first grade math centers - ProTeacher Community

nicmik

first grade math centers
Old 12-31-2007, 09:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a second year first grade teacher. I am trying to implement math centers, and I am looking for some simple games or ideas. I have a few math games I purchased at a teaching store. I have a few card games and dominoes and tiles. I am interested in your ideas for some fun math games to reach all learners. Thank you in advance!

nicmik is offline   Reply With Quote

BamaBabe

Math Center Idead
Old 01-01-2008, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have just returned to teaching from administration, so I am a little rusty. My students loved using foam dice.(They are quieter than the hard ones.) These work best with no more than four students. These games could also be played with a deck of cards.

Place Value - roll the die and place the number shown on a premade mat in the ones, tens, hundreds column, etc. Students can work collectively to create the largest number or the smallest.

Addition/Subtraction - roll the die twice, then add or subtract the numbers.

Patterns for even/odd

Since you have tiles they could be used as units of non standard measure and compared to incles, cm

Golden Apple/Rotten Apple - Two people. I demonstrated this on the overhead with one student before the students played the game in centers. You use 9 colored pieces (8 red and 1 yellow). The object is to get the golden apple (yellow piece). At their turn students can remove 1, 2, or up to 3 pieces. This is a great game for problem solving and thnking. You can also play in reverse - Rotten Apple; and you don't want to be the one with the yellow piece.

These are a few things off the top of my head. I hope they help. Don't you just love first graders; they say the funniest things.
BamaBabe is offline   Reply With Quote

BamaBabe

Math Center Ideas
Old 01-01-2008, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Obviously, my spelling is a little rusty too!
BamaBabe is offline   Reply With Quote

ritateach

Money
Old 01-29-2008, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I bought a bunch of plastic money and I have put dimes, nickels and pennies into a small container along with a dice. The children use a placemat to work on so that the dice stays quiet and the money has a place to be as well. One child rolls the dice and takes that many pennies. Before the next child rolls they have to decide whether or not the pennies can be turned in for a nickel or a dime. They keep changing their coins in for bigger amounts. When they're done playing, they count how much money they have collected. (We haven't started quarters yet so that is why they're not included in the containers.)

Another game I have is what we call the Tens Game. The children play it like Fish or Memory. They have to pair up a number (either in their hand or one that is turned up on the table) with another number that makes the sum of 10. So if they have a 6 they have to get a 4.
ritateach is offline   Reply With Quote

msharkey

Math Centers
Old 01-29-2008, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Here is a post from a while ago that I posted my fav math centers with directions and some recording sheets.

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...ad.php?t=46016

Hope this helps,
Shark

msharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
tulie

tulie

first grade teacher
Old 11-15-2008, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I like the idea of the apples game, but am a little unclear as to how to play it. Are they rolling a dice to see how many things they are to peel away? If you could clarify that would be great!
Tulie
Sammie03

Sammie03

Math Games
Old 07-26-2009, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If you are looking for great math centers, look into the books called Developing Number Concepts. They are loaded with great math tubing activities. I used them in my kindergarten classroom and they would work wonders in a first grade classroom.