Help

ARCHIVE

Service Learning Project

>

krecords

Service Learning Project
Old 01-02-2008, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I wanted to get some ideas for my class! I want to do a service learning project, but I am running out of ideas. We have completed school wide projects such as recycling, we have collected cans for homeless shelters, we have sent care packages to troops in Iraq, we will plant trees in the Spring! So, I need something different, that only my class will do, that will impact them and the people they are helping. My school is based on low poverty, so we can help the school or just the community we live in! Any suggestions, would be great!

krecords is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTea

Service Learning Project
Old 01-02-2008, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I was student teaching, my cooperating teacher's classroom was the "Service Learning" classroom, so I had to do a project. We decided to perform a play for our school and community. The money that was collected was used to buy toys for less fortunate (this was at Christmas). This was a 4th grade class, so we integrated all of the subjects around this play. They made posters, had to learn how to count back change (for tickets), reading was about fairy tales (the play was the Elves and the Shoemaker). It was a big success, but it was a lot of work. Maybe you could perform a play and raise some money or just perform it for your school or community. Hope you get some good ideas!
TexTea is offline   Reply With Quote

KarinT

Service Project
Old 01-02-2008, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have made valentines for residents in the Nursing Home. We took pink, red and lavendar plates, foam hearts, pipe cleaners and made really cute valenties. We were able to walk over to the NH to deliver them and sang some songs. Everyone had a good time.

One year we couldn't go because of a flu outbreak. We still sent the valentiens and they were still loved.
KarinT is offline   Reply With Quote

shopperc

Pennies for Patients
Old 01-04-2008, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I live in Minnesota and I think this is a MN based organization, but you could do it for any type of donation. We collect coins. We choose one week during the school year and Mondays we collect pennies, Tues = nickels, Wed = dimes, Thurs = quarters, Friday = mixed change. The class that collects the most money gets a pizza party. Also whichever class collects the most pennies gets something, the most dimes, etc. We have a graph up in the hallway showing which grade level has collected the most so far. It is so great to use as a math lesson all week long too.

Just a suggestion.
shopperc is offline   Reply With Quote