Help

ARCHIVE

Ow..Was this necessary?

>

twinmommy

Ow..Was this necessary?
Old 12-21-2007, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As you know, I have 33 students. Nearly all of them gave me a Christmas present today. Most were small, cookies, candles, the like.
I wrote out individual thank you cards, and my carpal tunnel and arm are killing me!
When I told my mother, she said, wow, you should have just brought in the students a small goodie bag with candie as a sign of thank you to the gifts and that I didn't have to write out those tedious individual cards.
I think next time that's what I'll do,
what do you think?

twinmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Margaret916

thank you notes
Old 12-21-2007, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I really like the idea of giving them individual thank you notes. Out of the 78 sixth graders I teach math to, about 50 of them gave gifts to me.... and over the course of the day/week I wrote notes to them all. I think the kids are lacking the idea of what is appropriate to do and what isn't. However, that being said, if it's hazardous to your health... try printing them our and adding one line of personalization to them? What do you think of that? Then you have less writing...and still give them the idea of a personal thank you....
Margaret916 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rubyslippers

Old 12-21-2007, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have 20 students, only 4 bought gifts, but what I do every year is buy inexpensive Christmas cards at the $ Tree and write "Thank you for the kind gift" or something similar inside it. The kids love to get a card, and it is easier on me.
Rubyslippers is offline   Reply With Quote

mom2six

thank you notes
Old 12-21-2007, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am sending the children bringing me gifts a thank you note to their homes over the holidays. We're going to the coast for part of our break, so I'll pick up a couple cards with a local scene instead of a "regular" thank you card.

They're addressed to the student, but mailing it to their homes will hopefully make sure the parent knows I appreciate them thinking of me too. Otherwise, they would probably still be in a bookbag in June! I only have 2 (of 12) though so it is an easy (and inexpensive process). Plus, as much as we try to reinforce proper behavior and courtesies, I want them to know the importance of saying thank you.
mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote

okteach

Old 12-21-2007, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I hand write thank you's to each one. I figure if they took the time, energy, and money to think of me ,it's the least I can do.

okteach is offline   Reply With Quote

liketeaching1

A Lost Art
Old 12-21-2007, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Writing Thank You notes is almost a lost art. I do write thank you's to my kids for gifts. I think it is a great lesson in being thankful and writing an appreciation for that.

I try to teach my kids to "say" thank you also. If they hear me thank them for little things throughout the day, they will hopefully realize the importance of telling others. I think our society needs to think of other's feelings more often.
liketeaching1 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 12-21-2007, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Making the goodie bags full of candy would have been just as tedious, imo, as writing the thank you's! Plus, it's not the same.

I agree with the other posters. We need to model what is appropriate.
I will spend my Christmas break writing 1-2 a day.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

thank yous
Old 12-21-2007, 09:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

agree with previous posters--you must give them thank you notes.

couple of ideas: hand write several the first couple weeks of december that are "form" notes: "Thank you so much for the ________. It was so sweet of you to think of me. Enjoy the holidays!" (don't actually write the blank, duh.) and then you can fill in the gift that week and not have as much writing to do all at once.

or even have them pretyped (like in a printshop card)--same message as above, and then type in the name and the gift---they'll probably never know everyone got the "same" T/Y card!

just to brag---i decided i did not want any t/y notes hanging over my head this break! i quickly whipped mine out the day kids gave me gifts this year---i also had all my staff t/y's done, as well---whew! (too bad i have no plans for the week after break, stuff is all over and needs to be filed, and i have mounds of grading.....)
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Thank you notes
Old 12-22-2007, 03:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I agree with giving thank you notes. When you are talking about elementary school kids, it's usually the parents that are buying the gifts. I like to give the kids a card, so the parents can see you thanked them, and hopefully realize their gift was appreciated. I know you don't know from one year to the next how many gifts you will receive, but you could write some out ahead of time and store them for next year if you don't use them all. I just put something like, "Thank you for thinking of me. Merry Christmas" and signed my name. I also believe that card giving is a practice that is dying, but I believe it's sad people don't take the extra time to do so.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Thank you notes
Old 12-22-2007, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I hand write thank you notes and send them to the students' homes. I actually write New Year's cards to all my students and write thank you notes inside the ones who gave me a gift. I personally think handwritten notes are extremely meaningful. I know my own children cherished getting mail and absolutely treasured the notes written and sent by their teacher.

I rent a couple of good movies I haven't had a chance to see all year, grab some hot chocolate, turn on the fireplace, and dig in.

Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

tammynj

Old 12-22-2007, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I write out individual thank-you notes to each child I received a gift from. I agree that writing thank-you notes is almost a lost art, and I want to model the correct way of doing it for my kids. I always write something about what they gave me and how much I enjoy it, will use it, etc. Since I do it over Christmas break, I don't have to do them all at one time, so it's not so bad. I just keep the notes until we get back from break and have the notes waiting on their desks when they return. (When I write thank-you notes in June, I mail them to their homes)

In a few weeks, I will be demonstrating how to write thank-you notes to my classes, so I want them to know that I practice what I preach!
tammynj is offline   Reply With Quote

Evergreen

Old 12-22-2007, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

This is my first year teaching.....I will be handwriting a Thank You card to each student. Even though I teach 1st grade, I feel that it is important to set a good example and model that it is important to give thanks.
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

hand write
Old 12-22-2007, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I hand write my thank yous and mail them every year. This year I had them 1/2 started. I had my return address in the corner of the envelope and Thank you for remembering me this Christmas already written on the card. That way I just had to add 1 line about the gift and sign it.
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I also hand write my notes
Old 12-22-2007, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I also hand write my notes and mail them. At the end of the year, when there are contributions towards a class gift, I do design a thank you on computer stationery and I have the party the day before school and put the notes in their folders to go home. Using the computer would not help your carpal tunnel if you did the typing, but perhaps you could design a general note and plug the type of gift in so it would be personalized. This would be less typing once the first note was designed, and you could just print them out. Kids do enjoy receiving the cards, and it is good public relations for the parents to know that their gift, however small, was appreciated by the teacher. Interestingly enough, I receive very few written thank-yous for any of the holiday gift bags I give my children.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

thirdrocks

Old 12-22-2007, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I'm planning on mailing some thank you post cards to my 32 students over break to thank them for the beyond generous gifts they gave me.
thirdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

msharkey

Most Likely in the minority on this one...
Old 12-22-2007, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

but had to add my 2 cents.

Yes, the kids love to get cards but isn't it supposed to be about the sentiment. I gave my students a Nutcracker figurine and a book of The Nutcracker story. I do this because it is a HUGE thing we do in First Grade. I put them in bags for them to open. Sometimes, I include candy but this year I didn't and the kids were so excited.
I computer generated holiday cards for all my children's families to give with the gifts. Yes, handwritten ones woud have been nice but sorry, my life is chaos and for me, the sentiment on this computer generated card is just as strong as one that I would have written by hand.

I also made computer generated Thank you notes to give the children as they handed me gifts. Yes, hand-made ones would have been nice but to me, it is more important to acknowledge the thoughtfulness of others expediciously. (There have been times that I, myself, have received handwritten Thank you notes that were almost 6 months or more after the gift was given.)

So... to the original poster (and by the way, I am a twinmommy as well) - I agree with your mom that it would be fine to give them a bag of candy with maybe a holiday pencil or a box of crayons or a new glue stick in or out of a goodie bag because it is the thought that counts, to me.

For those who have the time to hand write notes to others during this holiday season, it is wonderful but please, do not make those of us whose lives are absolute chaos feel bad about not staying up until 3AM writing personal notes. I have 5 year old twins who just started kindergarten, work an hour (one way) from my job, and have 3 new district initiatives that I am trying to juggle on top of the "regular stuff" like cooking, cleaning, shopping, doctor appointments, etc...

So if someone happens to send you a computer generated card or a beautful photo card of their family, please try to remember that whatever kind of card someone has sent to you (computer generated, handwritten and/or a photo postcard), it was sent to you because somone cares about wishing you a very happy holiday. And if someone sends a computer generated thank you, it is still a thank you for your thoughtfulness, generosity, friendship, etc...

To all my wonderful PT friends and posters, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you all so much for all your advice and generosity of plans and ideas. It it is my sincere hope that each and every one of you have a wonderful vacation that is full of many new memories and one that you are able to dedicate to family.

Merry Christmas,
Shark
msharkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Maestra

I'm with Sharkey!!!
Old 12-22-2007, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I do mail computer generated thank you cards to my student's homes each year. I personalize the front of the card with the child's name and the inside is also a personalized sentiment naming the specific gift. I DO NOT hand write them!!! I have had many parents through the years come in to tell me how much that card has meant to their child. I love it when the kids come back in the New Year and look so surprised and thrilled to get something from me in the mail.

I work in the inner city and don't usually get expensive or lavish gifts. Many of them come from the dollar store. But each gift is treated as if it were the best one I recieved. This year, I will be sending a thank-you card out for a King-size Hershey chocolate bar!!!

Maestra is offline   Reply With Quote
new1stteacher

new1stteacher

Maestra
Old 12-22-2007, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Cute! I will be writing them out for: candy, a used stuffed animal, a hand-made ornament, and some crackers, and a dollar store item with the dollar still marked on it. The kids are so sweet and they are so proud of the gifts they bring me.

OP: I say as long as they get a thank-you note it doesn't matter handwritten or computer typed. I will do mine over the holidays and probably give it to them when they return, not sure I brought their addresses home with me to mail them out. I do mail handwritten notes out over the summer for the last day of school gifts.

Merry Christmas PTers!

ttbw

Old 12-22-2007, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

My handwriting is terrible so I bought cute Christmas or winter paper and typed a nice note to each student. Every students had a similar ending but each one had a different thank you. It worked well for me because it was quick, but it looked nice, not sloppy. Many kids came up to me and thanked me for the letter I gave them.
ttbw is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

another typer
Old 12-22-2007, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I type individual notes on the computer to each child and mention the gift in the note so they know it's not a form letter. I use one of those Hallmark create a card programs and hand address the envelope. But that's a job for AFTER Christmas!!
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

mshelbyk

Quick thank you cards
Old 12-23-2007, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I like to buy the thank you cards that are meant for children to send. I find them next to the birthday party invitations. They are already filled in with a blank for the present. They usually say, "Thanks for the_____ . It's the best! Here's a link to show you what I mean... http://www.myexpression.com/prodBrow...ProdSubCatID=3

I've found them in Hallmark stores, Target, Party supply stores.... If you have a Christmas Tree Shop near you, they are super cheap there!

This way you fill in the present and then sign it!!!
mshelbyk is offline   Reply With Quote

cheri

thank you notes
Old 12-26-2007, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I also hand write notes over break. I have a very busy life (kids 8, 4, 1, and expecting # 4), but I think it is necessary to model good manners to my students. I buy a set of cute cards, write just a few lines, and thank them for the specific gift. I do just a few every day when my one year old is sleeping. It works out. What I really need to work on is getting Christmas cards out!!!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote

aw

Priceless
Old 12-27-2007, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Kids love getting mail. I write handwritten thank you notes and send them to each student. I break it up and write a couple of notes a day, but the kids love receiving mail, and getting a handwritten note from the teacher is priceless.

I do also give each student a couple of books I wrap up and some crayons. The books I use are just free books I recieved throughout the year through scholastic. In the past I have also made a coloring book using pictures I have taken of the students, and turning them into outlined pictures. Kids and parents alike love these.
aw is offline   Reply With Quote

jch

thank you notes
Old 12-27-2007, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Almost all the gifts I get from students are delivered to me by the time school starts in the morning. This year I kept a list, wrote them during my preparation time, and used powerpoint to create note cards. I created about 4 different covers and typed the note on the inside. Each note was different and individualized. I signed my name in my "signature" purple ink. Thank you notes were delivered that day.

This allowed me to get it done in a timely manner and not have it hanging over my head over the holiday. I admire those who can hand write and mail through the USPO, but I just don't think I had the time this year.
jch is offline   Reply With Quote