just right book lessons - ProTeacher Community

radicalreader

just right book lessons
Old 01-06-2008, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I read a post on here about just right book lesssons. My kids are not picking just right books anymore. My more advanced readers are picking these books that are obviously too easy for them and my lower readers are picking books that are hard but more interesting. I read a lesson where you compared it to your shoes fitting. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Any one know where it is? I think i'm going to review choosing just right books this week before we just into anything new.

benteach

I have some thing like this at
Old 01-06-2008, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

school - I will try to post it later today or tomorrow - unless some one else posts before me. Goldilocks and the Three Bears works well too--hope that helps.

cathybev

Daily 5?
Old 01-06-2008, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I seem to remember a lesson with shoes in the book the "Daily 5." I think.

iluv3rd

You can use shoes, t-shirts, etc.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You just use the item to model that just right books "fit" like the clothes. Small shoes are tight and uncomfortable and there's no room to grow (you can't work your reading muscles comfortably).... large shoes don't stay on your feet (you can't keep up with the story) or fall off (you lose meaning), etc. Shoes that are just right feel comfortable, allow you to exercise (work reading muscles) and have a bit of room to grow before you need another size (just right books offer a small bit of work but you can handle it on your own). There is also the bike riding analogy (up hill= too hard and you poop out, down hill=too easy, no work, straight road= you still have to pedal to keep going but you don't get worn out). BookMuncher has a photo of the bike analogy on her blog.

I have also modeled reading real books that are too easy, just right and challenging for me. I use a picture book, a novel and an automobile repair guide. The kids observe as I read and think aloud (this isn't keeping my interest, even though there are over 500 pages I keep reading because I can't wait to see what happens next, I can read the words fluently but haven't a clue what they mean, etc)... the lightbulb moment for them is when they realize there are some books that are "too hard" for me!

I have tried it all and after many years of teaching reading workshop think this is the hardest part... getting kids to really choose jr books. I step in when necessary and offer choices so the student can choose but limit those choices to books that are appropriate.

cnewman

Daily 5
Old 01-07-2008, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What is the Daily 5? I have heard it mentioned a few times on this site and was interested in knowing more about it.