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

http://www.vickiblackwell.com/timer.html

Enjoy!
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

cheri

My favorite thing...
Old 12-26-2007, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have an Activboard, but you could do this with a Smartboard, too. Every morning, my meteorologist goes on weather.com and asks the class questions about today's weather. We look at radar maps, discuss types of precip, directions, locations of cities in our state, etc. Then we compare our weather with that of our pen pals, and different regions we are studying in social studies. They have gotten so much out of this! I love it. Of course I use my board for everything else I teach, too. Enjoy!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote

trtlgrl

same thing?
Old 12-27-2007, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Is your Active board the same thing as a promethean board? I think all of these are the same thing, but go under different names according to manufacturer. Am I right?
trtlgrl is offline   Reply With Quote

cheri

Yes, they are the same.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Promethean is the company that puts out the Activboard. Some people call the Promethean boards, some call them Activboards.
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote

kiasun711

timer
Old 12-30-2007, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You can also get a timer in the Smart software gallery. I always forget to look there for things, but they have a ton. I have used that resource to get spinners, dice, etc to teach probability. There is a video on symmetry.

I use mine for everything. All of my science and social studies lessons are taught using powerpoint with embedded videos from united streaming.

It is great! Good luck!

kiasun711 is offline   Reply With Quote
bdee
Old 02-02-2008, 11:32 AM
This message has been deleted by bdee. Reason: saw there was already the same advice given.